• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

AndyCrom

[car_overhaul] Yet Another Laser Green 1.9! Photo Heavy

AndyCrom

Well if any of you have come across my first few posts or not, then if that's the case, then you will now know that I'm an ex nova convert or will do by now, this started when I used to work for Vauxhall's before I moved onto Trim in Bentley.

In brief many many years ago I saw a Laser 1.9 for sale so that night I went for a test drive and was that happy with the 205 I said to the seller i'll be back the next day with the cash, but someone else apparently came with the money later on that eve and took it before I had the chance, several years on, several novas and an evo later I saw this car and thought, its about time to find out what I missed on.

In brief when I turned up to view it, the guy who was selling it was sat outside his house in the rain with his old man trying to get it started, determined they were gonna start it from a motorbike battery, I gave him half an hour and in the end he decided top tow it up the road to bump start it and with a snap of the tow rope and still failing to start I thought I should have walked away at that point.

Eventually it came to life and to be honest it really didn’t measure up to how I remembered, but I like a challenge I checked the engine code, underside etc etc and parted with the cash, only to get to the in-laws to not have it start again except for from a bump, then proceeded with a 80 mile drive home where it got worse and worse only to find that the oil filler was crammed with mayo (something I forgot to check)

Anyway they say a photo is a thousand words or whatever so I’ll let them do the talking!

how she looked when I got her

fbc2ee1d.jpg

5fcd1473.jpg

50c9205e.jpg

ed415e24.jpg

e9765ed1.jpg

and then I started to discover just how good the wiring is in a 205

1a3cb56f.jpg

and lots of little trim parts missing

43da5df9.jpg

and thought I was on for a winner with good rear seals...

4f365be2.jpg

it was either missing trim or the wrong colour!

cbd5bc3f.jpg

and a leaky aerial

ffc84b85.jpg

AndyCrom

yet more missing trim

82ae2769.jpg

bolsters and seats look very tired!

7119ffea.jpg

steering wheel is also on its way out

68715dd4.jpg

b9033779.jpg

0e0bcc5d.jpg

and the amazing care continues...

d1f79bcf.jpg

01fc3186.jpg

and then i discovered that the rear seals dont meet!

79a890ba.jpg

and the seat frame needed replacing as it was like a sea-saw

064d972c.jpg

and that was when I noticed that the seals were the least of my worries in that the whole carpet and underlay was soaking wet, so I spent a nice hot day and took it all out and threw out the underlay as it was never going to come back good again!

15d8f445.jpg

AndyCrom

cc0fc7bd.jpg

f17c28a8.jpg

ad1abe49.jpg

then i found a heater matrix leak

1b214064.jpg

so after cleaning it all down, removing the old underlay, rust etc etc I welded some plates and a dog in..

b0f81d06.jpg

and blasted the floor with rust killer

840d4765.jpg

a0d9d181.jpg

Im very organised as you'll come to see..

91c7d05d.jpg

so the next day i gave the carpet a full on shampoo several times before storing it away for a later date

d9820e19.jpg

16bfc4d7.jpg

Edited by AndyCrom
  • Like 1

AndyCrom

so then I made a start with the wiring

a4416999.jpg

and kept constantly coming across the tape joint warrior

775616cb.jpg

then the dash came out to fix the annoying rattle and sanded down each side of the cracks on the mounts

450c8d2a.jpg

and then liberally added araldite and strips of abs plastic

a0f75e95.jpg

a new tilt switch and wiper motor from a 306

20812527.jpg

and a new relay and wiring loom also from a 306

5245ca43.jpg

and then I discovered this in the rear wash tank

7010b094.jpg

Titanic would have been proud

4447c23d.jpg

Ive also decided to re-trim the seats steering wheel etc with black leather and this cloth for the centre panels

27f94adc.jpg

and then fitted this with the same cloth, the stick was used as the strut died on me at the same time

af3cff18.jpg

Edited by AndyCrom

AndyCrom

using some numberplate tape that was warmed in the oven, I refixed the side badges also using a heat gun on low to ensure they stuck well

3892a118.jpg

i then proceeded by wirebrushing the entire floor ready for paint

164badbc.jpg

and then a nice liberal coating of primer

26647b95.jpg

then some new sound dampening matting

f7694582.jpg

and cut a groove for the amp wire to keep the carpet flat

2ef76bdd.jpg

nice and thick

12b57f8a.jpg

and then the interior went back in

2a841c15.jpg

Thanks to BT, I'll add the engine bay on later as my internet is very temperamental today!

Anthony

Where did you get the sound deadening from out of interest? That looks quite good compared to other generic stuff that I've seen.

Looks like you're making good progress in making good the ineviable bodges, neglect and problems that you tend to find on these cars, and I'm sure many of the issues you've found will be all too familiar to people on here.

I did have to laugh at the wheel brace being stored in the rear washer bottle - a real "WTF?!" moment I'm sure :lol:

• Like 2

AndyCrom

so my next stage was for the headgasket replacement, and thanks to this amazing british summer were having, i dumped it in a barn and made a start

4624cb97.jpg

deec4309.jpg

43ec9bcb.jpg

482183e5.jpg

40d86845.jpg

c11b215e.jpg

so then my parts came back from the powdercoaters

0ef2a03a.jpg

a2ab59c6.jpg

4ae36053.jpg

Spot the difference - dont you just love how gentle royal fail are with parcels!

b5443aeb.jpg

AndyCrom

Where did you get the sound deadening from out of interest?

erm, its the same stuff they use in the aerospace industry to stop vibration and foreign objects puncturing fuel tanks etc, I also found out that the manufacturer for this also sells the same stuff for use in train flooring and even in horseboxes!

I did have to laugh at the wheel brace being stored in the rear washer bottle - a real "WTF?!" moment I'm sure :lol:

I sure thought the same, I bet the guy who put it in there forgot where he'd put it a day later, and altho cillit bang has been my friend with this car, there was not a chance in hell it has gonna clean that brace up to factory fresh lol!

AndyCrom

after a good clean down and a polish of the mating surfaces with an engineers block, the gasket was back on

d6b4c2d6.jpg

a628b048.jpg

0619592b.jpg

0b308d4d.jpg

2ebe2ca4.jpg

and then went to re-wire the loom of doom on the brown multiplug and low behold there was no pin on the oil temp sender!

f8cbb0c7.jpg

so as I couldn't source a new one from anywhere I flattened off the terminal, drilled a 2mm hole in the brass tip centre and tapped and threaded a bolt in with an eyelet loop connector which works a charm

664d3e68.jpg

that nervy moment when the key is turned.... and it lives!

43f08790.jpg

• Like 1

AndyCrom

next is to source a load of new hoses etc and maybe an original intake system just to finish off the block then whip the whole lot out and respray the engine bay, over the winter, plans are to set about the re-trim work during the Christmas shut-down from work

Edited by AndyCrom

AndyCrom

e1ae0ad6.jpg

59a82d01.jpg

96ad7d86.jpg

ee61a098.jpg

Baz

Good work! Seems like you've unfortunately started with a largely bogged example, which I'm sure is very annoying, but you'll get there!

I have some new oil temp sensors btw!!

AndyCrom

Good work! Seems like you've unfortunately started with a largely bogged example, which I'm sure is very annoying, but you'll get there!

I have some new oil temp sensors btw!!

cheers, it does seem like it will be worth it in the end as when I got her on the road after changing the head gasket it probably gained 100bhp again lol, but even the missus agrees its fun to drive, possibly moreso than my old evo, which for a woman is an outragous statement to make lmao

oh and Oil temp senders with the M16 threads? pm us a price posted please, may have to source that the same time as this new dizzy i need!

Edited by AndyCrom

Tesstuff

Good work! Seems like you've unfortunately started with a largely bogged example.

Damn them bogged cars, usually retrieved from the bottom of bogs I hear. :D

But it does look like a bodged example for sure.

I have an as new steering wheel spare if you are in need :)

• Like 1

AndyCrom

But it does look like a bodged example for sure.

I have an as new steering wheel spare if you are in need :)

lol, *wish i was paying attention* thanks for the offer but I'll be using said skills from my time at Bentley and be re-trimming the wheel along with the interior later on this year and may even colour code the stitching on the wheel and cross-stitch the seats, just subtle changes tho as I dont want to annoy the "as is" fraternity too much yet as Im still a newbie!

Edited by AndyCrom

AndyCrom

this is the re-stitch I did on my last car's steering wheel same to that I have in mind for the 205, but not in orange of course because thats stupid lol

0156.jpg

cybernck

Good work and funny commentary :D.

• Like 1

BlueBolt

Lots and lots of progress!! God I wish I had the time and skills to be making progress like that!! Impressive work!!!

Like the engine bay colour choice!! :)

Baz

Obviously i meant 'bodged'! Silly auto-correct!

Baz

oh and Oil temp senders with the M16 threads? pm us a price posted please, may have to source that the same time as this new dizzy i need!

No worries, yep, i'll reply to your PM!. :)

AndyCrom

Lots and lots of progress!! God I wish I had the time and skills to be making progress like that!! Impressive work!!!

Like the engine bay colour choice!! :)

to be honest I don't really have the spare time... or so the wife would say, at the end of the day she said the vows and shes stuck with me!

I, the Wife to be,

take you my daft 80's/90's loving guy,

to be my husband,

to have and to hold just my own car keys from this day forward,

for concourse condition or for failed MOT,

for new parts, for scrap yard seconds,

in breakdown and in health,

to love and to autoglym;

from this day forward until scrap do us part.

Forever and ever, Amen

• Like 4

AndyCrom

A slight update as I felt like Ive not posted anything recently but alas the joys of 205 ownership have been keeping me busy.

So anyway my dizzy decided to start leaking oil internally via the labyrinth seal, so I got this through the post, but alas the springs for the bob weights inside were goosed and in several bits...

e3c10dfa.jpg

80d8a6c8.jpg

so whilst waiting for a replacement dizzy, mr postman delivered me some goodies

22cd043f.jpg

along with this.. :)

be5118f7.jpg

264c77f8.jpg

shiny new!

0ed0e1c7.jpg

that'll keep me busy for a while lol

So it was out with the grey and in with the black

beafb681.jpg

51d04754.jpg

looks much better and note the LED has gone by the hazzard switch, I hate having LED's showing everywhere that I can see whilst driving, looks better au-natural IMO

45ec4e16.jpg

and out went this panel full of holes to...

9a3868f7.jpg

much better!

• Like 1

AndyCrom

then I noticed a small oil leak which proved tricky to locate on the back side of the dizzy mount

51af337f.jpg

so after sorting that out I set about changing the wishbone bushes, ive noticed that there is a few methods ppl use to swap them out, but I thought about trying something I once saw on the discovery channel..

so anyway I clamped it up as per...

b6613bd5.jpg

got my heat gun out and set it to max...

58345923.jpg

...and started burning out the old bushes

60ce3ebd.jpg

once the inner insert was hot enough it just slit right out using a flat blade

89cc9852.jpg

once the insert was out I set about removing the rest of the rubber..

dcef700d.jpg

59b91ece.jpg

f8de8b1a.jpg

Edited by AndyCrom
  • Like 1

AndyCrom

once all the rubber was out this is where I decided to be a smart a**e and applied my TV learnings, I then took it inside out of the wind and clamped it back up again and poured some of this on the inner lip of each mount ...

10179150.jpg

2a8485ed.jpg

set fire to the fuel wait a moment and hey presto! the outer collar just pushes out as the heat causes the metal to contract away from the flame and reduces the ring size fractionally!

86037073.jpg

86037073.jpg

voila!, both removed without cutting them out!

f4d8fab8.jpg

clean!

e02fae63.jpg

New bushes pressed in, all in all it took me just under 20 mins to remove and replace all 4 bushes on both wishbones!

0e391742.jpg

I have also changed over the speedo cable, fitted the new dizzy etc etc, I just left the CV boots for another day when its not so cold!

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

Hate to say it but I have removed and binned 3 sets of those orange bushes from various 205's to replace them with OE Peugeot bushes, sadly they are anything but an upgrade, Peugeot got it spot on with the standard bushes and it is hard to better them.

• Like 2