• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chalky143

How Much More Power Can A 1.9 Gti Genty Take?

chalky143

Hello, im new here and im going to be gradually doing up a peugeot 205 gti gentry to original good condition...but i was wondering how much would the gear box take reliably power wise? i know there de-tuned, im guessing its because of the box, but can it take the extra?

leon

Tesstuff

What did you find out when you looked through the 'Gentry' results after searching ?

chalky143

ive looked and there are no topics on the subject? its proberbly me bieng blind lol.

GLPoomobile

Did you actually use the search function, or have you just skimmed the topics in the different forums? If done correctly (not hard) you will get a long list of topics returned by the search, covering Gentry discussions, and this particular subject has been covered at length recently.

Now go and sit on the naughty step for 10 minutes and think about what you've done.

maturin23

Ah - don't be mean, I did a search and it's not that easy to find anything.

Welcome to the forum Chalky. I'm not a Gentry expert at all, but I do know that short of turbo/supercharger/NOS the standard 1.9 Gearbox can take pretty anything you can get from a normal budget tuning. I would assume that the Gentry gearbox is the same as the 1.9 although I don't know the gear ratios of the Gentry.

The Mi16 engine from the 405 puts 160 hp through what is basically the same gearbox.

cheers

Ian

Tesstuff
Ah - don't be mean, I did a search and it's not that easy to find anything.

Welcome to the forum Chalky. I'm not a Gentry expert at all, but I do know that short of turbo/supercharger/NOS the standard 1.9 Gearbox can take pretty anything you can get from a normal budget tuning. I would assume that the Gentry gearbox is the same as the 1.9 although I don't know the gear ratios of the Gentry.

The Mi16 engine from the 405 puts 160 hp through what is basically the same gearbox.

cheers

Ian

The Gentry is an automatic, and doesn't use the standard 1.9 gearbox.

johno_78

There is not much info about the auto box on this site, so a search often brings up auto bonnets and the like which isn't useful.

I first asked this question about 4 years ago and didn't get any answer as no-one actually knew or simply said "Why bother with an auto, they're rubbish, put a manual in".

Just recently there seems to be an influx of auto drivers on here and more info is available about the gearbox.

As to the original question. I have been using a D6B engine with my auto for nearly 2 years now, with no problems whatsoever. This has included sprints and trackdays where it gets used hard.

I'm now putting a turbo engine onto the gearbox just to see what will happen. i dont expect it to last, but you never know what it's capable of until it breaks.

maturin23

<belm>

I did say I wasn't an expert :P

Just thought we should give a new member a bit of a break.

jimistdt
What did you find out when you looked through the 'Gentry' results after searching ?

As self appointed head of the Official Gentry Owners UK I cannot see why you would try to alienate members of your elite society. Alternatively, if you don't know, say nothing, If you do know help the lad out.

jimistdt

To answer your question chalky, in this THREAD Miles (who knows his way 'round a pug incidently) states he's running 115-120 BHP through a gentry box, and that he wouldnt want to push much more.

Tesstuff
As self appointed head of the Official Gentry Owners UK I cannot see why you would try to alienate members of your elite society. Alternatively, if you don't know, say nothing, If you do know help the lad out.

Bad day at work fella ? :P

p.s Dont give me any suggestions what i should and shouldn't say, and that's an end to it.

Miles

I have no idea what they will take but when the Auto first came out it was a mere 1.6 Carb XU engine, Not sure on the power output but I'll guess at around 90bhp, The the 1.9's came around near the end of production with a detuned 1.9 engine so there must have been a reason for this, But it's much like the 406 turbo abit manual uses the ML box and not the BE with a mere 150bhp and xx Torque.

Might be worth having a Google to see if there's any spec's from the manufactures web site

Tesstuff
I have no idea what they will take but when the Auto first came out it was a mere 1.6 Carb XU engine, Not sure on the power output but I'll guess at around 90bhp, The the 1.9's came around near the end of production with a detuned 1.9 engine so there must have been a reason for this, But it's much like the 406 turbo abit manual uses the ML box and not the BE with a mere 150bhp and xx Torque.

Might be worth having a Google to see if there's any spec's from the manufactures web site

Do you not read my replies to you Miles :P

I found all the autobox specs and details , this one used by the Gentry is rated at 140.I havent worked out if that is power(PS or BHP(less likely being French)) or torque(nm or lb/ft)

GLPoomobile

To answer your question chalky, in this THREAD Miles (who knows his way 'round a pug incidently) states he's running 115-120 BHP through a gentry box, and that he wouldnt want to push much more.

I do believe that Tesstuff, like myself, was questioning how much of a search had been attempted before posting this topic. Far from being an attempt at alienating any new members, it is a gentle bit of encouragement to get in to the habbit of using the search function. Something that is stipulated in the rules, I do believe.

Now I'm as guilty as the next man for sometimes not searching, or being crap at using it, hence I do exercise some restraint before jumping all over others for not doing it. But usually it's because something is hard to find, for instance not being able to search 3 letter words (GTI, S16, SAD, ICV, CAT, CAS etc), searching something so common you get a gazzilion results, or searching something that is commonly mis-spelled. You get my drift. But come on now, Gentry is hardly a commonly used word on the forum (in the grand scheme of things) and I've not yet seen anyone spell it incorrectly (Edit: just noticed the OP has spelled it incorrectly in the title :P ), so it's not going to be a difficult subject to research through the search button. You obviously didn't struggle, Jimi :D And since I have have seen a few topics in the last 6 months discussing the fact that the auto box will not stand up to much torque etc, I knew straight away that a search should return at least a fair amount of info to be starting with.

So I'm sorry If I've offended the newbie*, but it was a polite jab in the ribs to encourage a more efficient use of the forum.

*Note: I'm not sorry actually. My PM inbox has been short of insults lately, so I could do with pissing off a few people.

Edited by GLPoomobile

chalky143

Thankyou everyone,i think il leave it standard ish,il put a k and n on and a new exaust,good service n thats it. Thankyou again. .leon.

Tesstuff
Thankyou everyone,i think il leave it standard ish,il put a k and n on and a new exaust,good service n thats it. Thankyou again. .leon.

Your power will go down if you put a K&N on it, take it from a Gentry owner who knows and has recently changed back to the standard filter and felt the difference.

If you want more performance then lose weight. Remove stuff you wont need :P

GLPoomobile
If you want more performance then lose weight. Remove stuff you wont need B)

Cut your left leg off, that'll save a good few pounds ;) . Unless of course that's why you are driving an auto in the first place, in which case I apologise* for the bad taste joke.

*I don't really :P

Tesstuff
I do believe that Tesstuff, like myself, was questioning how much of a search had been attempted before posting this topic. Far from being an attempt at alienating any new members, it is a gentle bit of encouragement to get in to the habbit of using the search function. Something that is stipulated in the rules, I do believe.

*Note: I'm not sorry actually. My PM inbox has been short of insults lately, so I could do with pissing off a few people.

Thanks for the 'back up' and those kind words mate, it was quite emotional and a memory that will never leave me B)

You are correct i did try and help etc etc, we arent as bad in here as other forums...yet!!! ;)

Edited by Tesstuff

Tesstuff
Cut your left leg off, that'll save a good few pounds :P . Unless of course that's why you are driving an auto in the first place, in which case I apologise* for the bad taste joke.

*I don't really :P

LMAO B);)

cybernck

incidentally, i've just been researching automatic gearboxes :P, later type though.

i've done a bit of research about ZF 4HP-14 4-speed gearbox of Gentry (and other models) now,

it was difficult to find and straight-to-the-point info, but i've managed to find some in the end B).

DESCRIPTION 4 HP 14

4 HP 14 is an automatic transmission for front wheel driven cars with east - west installation and engines up to

183 Nm engine torque and 100 kW power. It has four forward gears, one reverse gear and a fully hydraulic

automatic gear shift control system. The constant gear ratio is between 3.07 and 4.41.

The hydrodynamic torque converter is fully operative in first, second and reverse gears. In third gear, the

transmission works according to the power splitting principle, i.e. only approx. 40 % of the input power is fed

hydraulically into the transmission (via the torque converter), and approx. 60% is transmitted by purely

mechanical means. In fourth gear, all input power is mechanically transmitted to the transmission via the

torsion damper integrated in the torque converter.

The transmission control system operates fully hydraulically.

The main components are:

- Hydrodynamic torque converter with integral torsiondamper

- Four speed planetary section

- Two helical gear sets and lateral shift

- Integrated differential

The transmission’s configuration can be adapted to match the engine used and specific vehicle conditions.

taken from: http://210.101.116.115/fisita/pdf/A149.pdf

exploded diagram and part no's: http://www.jpat.co.uk/jpat_pdfs/ZF%20Acrob...%20%204HP14.pdf

the later ZF 4HP-20 gearbox, used on Pug/Cit cars with V6 engines (and hopefully my 307 too ;)),

is far more advanced (although still 4-gear) and is rated to 330-ish nm's.

hope this helps :P.

Tesstuff

Great info MATE B)

So it's able to cope with 134 bhp and 135 lb/ft of torque or in other words any 8v normally aspirated PSA engine in standard form ;)

So i need a 4 HP 18 auto gearbox.

cybernck

4HP-18 was used on old PRV V6 engines, wasn't it?

damn, my 307 seems to have an AL4 gearbox which is rated only up to 210 nm ;).

by the way, EW10J4 engine has 190 nm, which leaves a very small margin i'd say B).

Tesstuff

I need an autobox that can harness the power of either the 306 Gti engine or my own Gentry engine whilst turbo charged.

I am estimating the maximum bhp at around 180, and the 4 HP 18 was used for the 2.0 8v turbo's within the PSA family.The 605 used it as well.

But i hear rumours it is a huge gearbox , so whether it will fit or not is another matter.

If not i think a Miles type Gentry power boost will suffice.

I found more evidence that the 4 HP 14 box has its limits when i read the Xantia information, it saying that the 1.8 litre, 2.0 litre and NON turbo diesel models use this gearbox, so even the high torque of the 1.9 TD Xantia is too much for it.

I think a 135bhp Gentry will be the ultimate i am afraid B)

Tesstuff
4HP-18 was used on old PRV V6 engines, wasn't it?

damn, my 307 seems to have an AL4 gearbox which is rated only up to 210 nm :P.

by the way, EW10J4 engine has 190 nm, which leaves a very small margin i'd say B).

Here is a Peugeot list of gearboxes used on certain models.

Peugeot Gearboxes

Click 'Specifications' along the top and then 'Vehicle Identification by Chassis Number' on the left.

;)

Batfink

The standard gentry gearbox is huge lol Coupled with the torque converter thingy that sits in place of the manual flywheel and clutch and it must all be a good 50kg. Certainly didnt enjoy removing one thats for sure.

I doubt new ones will be smaller especially if they are more rugged.

Edited by Batfink

Sign in to follow this