• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chris-gti

Clutches And Boxes Be1 And Be3

chris-gti

Hi, i'm half way through my s16 conversion and have hit a small problem. I have used the search and can't find exactly what i need.

my gearbox is a BE-1 (1.6 early box) and the S16 motor i have has a BE-3 fitted, the problem is the clutch is operated different ways (the s16 is pull to dis-engage and the other it push to dis-engage.

My question is, is it possible to use the 1.6 gti flywheel and clutch on the S16 motor so it will work with the BE1 box? or is there something really simple i'm missing? The annoying thing is i already have a new clutch for the 1.6 spare so i was going to use that, although it may not be a good idea with the extra power from the s16? if someone could shed some light on my situation i'd very much appreciate it. I would prefer to use the 1.6 as it has shorter ratios, if this won't, is it possible to use the BE3 bell with the BE1 box?

Thanks, Chris

flipperthebushkangaroo

As far as i understand it you should be able to fit a BE1 type clutch and box as a direct replacement for a BE3 as it mounts to the engine in the same way most of the differences are car based (pedal box etc).

However this is just what i have picked up off here, i have yet to pluck up the courage to replace my own BE1 clutch :rolleyes: , However i'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along to put me right soon :lol:

Best of luck with it, where are you in lincoln? i'm out by woodhall spa if you need a hand.

Roddie

chris-gti
As far as i understand it you should be able to fit a BE1 type clutch and box as a direct replacement for a BE3 as it mounts to the engine in the same way most of the differences are car based (pedal box etc).

However this is just what i have picked up off here, i have yet to pluck up the courage to replace my own BE1 clutch :blush: , However i'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along to put me right soon :lol:

Best of luck with it, where are you in lincoln? i'm out by woodhall spa if you need a hand.

Roddie

Thanks, that's what i thought but the Clutch i have won't bolt to the flywheel (possibly just physically too small?)

ah i'm t'other side of lincoln, towards Newark.

welshpug

what you need is a 1.9 Mi16 clutch, bolted to the S16 flywheel, and a release bearing to suit whichever gearbox you use, if its a BE3 you use the one that comes with the cluth, if its a be1 you need a different release bearing.

chris-gti

Thanks welshpug, looks like i'll have to bite the bullet and buy another clutch. I'm going to be using the BE1, will the standard 1.6 release bearing fit the mi16 clutch?

Edited by chris-gti

welshpug

yes, try Euro car parts or GSF, IIRC the clutch I used for an S16 conversion was just under the £70, it was a Valeo item listed for the BX 16v (easier than asking for a 405 one)

Comes with the BE3 type bearing as I mentioned, put it in your spares box and use the 205 BE1 bearing.

chris-gti

Excellent, thanks again, i will get one ordered.

Sign in to follow this