• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
James Cornell

Driveshaft...or Something Else?

James Cornell

So I have had a total saga with my 1.9 205 GTi since last year when i fitted a new SKF driveshaft that was not machined correctly and as a consequence spooned my N/S wheel bearing several times.

After being refunded for the faulty part and replacing the wheel bearing and driveshaft (with a pukka Spoox driveshaft) it is now rumbling every time I turn right at over 30mph (I.e. Under load) but no rumbling when turning left even at high speeds and WOT.

Daren at Spoox gave me a new driveshaft and it is even worse with this new one fitted. I at the stage where I don't know what this can be...diff bearings maybe???

One thing i can tell you is that it is a total pig to fit the driveshaft to the point that the only way I can get the lower arm to locate with the driveshaft installed is to remove the suspension strut from the hub and then fit the lower arm before using a jack to relocate the strut into the hub, this does

Not seem normal to me! Could the chassis be bent/damaged from the ill fitting driveshaft or maybe previous damage that I am not aware of???

I am just at the point where I feel like torching the car and I have taken the N/S apart so many times in the last 3 months that I can do it blindfolded!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ????????

welshpug

new shaft sounds too long, the noise is likely to be the inner joint bottoming out

James Cornell

If I get it properly compressed it does seem too long....

And

What sort of plunge do you have on it? Drup, ride high and full compression,

Also guess you are not on Rose Joint lower arms and long travel dampers as mine like that I have to remove the inner arm bolts to remove and refit shafts,

Edited by And

toolie72

You said new driveshafts worse so you've answered your own question-I had exact same on drivers side only mine was too short?!?!

Seems like a blooming minefield now-you pay your money and it doesn't fit, not even factors fault

Makes for scary driving though (or am I an old pussy now? Lol)

James Cornell

Mine is just a standard road car with billstein

shocks that are slightly lowered.

Standard Lower arms hubs etc with a seabed rear with billsteins and slightly lowered again

And

Check the plunge should be 5-20mm but I always aim to have around 10-15 on my setup I have just been measuring mine as getting a nearside shaft from Colin satchell, yours should show up easy jacked up and on the ground if it's that bad.

James Cornell

There is sod all plunge movement, it is rock solid once the lower arm is in

welshpug

thats not right at all then.

James Cornell

Honestly I have to wrestle the bloody things in

James Cornell

I had a chat with Daren this morning and he concurs with the comments you have made regarding the plunge, of lack there of.

He suggested seeing if there is any adjustment to be had in the engine mounts as that could provide the 10-20 mm that would allow the shaft to fit correctly.

The weather is awful today so I'll tackle this one tomorrow night and let you know if it works ????

welshpug

youll get about 10mm from the transmission mount at the most i think but even with it hard up to the left you shouldn't be that tight on clearance.

James Cornell

Well blow me, it's only worked!!!!!

I loosened the Transmition mount and pushed the box with my feet, nipped it up and refitted the shaft and now I can do full lock and no rumble.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????

What a result!

Now to see if the dizzy oil seal I changed has stopped the oil leak...

Thank you all, you have been brilliant as ever

Edited by James Cornell