• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Jaytiler

Aftermarket Red Inserts?

Jaytiler

I'm wanting to swap the silver inserts for red but I'm having a nightmare sourcing some. I've found some aftermarket ones but the profile is different. Has anyone fitted these or do they look crap?

• Like 1

Jaytiler

The bumper and kit inserts I mean

GLPoomobile

If you've already got silver then just buy some red vinyl wrap and stick it on. Cheap, simple to apply, will look fine and should last well enough and easy to remove if it's damaged or you make a hash of it. Only potential downside is whether it would stand up to UV and be fade resistant, but since most vinyl wrap is sold for use on cars these days you'd expect it to be fine.

Leslie green

I read on here I think that some powdercoat the silver ones as they are far more durable than the red ones which are made of tinfoil and dent very easy

farmer

I powder coated silver bumper ones red very successfully and cheaply

Jaytiler

I powder coated silver bumper ones red very successfully and cheaply

How much did you pay? Just to give me a rough idea thanks

farmer

I gave him about 50 strips to do

Worked out about 3 quid per unit

• Like 1

Jaytiler

Wow, that's a good price!

Thank you, I will look up some in the area

farmer

I had a few of course and good friends with the powdercoater

Both things to put into the equation a little

toolie72

If you've already got silver then just buy some red vinyl wrap and stick it on. Cheap, simple to apply, will look fine and should last well enough and easy to remove if it's damaged or you make a hash of it. Only potential downside is whether it would stand up to UV and be fade resistant, but since most vinyl wrap is sold for use on cars these days you'd expect it to be fine.

Agreed

It is a bit of a faff but it covers small marks etc, I used 25mm wide stuff from eBay then just trimmed excess of with a Stanley blade

Over a year, cars never garaged and it's still shiny red (and about 20 metres left lol)

All I could get at time was silver strips so red vinyl was MY best option

If I'm right (so I'll be wrong lol) the silver strips are thicker/harder to bend by accident?

Jaytiler

Thanks everyone ????????

GLPoomobile

Agreed

It is a bit of a faff but it covers small marks etc, I used 25mm wide stuff from eBay then just trimmed excess of with a Stanley blade

Over a year, cars never garaged and it's still shiny red (and about 20 metres left lol)

All I could get at time was silver strips so red vinyl was MY best option

If I'm right (so I'll be wrong lol) the silver strips are thicker/harder to bend by accident?

Yep, just seems the cheapest, easiest and best option to my mind. It's readily available, and commonly used for wrapping exterior car parts. It's cheap, certainly cheaper than powder coating and probably painting by rattle can too. It's resilient, so will fare better against a stone chip than powder coating, and can be easily replaced if damaged. And it's non-permanent so the chrome strips don't have to be sacrificed. And lastly, as you can DIY it you have full control of the process and don't risk accidental damage by the hands of someone else doing powder coating.

Unless someone can give a sensible reason why it's not an ideal option, to me it seems a clear winner.

• Like 1

welshpug

definitely worth a go, I did my 309's strips in chrome which lasted well.

does need to be decent uv resistant stuff that'll stretch, certain types dont (can't recall the names sorry! but any decent vinyl guy will know what to supply)

a sharp scalpel and a hairdryer or heat gun are the main tools you need, a squeegee wont be much use on a small delicate part.