• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

nickaliath

Gti-6 Engine Loom Wiring Guide / Help Information

baz205gti

hi guys this could be long but please read :)

Right, ive been doing a gti6 conversion on my 1987 205 on and off for over a year, i know im rubbish but never have time to get on with it.

Last year it was all up and running had my four branch properly fitted to my exhaust system and was ready for the mot, all i needed to do was weld in some new seat mount bars as the standard holes were shot.

We disconnected the battery as you do and spent a couple of evenings welding them in, all done i hooked the battery back up and tried to fire her up but all she did was turn over. checked about and found some earth wires on the engine loom on gti6 side of mated loom had melted so having a spare loom which i double checked over i replaced it.

some of the wirers on this other loom were different so i this time followed the tech info that is placed on this post but still she dont wanna fire. need some fresh eyes or words as im lossing the plot with my 205.

other then fuel pump, coils and injection what else could be up, hope ive not fried the ecu.........................

i live in bucks, anyone in the area done the conversion who could check my ecu on their wagon ??

Barny

Edited by baz205gti

Masekwm
9 Pin plug

52 Reverse light (dark grey)

53 Reverse light (purple)

47 Coolant light (yellow)

47a coolant gauge (red)

7a Alternator light (dark grey)

30 oil pressure light (purple)

30a oil temp gauge (white)

30b oil pressure gauge (grey)

32a tachy relay (yellow)

Has anyone else found a thick red unnumbered wire between 30b and 32a?

Looking at this photo

DSC00051.jpg

I don't have the thick wire in the smaller plug, I guess my switched live has just been moved over, is that possible?

Edited by Masekwm

Anthony

The ignition (thick red wire #2) and starter (thick light blue #46) swapped positions between Phase 1.5 and Phase 2 cars

• Like 1

welshpug

as Anthony said, it did vary, here's mine -

PICT0350.jpg

PICT0352.jpg

Masekwm

It sure did, here's mine...

2008_01050007.jpg

mattl
Here is how i did the connections of the two looms. I joined the two multiplugs that i cut off of the 205 gti loom to the wires from the 19 pin round plug from the gti-6 loom

GTI-6 19pin round plug - 205 brown multiplug

Beige 401 coolant temp sender - Red 47a coolant gauge

Yellow 410 oil pressure warning light - Purple 30 oil pressure light

Red 411 oil temp sender - White 30a oil temp gauge

Grey c120 reverse light switch - Dark grey 52 reverse light

Orange 220 reverse light switch - Purple 53 reverse light

Dark brown 1070 alternator warning - Dark grey 7a alternator light

Thick White 120 Fuel pump - White 76 fuel pump

white 400 coolant temp gauge sender - yellow 47 coolant light

Grey CC1 air bag control Switched live & grey 123 lambda switch live - Red 2a switched live

Red 426 rev counter - Grey 112b tacho feed

Thick White 100 switched +live to starter - Blue 46b starter

yellow 414 oil level gauge - grey 30b oil pressure gauge (i wired the gti-6 wire plug end to go to the 205 oil pressure gauge that i have mounted on a t-piece)

yellow/green m444 permanent earth - m ignition amp permenant earth

Here is a list of the wires not connected 205 gti first, only one wire not connected:

32a tachy relay Yellow

heres the 306 gti-6 wires not connected, five on this loom.:

140 obd socket Green

121 obd socket beige

480 engine fault light beige

415 oil level gauge green

465 vehicle speed sensor yellow

any wires not used make sure they are sealed at the ends to stop any earthing out etc.

hi im new to the forum so not exactly sure how to use it yet :/

iv been collecting things for a gti6 conversion over the last month or so and yesterday was the day of truth, got the engine in o.k and used the post above as a wiring 'guide'. when turning the key it turns over but doesnt fire up (no fuel getting to the rail) and the battery light on the dash seems to come on whens its ment to be off and off when its ment to be on (i have fully charged battery). can anyone help me with this issue? ill get some pics of it today and post them up (if i can work out how haha)

pug_ham

If there is no fuel getting to the rail, has the inertia switch (if fitted) been triggered?

If you've remove it & joined the wires for the plug but the pump still isn't running, is it due to the crossed wires on the 205 loom being connected wrongly?

Is the fuel pump fuse blown or removed?

Graham.

Anthony

Do you have spark? If not, could be a locked ECU as well... but certainly firstly, check and double check you've got voltage at the required pins on the double relay.

Masekwm

All the loom on mine is done apart from I don't have 411, I have 412 which goes to a plug next to the oil level sensor. Is it just a Friday loom? Oh yeah, and it's white not red

Edited by Masekwm

Brian M

Hello! Just a quick question, does anyone know of the differences between a 309 loom from the 205 diagram? Is it just the case that the ignition and starter positions will differ just like the different phases of 205? Thanks in advance.

Brian M

Since i can't edit/delete. The 309 loom i bought has now arrived and it appears very similar to the 205 ones anyway - just different colours as has been mentioned already. Thanks.

springs

Hi guys.

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but i was wondering if anyone has a physical layout of the 19 pin connector? I'm trying to find a problem with my gti-6 engine in a 306 and this is by far the best info i've found that could help me but i need to know which pins to look at on the connector.

rallyeash

with the wiring as it is you need to do an alteration to the existing rev counter to make it function.

you need to remove the display cluster, remove the clear plastic front window (which is held on by being clipped in around edges).

then you need to remove the two 6mm bolts that hold the rev counter part on and the small flat head screws next to the needle.

once you have done the above remove the needle taking care, its pushed on a pin.

with all this removed you will be able to prise out the rev counter face, take care as the face readings are stuck in the corners (well mine were).

you will see this when removed:

th_DSC02946.jpg

th_DSC02949.jpg

you will need to solder a wire across where marked with pen.

th_revcounter.jpg

below you can see where i have soldered a wire in place. (take care when soldering not to make it too hot)

th_DSC02953.jpg

job done, now refit and it should work a treat.

sorry for dragging an old thread up...

ive just done this mod to my rev counter, ive seen a number of ways of how people are doing there tacho mods and im starting to get confused with whats what. before i stick all the dash back together this method would work with aftermarket managment?

huwjones

Just to add to this, the 306 was never fitted with an oil pressure gauge. The chap who has done this guide has connected the oil level gauge to the pressure gauge on the 205. The oil level gauge on the 306 was an indication as to how much oil you had in the sump - not oil pressure while the engine was running. I don't know if the VTS had an oil pressure gauge.

You can fit an oil pressure sensor off a 205/309 to the xu10 oil gallery and use the level sensor wiring to connect to it.

Edited by huwjones

welshpug

the phase 1 had an oil pressure gauge, as did the ZX

jackherer

I don't know if the VTS had an oil pressure gauge.

No, it has an oil level gauge which becomes an oil temp gauge when the engine is running.

nickaliath

Just to add to this, the 306 was never fitted with an oil pressure gauge. The chap who has done this guide has connected the oil level gauge to the pressure gauge on the 205. The oil level gauge on the 306 was an indication as to how much oil you had in the sump - not oil pressure while the engine was running. I don't know if the VTS had an oil pressure gauge.

You can fit an oil pressure sensor off a 205/309 to the xu10 oil gallery and use the level sensor wiring to connect to it.

I fitted the oil pressure gauge from the 205, ill check the wiring but i think its ok?!

jaggers12

ive done this rev counter mod to my 205 phase 1.5 but i dont have a wire 112b that connects to red wire from the ecu. so which wire do i connect it to instead

Karl

hi do you have any info on the phase 1 wiring many thanks :unsure:

shalmaneser

No, it has an oil level gauge which becomes an oil temp gauge when the engine is running.

Does that functionality work on the 205? my oil temp gauge works perfectly, but it doesn't do anything funny when the engine isn't running?

jackherer

No, the 205 clocks don't have the circuitry to support it. Citroen BX clocks do and they physically fit into 205s and with some extra work would support the level gauge. A lot of effort for little gain though, just use the dipstick!

cybernck

This is a great thread, thanks to everyone involved.

However, looking at my loom, I don't have the round multiplug or the wires leading to it at all :wacko:.

The insulation has been partially removed but nothing appears to be cut (at least in that section)? :huh:

The engine is from a 1997 car (phase 2 model, by the looks of the car).

Some crappy photos:

post-4-0-83333700-1333663242_thumb.jpg post-4-0-36694400-1333663251_thumb.jpg

Thanks.

welshpug

shouldn't be far away from that section you have there, can you lay the loom out and take a pic of it complete?

cybernck

Yeah, looking at other people's loom photos, I figured out it should be at the junction where the bitron module and other wires come out - but it's not there!

I'll try to take some better photos tomorrow.