• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Neil205

Fan Running After Short Drives

Neil205

Bit of background I replaced the radiator and blue temperature switch in top of the radiator , got the cambelt and water pump replaced and coolant flush and refill 1.9 K Reg Gti , Now after short drives of ten mins the fans are coming on all the time , when I stop the car it will run for around 5 mins after then cut out . Now the 1.6 I have doesn't do this until it gets really hot .

What can I look for that might now be wrong ? Need replaced ?

Thanks

j_turnell

Sounds like a duff fan switch or poor connection. I'm assuming the water temp is normal on the gauge? No air in the system?

Neil205

Ok so I should replace the fan switch then you think ? Connections seem all ok

Anthony

Which fan switch did you fit?

There's several different temperature ratings and if you fit one too cold relative to the thermostat the fans will stay on near constantly.

A purple banded sensor for example switches off at 92 degrees, which is close to the normal running temperature with the hotter 89 degree thermostat option. With that stat you ideally want a red banded switch which switches off at 97 degrees.

Neil205

I fitted a blue one , from euro car parts , so where would I get the red one from and does it fit the same connector ?

Thanks

welshpug

most of them are blue but they have a coloured ring around the base of the socket where it meets the brass, as well as usually having the temperature stamped on the spanner flats.

or look at the box for a part number.

Gaz205

Was the system bled ? Did it need bleeding? What's the temp guage saying?