• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Gaz205

Wurth Grey Plastic Dye

Gaz205

Has anybody any experience of the wurth grey/anthracite grey for refurbish ph1 bumpers and trims?

Plenty on here about black bumpers but not much grey. Any other tried and tested grey products?

Thanks

sp_en_ny

I have used that stuff in the link above, looks nice does a good job but the next time you wash the car patches appear all over and looks as bad if not worse then a faded bumper. I have tried several products over the years and not been impressed with the longevity of any of them. I am fed up of wasting hours reapplying just for a couple of weeks of it looking nice and am now of the opinion that the only permanent fix is to paint them.

sp_en_ny

I have not tried the wurth stuff and if I was going to try again that would have been next on my list.

GLPoomobile

I have used that stuff in the link above, looks nice does a good job but the next time you wash the car patches appear all over and looks as bad if not worse then a faded bumper. I have tried several products over the years and not been impressed with the longevity of any of them. I am fed up of wasting hours reapplying just for a couple of weeks of it looking nice and am now of the opinion that the only permanent fix is to paint them.

Are you experiencing this on one particular car or numerous? Because to me that sounds like you have applied it on an imperfect surface and it's not bonding correctly in places. I say this because I've used Plasticare in the past (way back when it was the go-to product on this forum) and never had the problems you describe. It has a limited lifespan, but lasted a loooooooong time for me and never went patchy like that. I've used Gtechniq C4 on my Volvo and that didn;t last as long as the Plasticare but it also didn;t go patchy either. I've bought some of the stuff linked above for my Saab but not used it yet.

sp_en_ny

Well I washed the car then went over the plastic trim with white spirit to remove as much of the grease and any remaining grime as poss. Not sure what other prep I could have done.

On the interior plastics such as the winder handles that were chalky white they still look lovely and black and very pleased, but all exterior trim has gone patchy.

The Gtechnic stuff I found was crap and way over priced. Autoglyn bumper restorer is crap, that dye of ebay whilst I was not impressed with the longevity has been the best stuff so far.

Never got to try the plasticare stuff but have been told by many it was the best stuff to use.

All of the time and effort I have so far wasted could probably have painted everything properly in that time. The only thing that puts me off with doing that is the aggro removing it and fear of breaking anything and not getting it back on properly.

Gaz205

All the above noted thanks, so wurth may be worth a try. I'm willing to be a Guinea pig

Gaz205

Lastly , the originality aside, would black dye actually look better and give a better finish on the grey trims? I have nothing against bumpers and trim being black dyed. Just wondering if it's been done and if it covers well and gives a better look than a grey dyed trim?

I'm new to the light restoration of these parts

Thanks

sp_en_ny

Pretty sure my front bumper is more Grey then black and not like the rest of the trim in terms of colour. I used the black dye and it did change the colour and so the front bumper was a better match to the rest of the trim colour.

GLPoomobile

Well I washed the car then went over the plastic trim with white spirit to remove as much of the grease and any remaining grime as poss. Not sure what other prep I could have done.

On the interior plastics such as the winder handles that were chalky white they still look lovely and black and very pleased, but all exterior trim has gone patchy.

The Gtechnic stuff I found was crap and way over priced. Autoglyn bumper restorer is crap, that dye of ebay whilst I was not impressed with the longevity has been the best stuff so far.

Never got to try the plasticare stuff but have been told by many it was the best stuff to use.

All of the time and effort I have so far wasted could probably have painted everything properly in that time. The only thing that puts me off with doing that is the aggro removing it and fear of breaking anything and not getting it back on properly.

See now I found the Gtechniq to be great. It is expensive but a little goes a long way and it lasts a decent amount of time, so pound for pound I see it as no more expensive than old fashioned trim treatments that need to be reapplied every few weeks.

I have heard that white spirit is not a perfect product for surface prep. Something like it has traces of silicone in it, or something. Don't remember exactly, all I remember is the recommendation not to use it as the final stage of prep. Maybe that was the issue in your case.

Edited to add: I wouldn't bother with painting unless you are highly competent or getting it done professionally. Years ago when it was a lot more common, pretty much everyone on here who went that route found that it would flake and peel eventually. Trust me, flaked paint looks a million times worse than faded original bumpers, or patchy/streaky dye. My last one had the trims painted before I got the car, and they were an absolute dogs dinner within months after I bought it. Spent ages cleaning as much off as I could, treated them with a couple of coats of plasticare, and ~10 years later when I sold it last month they still looked OK (not as dark and fresh as they were obviously, but not bad). In those 10 years it spent a lot of that time outside on the street and was rarely washed.

Edited by GLPoomobile

sp_en_ny

Using the white spirit might have been the cause, I did try reading up a lot and that seemed to be the most popular re-occurring suggestion to do which is why I did it. Thanks for the pointers regarding painting the trim. mine is often protected by a cover now days and fingers crossed this summer will be nestling in a garage as well to further remove it from the elements so hopefully will help somewhat.

I just hate the faded plastic look and hate investing hours to treat it, be pleased with the fruits of my labours to then seen within weeks it starts going patchy.

GLPoomobile

I might have got it wrong about the white spirit. This is quite interesting and doesn't seem to suggest avoiding it

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=202505

Only other thing I can think of is the quality of the white spirit. I bought some from Asda last year just to use as a brush cleaner whilst decorating. That stuff is absolute mince! Seems barely any more effective than cold water and soap.

sp_en_ny

On the subject of painting them, would you go for a gloss or matt finish ?

Gaz205

I don't think I would use white spirits, or just doesn't sit right with me, I would use a panel wipe at least.

I've a similar thread running asking about cleaning the trims and decided I'm gonna go with a black dye, just need to choose one. I'll lose originality by going black but to be fair in the end they will more thank likely look a darker grey.

Painting them isn't something id want to do. If it's not done right I would be left with a mess.

Done right though I'd choose a Matt finish

GLPoomobile

Speak to dobboy on here about painting. He had his bodyshop do it when they resprayed his 205. They used a matting agent to give it texture. So far as I know it looks almost OE (not actually seen it myself).

Edited by GLPoomobile

Leslie green

Going to get some of that black ebay dye to give it a try .

dobboy

Speak to dobboy on here about painting. He had his bodyshop do it when they resprayed his 205. They used a matting agent to give it texture. So far as I know it looks almost OE (not actually seen it myself).

That's nearly correct GLP, they are very good and no flaking nearly 3 years on, thankfully!

Full kit and bumpers, tailboard, quarter badges and sunroof trim etc. They're maybe not 100% OE but close, and certainly a lot better than they were.

They were cleaned by me with IPA and I made sure they were spotless, then by painter with panel wiped I assume.

Plastic primed.

Texturised with a light haze of a fancy paint

Painted with RAL7021 with a matting agent added to reduce sheen.

I remember the painter said the texturiser had to be put on almost immediately from it being mixed up as it goes off very quick, and all the coats are very light I'm sure.

Wing mirrors were done plastic primed and painted. Roof spoiler was also done too but I'm not sure what he done.

I asked how much it would have been to have got this lot done on there own and he recon'd about £600 at the time.

Rjuhar

Is plasticare still arround? I'd need a bottle or three.

Gaz205

Is plasticare still arround? I'd need a bottle or three.

I searched but never found....

sp_en_ny

Been trying for last couple of years to source a bottle but does not seem to be any about.

welshpug

I would not be surprised if Plasticare is the Wurth Dye decanted into smaller bottles, it used to only be available in Litres at about £50 iirc.

Gaz205

I would not be surprised if Plasticare is the Wurth Dye decanted into smaller bottles, it used to only be available in Litres at about £50 iirc.

I've just started using this on my grey trims and its transformed them in one coat. They are now black, what more can I say!

Type-R

I wonder if bed liner would work

Pugleyrich

Doesn't the Wurth only come in a darker phase 2 colour? I messaged the Plasticare seller a while ago but didn't get a response. I'd be surprised if it came back on the market at all.

Gaz205

Doesn't the Wurth only come in a darker phase 2 colour? I messaged the Plasticare seller a while ago but didn't get a response. I'd be surprised if it came back on the market at all.

Grey or black ... I fancied the black as I thought it would cover up marks and scuffs a bit which it does