• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sp88

Honestly thought after all this time an ew12 expert would have surfaced. Has anyone removed balancing shafts on one and had the gear wheel cut out then balanced the crank. From experience the vibration with out the  balance shaft is very very noticeable. 

Sp88

And the oil feed to the balance shafts must be blocked to prevent the oil pressure light coming on

speaksgeek
On 5/28/2018 at 9:00 AM, speaksgeek said:

I've been talking to AT Power and Pug1Off about making a kit similar to their XU unit for the EW engines.

They're keen, but want to know how much of a market there is.

So, I talked about it, and they made it.

Dry Sump kit for all EW engines, including EW10 and EW12.

https://peugeot-tuning-parts.co.uk/~cn49882a/ew10-dry-sump-kit-206-gti-baffled-sump-ew10j4s-peugeot-rc.html

They're fitting the test unit up now, planning on availability at the end of 2018.

So far from the documents and pictures I've seen it should be pretty good unit. It also involves relocating the oil filter off the front of the block, which should make filter changes a bit easier.

Not cheap of course, but no dry sump seems to be.

I've had my car out on track a couple of times recently. I've found with 1G of braking force the stock oil pickup starves, and I get oil pressure spikes down to as low as 27psi.

Now there's a chance this is just an issue because I now have comprehensive data logging, which I didn't before. But even so, it's a worrying level.

I haven't yet taken it to the track here in Melbourne that has killed a few XU engines with it's long fast left hander (Phillip Island). I'm booked for later in November so we'll see how the baffled sump deals with that.

In any case, I'm obviously on the pre-order list for one of these dry sumps, because better safe than sorry.

998175098_ScreenShot2018-10-19at14_46_36.thumb.png.839b601937ce4480ea95f453f4ea89bb.png

Edited by speaksgeek
  • Like 1

drmo

Strangely, we don't have any problems with EW engine loosing pressure in this car. Still stock sump with custom baffle.

speaksgeek

That's cool. Are you willing to share more info on the specs of that engine? Revving it out to 8500?

The corner that is notorious for killing XU (and other brands) engines at Phillip Island is turn 11 and 12. You can see it here from 3:20. Full throttle, with two high G left turns in a row.

With my baffled sump, I don't seem to be having any cornering issues. My issue is still with braking.

I get an oil pressure warning at turn 4 and turn 10 if I brake late and hard. See 2:30 and 3:13 for those corners. It seems like it's uncovering the pickup, maybe even pushing oil up the return hose from the catch can.

It's very brief, and generally with not much throttle, although I am usually trying to blip the throttle to rev-match on the downshift, so still pretty high RPM.

drmo

This is the baffle we are using:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5WxbgjTAvq3bFhlN3RKbzR6UEU/view?usp=sharing

Using it for 3 seasons now with 0 issues. Maybe the driver is not that hard on braking and that is why we don't have issues :)

Here is another video:

The specs of the engine are:

CP pistons (13.2:1 cr)

Robson engineering rods

ported head

Piper BP320 cams for EW10J4 engine

solid lifters

PAC single valve springs

Custom ITBs

Custom exhaust manifold

260bhp@8200

260Nm torque

on Panta race fuel

8600 rpm limiter

wicked

Wow!! Paddle shifters!!!  :wub:

Sounds lovely!

The baffle also looks good;  smart design. 

Edited by wicked

drmo
15 minutes ago, wicked said:

Wow!! Paddle shifters!!!  :wub:

Sounds lovely!

The baffle also looks good;  smart design. 

Thanks! Actually it is similar to Peugeot Sport baffle, I just made bigger chamber for where the oil pick up sits. It made more sense to me, than to make it the way they did it.

dcc

What head did you use

drmo
On 11/22/2018 at 4:03 PM, dcc said:

What head did you use

GTi180 head.

camgti

Great vids.

2 hands on the wheel! Whats with the shuffling of the wheel? Awesome car, sounds mad. Great stuff. 

What box are you using? 

Cam

drmo
2 hours ago, camgti said:

Great vids.

2 hands on the wheel! Whats with the shuffling of the wheel? Awesome car, sounds mad. Great stuff. 

What box are you using? 

Cam

The driver is still learning :)

Box is a Beckert sequential with mme paddle shift

camgti

Ahh just jokes! I love the car, must be awesome to drive! Do you have a dyno sheet of the engine by chance? Im also thinking of using an ew in our 205

camgti

Awesome, thanks! 

Do you have a build thread of the car somewhere? 

petert
On 11/27/2018 at 10:02 PM, camgti said:

Ahh just jokes! I love the car, must be awesome to drive! Do you have a dyno sheet of the engine by chance? Im also thinking of using an ew in our 205

I'd do K20/K24 before I did an EW.

speaksgeek
13 hours ago, petert said:

I'd do K20/K24 before I did an EW.

I'd drive the 205 I had, before changing the engine.

camgti

Pete, cant change manufacturer and still be eligable in 3J etc. Ive driven a fee K20a etc cars and they are epic. Its just not a pug without a pug engine! 

petert
On 11/30/2018 at 11:43 AM, speaksgeek said:

I'd drive the 205 I had, before changing the engine.

touché

speaksgeek
13 hours ago, drmo said:

Unfortunately I don't. There's some on Facebook, but just a few: 

and a few from my engine building:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5WxbgjTAvq3cnpHMTM0QU05ckU?usp=sharing

That's cool, thanks for sharing.

What kind of restriction did you use for oil flow into the head, seeing as you removed VVT pulley and hydraulic lifters?

drmo

At first none with no problems, but the last revision has 3mm restrictor in the feed hole in head so that more oil stays in the sump.

Andy
On 8/18/2018 at 8:49 PM, Sp88 said:

Honestly thought after all this time an ew12 expert would have surfaced. Has anyone removed balancing shafts on one and had the gear wheel cut out then balanced the crank. From experience the vibration with out the  balance shaft is very very noticeable. 

Yes. The balance shaft drive gear just drifts off without drama. My crank was then re balanced. It was a mighty 17g out , but balanced up nicely, so I will see how I get on with it in my  Xu10 block , with very light pistons and 158mm long rods .

kazz1

Is it possible to bore EW12 J4 (3FZ) engine block? I assume it should be..? However I was completely unable to find any offers about oversized (+0.25 or +0.5mm) pistons for that engine ,

Do anybody know why they do not produce them.. or maybe where I could find them?

drmo
On 2/1/2019 at 6:16 PM, kazz1 said:

Is it possible to bore EW12 J4 (3FZ) engine block? I assume it should be..? However I was completely unable to find any offers about oversized (+0.25 or +0.5mm) pistons for that engine ,

Do anybody know why they do not produce them.. or maybe where I could find them?

There are no oversize aftermarket pistons available for this engine unfortunately. There also are no aftermarket oversize piston rings.

Custom is the only option I guess.