• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Martycush

205 Gti Tailgate Panel

Anthony

Can you PM us? Question about your white 205..

Sure thing - it's long since departed my fleet and has had a couple of owners since, but I still know of it :)

Telf

So my reflective love or hate panel arrived today- Now I take it you glue these things on? There doesn't seem to be any proper way to secure it other than the double sided tape that's all round the edge?

Surely that wont hold it on in the long run?

AlexRS2782

You need to use a very strong double sided tape. I cant remember what I used on my reflective panel as it was a good 6 years ago but I believe it was heavy duty 3M branded one.

It's only now starting to get loose on one of the top edges but it hasn't done badly for about 6 years on the car in all weathers :)

Definitely don't be tempted to bond it on with Tigerseal, etc, as it will be a bastard to remove it (for whatever reason) in the future.

rikky

I'm curious how my plain one will fit, because it's got the lug poking out. Msybe I'm missing something obvious. I thought they slid on and off, eg from the bottom of the tailgate upwards and then the 4 clips hold it in? I'll need to somehow get the pokey-out bit in, then the sides, which will split them. Hmph

That said, I've not got the hatch here, so it can wait for now.

Edited by rikky

Telf

rikky it has 4 clips that attach it

I don't think you can buy them anymore - could be wrong though

Telf

Alex,

Well it came with some tape on but it wasn't up to the job possibly cos its 20 years old!

I tried sticking it with some sealant but it just fell off! now Im having to remove all that from my tailgate ARGGGHHHH!!!!

rikky

rikky it has 4 clips that attach it

I don't think you can buy them anymore - could be wrong though

I've got the 4 clips new

It's how it'll slide up onto the hatch with a pokey-out bit on the moulding that I'm wondering

I'll suss it out :lol:

AlexRS2782

Alex,

Well it came with some tape on but it wasn't up to the job possibly cos its 20 years old!

I tried sticking it with some sealant but it just fell off! now Im having to remove all that from my tailgate ARGGGHHHH!!!!

Yeah the original tape on mine was no good either and dried out.

Just had a look on eBay and I think it was something similar to this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290509241660

The tape on the link above is what I used last year to re-adhere the passenger side skirt on my mums MG ZR and it's done the job well and it does look very similar to what I used on the tailgate panel all those years ago.

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

I've got the 4 clips new

It's how it'll slide up onto the hatch with a pokey-out bit on the moulding that I'm wondering

I'll suss it out :lol:

It's a bit of a fight but it's flexible enough for the peg to ride up the bootlid then pop through the hole.

Telf

Alex,

That looks like it will stick pretty much anything to anything else!

"applications where a strong permanent bond is required on metal surfaces or high energy materails"

I will give it whirl!

iwallers

Would love a grey panel in great condition that's not a Queens ransom if any one has anything?

Thanks

Telf

Ian, Mine was originally grey - I used plasticare to turn it black- I imagine u could use plasticare grey to achieve a good result

Dale

I did what telf said, but black to grey a couple of months ago using plasticare. Worked a treat.

dobboy

I got a ph2 one fron hadrian panels and it looked reasonably good. Never used it or tried to fit it though as i'm ph1.5

nomis

Following this with interest,

I've got the problem that my badly glued by someone else one fell off. I cleaned up the glue off the tailgate and have the panel and some new clips. Problem is there are no rivets on my boot to fix it to, and in fact no evidence any have ever been there.

I suspect I may have a replacement tailgate perhaps from a 205 model that didn't have a rear panel - were there some of these?

Wondering now what I do.

Do I try and fit the replacement rivets I have somehow, potentially drilling holes?

Do I try and stick it on again somehow?

Could anyone doing a replacement take a photo of their tailgate with rivets in and post it please.

Telf

I can photo mine later as the panel is off.

I'd suggest using panel tape like the type linked by Alex a couple of posts up.

It wont come off if you use proper tape.

dobboy

Nornis, i seen what someone had done at the weekend which may be an option fot you, not the best but it works.

They had cut small postage stamp sized pieces of thin aluminium so that they fitted in the panel (behind badges), drilled a hole in them, then drilled a hole on the tailgate, sat the metal where it should sit in the panel, then riveted straight through. It then was covered by the badges.

If you ever need it off again you just drill the rivet out.

nomis

Thanks Telf, I'd appreciate that.

Dobboy, that's what I was wondering if I may have to do. I've got the clips and the rivets, just no holes for them to go through.

How do the badges come off the tailgate panel? Mine are pretty solidly attached. Are they just pull off and glue back on jobs?

nomis

Although having the back panel off and the boot blank did lead to a funny moment the other night.

Guy in a Saxo pulled up next to me at the lights, then started laughing and signalled over as he put his window down.

I put my window down.

He said: 'I pulled up behind you at the lights and thought I'm not sitting behind that, then I moved over next to you and saw what it really was - that's what mine's trying to be. Great car mate.'

• Like 1

dobboy

Thanks Telf, I'd appreciate that.

Dobboy, that's what I was wondering if I may have to do. I've got the clips and the rivets, just no holes for them to go through.

How do the badges come off the tailgate panel? Mine are pretty solidly attached. Are they just pull off and glue back on jobs?

If you have the "correct" rivets you could just drill the tailgate and fit the panel the way it should be fitted ? (somebody on the forum will have a pic that will explain everything....before drilling tailgate as iirc the rivets will have to be put on off centre to allow the clip to be fitted.)

The badges should be on with double sided automotive tape, maybe best getting the hairdryer on to them then carefully remove. You'll need new tape to refit them.

ScoobyJawa

Another vote for 3m VHB tape - its the stickiest thing known to man! I've used it on a few applications and its been great....

Telf

3M VHB was a total failure, the panel is slightly more convex than the tailgate so it wont adhere to the tape.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a glue etc that I can bond it permanently with?

rikky

If you want to stick it on there permanently and you're not fussed about mess afterwards eg removing it, Tigerseal is going to be your best option. It is horrendous stuff for removing but it will make sure it stick

It also takes months to come off your hands so wear gloves

Edited by rikky

Telf

Rikky,

Does it cure quickly? this panel seems determined to pop off, I can see myself having to hold it for hours!

Telf

I think it may have been used on my rear quarter badges they are stuck on with some unearthly substance