• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cammmy

Rod Bolt Re-use

cammmy

I'm changing the big ends on the valver and would like to know if I can re-use the rod bolts or if they need replacing too?

Can I measure them and re-use if they are within a certain spec?

MiCRO
I'm changing the big ends on the valver and would like to know if I can re-use the rod bolts or if they need replacing too?

Can I measure them and re-use if they are within a certain spec?

I'm no expert, don't know if they are re-usable, but I wouldn't take a risk, they can't be so expensive. I know it's recommended to change head bolts, and I think rod bolts are under much more stress than head bolts.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Ryan

You can reuse them if they're in good condition as they don't stretch by any great amount.

New ones are £10 each these days.

MiCRO
You can reuse them if they're in good condition as they don't stretch by any great amount.

New ones are £10 each these days.

Not cheap, but still, you rebuild your engine once in what, 20 years? So I wouldn't go and save money on such an important part.

cammmy

hmmmm. My post just dissapeared.

Anyway, it pretty much said:

These are for the valver which has 285,000km on the clock but it still goes (very) well and doesn't blow smoke. I think the big ends are showing there age though.

Have got a set of bearings and ARP studs/nuts that I will put in this weekend, hopefully with a windage tray and baffled sump if my brother can weld everything up before then.

Sign in to follow this