Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[car_restoration] My Longwinded 1.9 Laser Project

653 replies to this topic

cRaig

cRaig
  • Pitcrew+
  • 1,472 posts
  • Name:Craig
Garage View Garage

Well, this is not a post I particularly thought I'd end up writing, and its still hypothetical at this stage, I've not fully made up my mind, as I'm just wondering out loud really.. if I were to sell the 205, I'm wondering what spec it would be best to do so?

I'm just not sure there would be any market for the direction Ive taken the 205, as most people are interested in standard cars at the moment, plus there is the benefit of selling off the mods seperately. But how far back to standard to take it? Remove the PAS, back to standard management etc? Back on silver speedlines? Could all be quite a lot of work in its own right.

Been a bit of upheaval in the last year, as I'm in a new job, in a new location etc, and currently looking to rent a garage somewhere nearby in order to progress the 205 (which is very diffcult to find in its own right) but the costs soon stack up, garages around here seem to go for £130-£150 per month for something decent, which quickly adds up.. over 5 years it could easily be in the region of 9 grand! Which would go a long way towards a house deposit etc.. Plus the costs of actually running/insuring the 205.. its all just starting to seem not quite worth it.

Obviously I've had periods of not having a great deal of enthusiasm for it before, but never has the rational option appeared to be to sell it quite so strongly..

Dunno, answers on a postcard? Is it worth the cost/hassle? Anyone wanna buy it? *shrugs*

Edited by cRaig, 30 March 2017 - 07:12 PM.

AndyCrom

AndyCrom
  • Drivers
  • 122 posts
  • Name:Andrew Cromarty
Never thought I'd hear you say that!

Still being said tho, knowing the attention to detail you've been putting behind it I'm sure there would be some very serious individuals out there who would want it as it currently is, if I hadn't bought my first house recently I'd be throwing you a serious offer.

There's not many Lazers left out there let alone ones looked after like yours has been so if it comes to the crunch try to sell it as is, if it doesn't grab the attention that I undoubtedly think it will then it may come time to revert back to as near standard can be for the purists.

allye

allye
  • Pitcrew+
  • 3,716 posts
  • Name:Ali Williams
Garage View Garage
As soon as you drive it you'll change your mind.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing etc, every middle aged/older chap you ever spoke to would have said "I wish I never sold that car", this applies more than any other time to this car!

cRaig

cRaig
  • Pitcrew+
  • 1,472 posts
Garage View Garage

As soon as you drive it you'll change your mind.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing etc, every middle aged/older chap you ever spoke to would have said "I wish I never sold that car", this applies more than any other time to this car!

Yeah, perhaps. I think in all honesty my regret is that I've over restored it, and gone too far with it. Its very difficult to "relax" and "enjoy" this car, I think a lot more joy could be had from wringing the neck of something rougher and readier. I don't really know what the "point" of this particular 205 is any more. Its not a show car, as its gone away from standard, and and is far away from concourse, but its not really practical enough for regular use/abuse, and therefore needs to be tucked away in a garage, which is just more costs, just to have it kicking around on the offchance I get enthusiasm back for it.

While I was pretty busy last year, according to this thread there hasnt been any meaningful progress on it since September 2015.. which is just taking the p*** really.. Whats the point of having it if its just an ongoing cost while it slowly rots away..?

Edited by cRaig, 30 March 2017 - 07:39 PM.

allye

allye
  • Pitcrew+
  • 3,716 posts
  • Name:Ali Williams
Garage View Garage
Bite the bullet and just start using it. Then 10years down the line you get the enjoyment of restoring it again!

Leslie green

Leslie green
  • Drivers
  • 123 posts
  • Name:Leslie

No point spending a lot of time and money changing it back to standard for someone else to enjoy either keep it or sell as is.Many people with hindsight say they wish they had never sold cars but that's mainly because they see what they are worth years later when at the time their car was a beat up old piece of scrap they couldn't wait to get rid off !

£150 a month just to keep it in a shed for years to come isn't worthwhile at all ,put it on the road as said and get some enjoyment from it .

GLPoomobile

GLPoomobile
  • Drivers
  • 7,334 posts
  • Name:Barnaby Worthington-Titwank III
Don't underestimate the appeal of what you've done to that car! If I had some serious wedge kicking about in my account right now, doing nothing, I would seriously be interested. Would take yours over a bone stock mint one any day. Perfect colour and you've gone the OE+ route which is exactly my cup of tea.

Might sound like a lot of hot air cos I'm skint so it's irrelevent, but I've always admired this 205 and what you've done to it. It's a special car indeed.

Tesstuff

Tesstuff
  • Drivers
  • 1,291 posts
  • Name:Daz

I am interested in it as it is Craig if you want to start a poll :)

pugdamo

pugdamo
  • Drivers+
  • 1,017 posts
  • Name:Damian
Garage View Garage
I agree with glpoo,I think all the things you have done are things that make the car nice to live with and enjoy as a day to day car, plus they have all been done to such a high standard.
If you want one you can use and abuse you can have mine and I'll have yours lol.
I think with all the work you've done just use it and enjoy it, but I see the point if you've lost the love, just hope you don't come to regret it if you sell it,also I don't think you would struggle to sell it as it is, probably someone lurking on here would have it.

Edited by pugdamo, 30 March 2017 - 09:29 PM.

JamPug

JamPug
  • Drivers
  • 83 posts
  • Name:James
Please don't return it to standard this car is far too special 😢

steve@cornwall

steve@cornwall
  • Veterans
  • 3,697 posts
  • Name:Steve !
After all the effort gone into this, i think you would really regret not finishing it 100% as you intended even if you do sell it. Our tastes and priorities change throughout our lives and the beauty of the trusty 205 has been that it's been relatively affordable to change our cars along with this. With recent pricing of cars and parts this is becoming unrealistic for most now. Also, what a short while ago would have I been a terrific daily car could now seem to precious to use as such! But it isn't just a car, it's evolution has been a part of you for a long time and i reckon you would forever regret not completing it.
Of course if you get to a point you need the cash in hand it will be a no brainer.Many years ago i needs to sell my 1275gt for furniture purchase in a new house. Much as i loved that car (and it looked great with ribbons etc for my wedding) i never regretted the sale.

cRaig

cRaig
  • Pitcrew+
  • 1,472 posts
Garage View Garage

On the road again...

Decided that moaning and not doing anything wasnt really an option, so have found a (very) expensive garage to rent a 10min cycle from both my work and where I'm living, so the plan is to start pottering with it in evenings and weekends to get back some enthusiasm for it.

In fairness, it was nice to see it out in the sunshine today, still looks pretty damn good...

34015325836_dd1903b389_b.jpg

Will try and get all the broken links in this thread fixed soon, perhaps seeing the before/after images will help motivate me :)

Edited by cRaig, 15 April 2017 - 07:09 PM.

pugdamo

pugdamo
  • Drivers+
  • 1,017 posts
  • Name:Damian
Garage View Garage
Looks so good, but it would look better with all the wheels touching the road and the sun shining. Glad you are trying to find some motivation, I'm sure you will be happy when summers here.

ALEX

ALEX
  • Drivers
  • 2,723 posts
Garage View Garage

I regret selling my Laser Gti.

Would be worth more than the £1600 I got for it 6 - 7 years ago even if I'd have left it outside in the rain.

edit:

Saying that my mate regrets scrapping 2 - Gti's and 3 Mi16 engines for £175 about 10 years ago!

I keep sending him ebay links of junk 205s just to wind him up.

Edited by ALEX, 18 April 2017 - 03:25 PM.

Reply to this topic