• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cybernck

[Car_Restoration] 205 Gti Fore16Ver

DamirGTI

Understood B)

D

cybernck

Episode 5: The king... beheaded

After a failure with a GTI-6 engine idea, I continued the actual work on the car, by removing its

(non-)original engine. I've had a good idea of what I was doing (hint: a light bulb above my head) :-).

205gtifore16ver_026.thumb.jpg

After some struggle with clumsy French engineering, the engine was beheaded. It turned out that

having had a swap for a DFZ 1.9 102 bhp engine in the past was a fortunate circumstance in this case,

as a friend was after such a head for an interesting project.

205gtifore16ver_028.thumb.jpg

The next task was removing the engine internals (pistons with rods and then the crankshaft as well).

The pistons and rods have been sent away together with the head, while the crankshaft is hopefully

going to save a dead 205 GTI 1.9, sooner or later.

205gtifore16ver_029.thumb.jpg

The last job for the day was to remove the front wings (easy, as they had been replaced in the past

and not resealed afterwards) and bumper (hard because all the bolts had been rusted up solid).

Removing the front wings has enabled me to get a clear view of a rotten inner wing, due to a known

incident from the past.

205gtifore16ver_032.thumb.jpg

Full size photos: http://photos.cybernck.com/205gtifore16ver?page=2

JoeVTS

my xu10j4rs cost me £100. I have no idea if it still works though.

or as damir says, the 1.8 has the lighter alloy block and bigger valves but smaller ports, so a 1.8 with RS manifolds, matched ports, cams and management ought to go like stink.

cybernck

I've scrapped the idea of using GTI-6 engine (and many other modern add-ons) and decided to keep it simple and stick to an Mi16 engine instead :).

welshpug

What a strange comment :lol: just as much work using an mi16 as a gti6!

cybernck

Not when you've got a complete super low mileage Mi16 engine at your disposal, compared to a damaged GTI-6 engine

with molested loom and possibly locked ECU and most importantly no spares of any kind within a thousand km range :rolleyes:.

cybernck

Episode 6: Winter sleep

With the weather turning for worse, the last thing I set out to do in 2012 was removing

the engine block and gearbox to have the engine bay ready for better inspection.

205gtifore16ver_033.thumb.jpg205gtifore16ver_034.thumb.jpg

With the only help being provided by two small hydraulic jacks, fighting the lack of space,

adverse weather conditions and unpleasant neighbors, I manage to successfully pull it all out.

This is the point where the front crumpling zone ends (and how far back will the chassis have to be

cut off and replaced), with the rest of the impact having been absorbed by the roof and the floor.

205gtifore16ver_035.thumb.jpg205gtifore16ver_036.thumb.jpg

Everything packed up tightly and ready for winter sleep.

Full size photos: http://photos.cybernck.com/205gtifore16ver?page=3

Jolly Green Monster

Nice project. Good luck.

Look forward to future episodes

DamirGTI

fighting the lack of space, adverse weather conditions and unpleasant neighbors

Same here :blush: , though i also sleep/live in my garage now ! made myself an small room which is connected with the garage directly , previously it was an additional garage working room (had my big working table , tools and spare parts lot inside before) .

Kinda used to the lack of space now after all this years , and the crappy metal garage doors which makes it a bit freezing inside during the winter time especially while it's windy outside (bad door insulation) ...

However - neighbors :ph34r: , i simply can't and never will used to that lot of grumbling evil old farts ... the older they are the more they're unbearable .. and i really do care about loudness in such way so that i do not torture any of them people living around my house with the noise levels , even tried to be diplomatic and sort out the issues by talking to them - no use , it doesn't make any difference at all i might as well start up and left one of my three 205's running without exhaust all day/night outside it'll still be the same (dunno why i even bother being quiet and cautious tbh !)

Also have bent chassis leg on my sorrento , the last project 205 which i bought (was really barging price) .. need to strip it down inspect and tackle with the bodywork stuff , more about that when i sort out funds for starting the project .

Don't let the bodywork issues scare you off Nick , you're brave and big fellow !

(i always had an soft spot for miami blue 205's :wub: looking forward to seeing it's rebirth)

D

Edited by DamirGTI
  • Like 1

cybernck

Episode 7: Awakening

Most of the 2013 went by without having anything done on the car, purely because I couldn't find

anyone to take on the work of fixing the chassis and rust patches. However, near the end of the year,

it was time to continue the restoration work.

205gtifore16ver_037.thumb.jpg205gtifore16ver_039.thumb.jpg

All the rear bumper bolts were rusted up solid, as expected.

205gtifore16ver_040.thumb.jpg205gtifore16ver_041.thumb.jpg

Stripping off the remaining bits in the engine compartment and also the interior.

Only God knows how will I put it all back together!

205gtifore16ver_042.thumb.jpg205gtifore16ver_043.thumb.jpg

To be continued...

jackherer

Only God knows how will I put it all back together!

Is that a reference to your sig?

"205 haynes manual is my god" :lol:

• Like 1

cybernck

Episode 8: One Horse Power

During my hunt for parts, I managed to find just what I need - NOS replacement headlight panels!

I've also finally managed to acquire an "auto bonnet" - i.e. a bonnet off of a 205 Automatic.

It's not in the best shape, but it's crucial for my vision of this car :-).

205gtifore16ver_044.thumb.jpg205gtifore16ver_045.thumb.jpg

Anyway, the second day of dismantling was mostly easy work. The front wings are reusable, but I'm

on a look-out for a pair of new ones - which are proving very difficult to get hold of now-days.

205gtifore16ver_046.thumb.jpg205gtifore16ver_047.thumb.jpg

The front part of the floor pan would have been perfect, if it wasn't for a crack from the known crash,

while the culprit for the damage in the rear part were the holes in the tailgate and LPG installation.

There's just a small usual rusty patch under the rear seats.

205gtifore16ver_049.thumb.jpg205gtifore16ver_050.thumb.jpg

Awaiting pickup, to be transferred to the bodyshop.

205gtifore16ver_051.thumb.jpg205gtifore16ver_055.thumb.jpg

cybernck

Episode 9: Cut

The car arrived at the body shop and it was time to finally start going in the direction of having a rust-free 205 shell.

205gtifore16ver_057.thumb.jpg

The chassis had been pulled back to OEM specification, doors put back on using larger pins and body panel gaps set.

Then the crash-damaged rotten corner section was cut off.

205gtifore16ver_058.thumb.jpg

Out with the cancer!

205gtifore16ver_059.thumb.jpg

Next up, the replacement part I had sourced earlier had to be trimmed and a good inner wing panel fitted back on the car,

along with the brand new headlamp panels.

205gtifore16ver_060.thumb.jpg

To be continued...

Full size photos: http://photos.cybernck.com/205gtifore16ver?page=4

cybernck

Episode 10: Paste

Ta-daa! Inner wheel arch welded on, as well as the new headlamp panels. Looks infinitely better

than the old mix of filler and rotten metal! Pretty seamless transition of the car's chassis and

the new part - it will look as new when it sees some paint.

205gtifore16ver_062.thumb.jpg205gtifore16ver_063.thumb.jpg

The other side has seen some grinder action too. Another culprit and often overlooked area is

the bottom of the A-post.

205gtifore16ver_065.thumb.jpg205gtifore16ver_066.thumb.jpg

The fuel tank has been dropped and the floor cleaned up with the boot floor section left to sort out.

205gtifore16ver_067.thumb.jpg205gtifore16ver_068.thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, I decided to take a look at my very low mileage XU9J4Z 405 Mi16 engine I bought back in 2007,

that has been removed out of an 405 Mi16x4, crashed 10 years earlier, in 1997, with only 35 thousand

kilometers on the clock!

205gtifore16ver_069.thumb.jpg205gtifore16ver_070.thumb.jpg

To be continued...

Full size photos: http://photos.cybernck.com/205gtifore16ver?page=4

cybernck

Episode 11: Solid foundation

Back at the panel beater's, the car has had most of the major body work done. Facial reconstruction

surgery complete. The red arrows are there to sway your attention towards removable lower section,

for ease of maneuvering the engine in at a later date.

205gtifore16ver_071.thumb.jpg205gtifore16ver_072.thumb.jpg

The Automatic bonnet has seen better days, but I'm very happy to see it on the car none-the-less!

Some crude work has been done on the exterior too. The doors are rather rippled, but it will all be

sorted out, when the time comes. The hole in the floor patched, along with a few more in the front arches.

205gtifore16ver_074.thumb.jpg205gtifore16ver_076.thumb.jpg

The car stayed at the bodyshop for some finishing touches while I was on a tour around Bosnia,

filling the car up with various 205 parts, including another (and hopefully better) Auto bonnet!

205gtifore16ver_077.thumb.jpg

Also, I dug these wheels out, that I had purchased a while ago, with an intention of making

a transportation device for a bare 205 shell, heavy parts such as engines and apparently

cyclists too :-).

205gtifore16ver_078.thumb.jpg205gtifore16ver_079.thumb.jpg

On the last day of 2013, I got the car back, fully rust-free and ready to go to the painters.

I've even had to rent out yet another garage, as the old one got filled with all sorts of parts

in the mean time!

205gtifore16ver_080.thumb.jpg

Full size photos: http://photos.cybernck.com/205gtifore16ver?page=5

cybernck

Episode 12: 205. Un sacré numéro.

After a "Winter sleep", in May of 2014 I finally managed to find a bodyshop that has agreed

to do a bare-shell respray of the 205, so it was time to get it out of the garage and do

some more parts stripping and then finally make a move forwards, in every sense :).

205gtifore16ver_081.thumb.jpg205gtifore16ver_082.thumb.jpg

Only being satisfied with the best results, I decided (and managed) to get new replacement

front wings. Pattern parts, but the ones on the car were also not OE parts plus they have

been a bit rusty as well.

205gtifore16ver_083.thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, in one of my other hobbies (cycling, if you are not already aware of it),

I randomly got my favourite number for a starting number in an international race :D.

205gtifore16ver_084.thumb.jpg

Full size photos: http://photos.cybernck.com/205gtifore16ver?page=6

cybernck

Episode 13: Let there be paint!

Meanwhile, at the paintshop - the car finally sees some fresh Miami Blue paint! Yay!

205gtifore16ver_085.thumb.jpg205gtifore16ver_086.thumb.jpg205gtifore16ver_087.thumb.jpg

The whole floorpan has been coated in stonechip and then resprayed in body colour.

Although I'm not really going to go off road with the car, it's nice to have some,

err, protection ;).

Also, not being satisfied with the two Automatic bonnets I've had previously acquired,

a friend has found me the best one yet! Sweet!

205gtifore16ver_088.thumb.jpg

And here's the 4th engine presented in this story so far - rare and iconic XU10J4TE

a.k.a. 220 bhp 405 T16 engine. Although it would have been amazing to have this beast

fitted under the bonnet, it was missing a few things and would have made my project

even longer and more complicated, therefore I decided to let someone else enjoy it! :(

205gtifore16ver_089.thumb.jpg205gtifore16ver_090.thumb.jpg

Full size photos: http://photos.cybernck.com/205gtifore16ver?page=6

• Like 2