• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

rikky

Front Suspension Dilemma

rikky

Thought I'd see what people thought as I have a few ideas spinning round in my head.

Had a tiny knocking/clicking noise on the 205 GTi6 so started investigating last night - first point of call making sure suspension components and mounts are tight / rechecking tightness etc.

Naturally it all came to an end after 30 seconds after putting the ratchet on the top shock mount nut and it sheared a stud right off. This is no surprise really and after a few swear words I put it into perspective and it's not that big an issue.

I think the front end seems to sit about 10-15mm too high for my liking (all standard ride height on standard 1.6/1.9 shockers and springs) with the '6 engine.

I'd been reading various forums and posts about the AP coilovers, circa £400 or so, the Gaz ones etc etc etc.

It's just a road car / weekend toy so don't want to go too harsh with anything really. No plans to thrash it round track for hours on end as of yet.

So I think my options are:

1. Keep standard setup as is, just drill out snapped stud and stick a bolt in and be done with it
  2. Replace front shocks with new OE / decent make ones, new bearings/mounts, find some -10mm or -25mm springs
  3. Go down the coilover route without spending £500
  4. other?

Read about 5 threads on here about the AP coilovers and one person rates them highly and the other says they're terrible so it's so varied.

The rear beam height seems decent so don't want to alter that if can be helped either. It just needs to drop a touch at the front I think.

What do we think? :wacko:

Tom Fenton

Bilstein B4 dampers, Eibach springs, done.

Anthony

Cheap coilovers are best avoided. Even the cheaper branded ones are arguably a retrograde step, let alone eBay budget specials.

For a road car I'm firmly of the opinion that a standard OE (or equivalent, e.g. Bilstein B4 dampers) setup works really well when it's in good order, although I agree that they always look about 20mm too high in terms of front arch gap.

The appropriate Eibach Prokit springs for the weight of the engine seem to work well on the road without excessively lowering or ruining the ride and handling/balance. I say "appropriate" as whilst the 7001's specified for a 205 GTi work well for the original alloy 8v engine, IMO they're a bit too low and soft with the extra weight of the boat anchor GTi-6.

In either case, ensuring that things like top mounts, bearings etc are in good order is a must.

rikky

Bilstein B4 dampers, Eibach springs, done.

Thanks, the B4's had popped up a few times in various suspension threads, so been looking around. Looks like people go with the KamRacing configuration which is:

B4 Front & Rears Fast Road Setup Shockers/Dampers - £162.24

Eibach Pro Springs - £120

I have some 309 dampers on the rear at the moment but these are probably worth replacing at the same time so makes sense to get a kit like the above that includes them. I guess I'd then just need the Peugeot top mount sets x2 (503125 - now 503192) and I'm good to go?

Cheap coilovers are best avoided. Even the cheaper branded ones are arguably a retrograde step, let alone eBay budget specials.

For a road car I'm firmly of the opinion that a standard OE (or equivalent, e.g. Bilstein B4 dampers) setup works really well when it's in good order, although I agree that they always look about 20mm too high in terms of front arch gap.

The appropriate Eibach Prokit springs for the weight of the engine seem to work well on the road without excessively lowering or ruining the ride and handling/balance. I say "appropriate" as whilst the 7001's specified for a 205 GTi work well for the original alloy 8v engine, IMO they're a bit too low and soft with the extra weight of the boat anchor GTi-6.

In either case, ensuring that things like top mounts, bearings etc are in good order is a must.

Cheers, thought something was wrong at first with the height but seen a few people mention it. Rear seems spot on so don't want to touch it but don't want to make it really nose-down!

Just rang Peugeot anyway to order the 2 strut mount fitting kits, and the part number above is now replaced with 503192 - approx £57+ vat per side.

Edited by rikky

sp_en_ny

Have to agree with tom, put a 6 in my cab, b4's and eibachs for a 205 on the front with a gti subframe and am very pleased with the handling, ride comfort and height. Sits nice and well planted imo. Rear was lowered to match the ride height at the front but other than that the rear is all standard. So much better than the standard cti set up.

j_turnell

I had 205 gti eibachs on the front of mine with a gti-6 lump and I found they were too soft, bottom out on uneven b roads, and the wishbone angle was starting to go the wrong way. I ended up fitting 206 eibach springs 7024 120. This has improved the wishbone angle and brought the ride height up, probably 20-25mm lower than stock. Handles really well on b4 dampers. From an aesthetic point of view it could be a bit lower but I'd rather go around corners faster and have better ride quality. It has settled slightly, this was when they were first fitted.

photo%202_zpscfaba7vd.jpg

Weser

Have to agree with tom, put a 6 in my cab, b4's and eibachs for a 205 on the front with a gti subframe and am very pleased with the handling, ride comfort and height. Sits nice and well planted imo. Rear was lowered to match the ride height at the front but other than that the rear is all standard. So much better than the standard cti set up.

Didn't realise you had got the conversion done Spencer. Must feel completely different now with the gti suspension. Glad you are enjoying it.

Richie-Van-GTi

If I read right the snapped stud is in the top mount? No point drilling etc, just replace the top mount. As said earlier, replacing top mounts and bearings etc is a must, amazing how much difference a suspension overhaul makes to the ride.

welshpug

top mounts are expensive lumps of steel, I wouldn't bin them for the sake of a broken stud, they won't make a blind bit of difference to the ride.

rikky

I had 205 gti eibachs on the front of mine with a gti-6 lump and I found they were too soft, bottom out on uneven b roads, and the wishbone angle was starting to go the wrong way. I ended up fitting 206 eibach springs 7024 120. This has improved the wishbone angle and brought the ride height up, probably 20-25mm lower than stock. Handles really well on b4 dampers. From an aesthetic point of view it could be a bit lower but I'd rather go around corners faster and have better ride quality. It has settled slightly, this was when they were first fitted.

photo%202_zpscfaba7vd.jpg

This looks spot on, presume the back end's around -25-30mm lower? Wondering how this would compare if I run the setup mentioned - are you suggesting I keep the B4's but change to the 206 spring? My rear isn't lowered but the front just looks a touch high.

If I read right the snapped stud is in the top mount? No point drilling etc, just replace the top mount. As said earlier, replacing top mounts and bearings etc is a must, amazing how much difference a suspension overhaul makes to the ride.

As WP said no point scrapping them, but also it was more a "right now" sort of repair to save forking out hundreds right away for a full new setup. Seems fine anyway at the moment with the drilled out stud, and I've just stuck a new M7 bolt and nyloc through there. Doesn't match but, hey, it's working :)

j_turnell

Yeah stick with the b4's and go with the 206 springs. You can run the 205 eibachs and many do but I personally found they don't handle the added weight at all well. It's like night and day when I fitted the 206 springs. Back is lowered to match.

welshpug

206's jp4 and ew10 lumps are closer to the xu10 than the xu9 are.

sp_en_ny

Hi Andy, Yes got it all done and a bit more just before xmas (pretty much the whole of the front end has been replaced in one way or another.), feels like a different car and am really pleased with it all with no regrets. There were a few little niggles as you would expect with the amount of work carried out but they have all be resolved now. A number of us from the Essex group went for a drive to France, did about 700 miles in 3 days and never missed a beat. You'll have to pop along to a meet not seen you there for a while. All well I hope.

Weser

Glad your enjoying it! Yes I will try to pop over at some point its been a while! Life has got in the way. Both my 205's are in need of repair as well. Hopfully I can get them back on the road soon. Be good to catch up.

rikky

Getting round to this soon.. going with the B4's and the 206 springs listed above.

It's dawned on me I'll be wanting to replace the dust boot tube/sleeve things that cover the damper too.

Anyone point me in the right direction of which one to use/which part number? I've had a look and it's finding generic looking stuff - few different part no's etc.

I'll be replacing the whole strut other than the top mount itself so is there anything else I need that I've missed other than the B4 damper, the new top mount bearing kit, and the spring itself? (and now the dust boots / stops)

EDIT> I'm finding part numbers for the dust boot/stops of:

KYB - 913112
Sachs - 900009

Anyone know if this is correct for the B4's from the 306 (22-045959, 22-045966)?

Edited by rikky