• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
shooter mcgavin

[Car_Restoration] Miami 2.0 8V Turbo

bluesleeper

Looking great shooter! I noticed the dreaded trolley jack dent on your underside too? Mine used to be perfect till I let some monkey at the local s*it fit change my tires and now it's dented the same as yours.

After seeing this mine is going on the spit roast too!

Keep going with the updates too!

Gareth.

shooter mcgavin

Well spotted. It's dented on both sides.

I was supposed to tap the aides in and stick some filler on them but I got carried away doing the stone chip ect.

I'm painting the engine bay this week so I will be definaty taking care of the dents. When I told my mate I want to fix them he said I've went a step too far :-0

The spit is geat and was so easy to make, without it I would have never took things this far.

johniban

lookls bloody good to me making fast progress with using a spit

shooter mcgavin

The spit is the way to go if your doing the floor, it's still a dirty job but at least you can have a set while you work.

Painting the engine bay in the morning then I can start running the copper pipes ect and get the petrol tank back in.

Subframe is just about rebuilt, just need to see about getting the power steering hoses made up.

shooter mcgavin

Well past few week have been many hours on the wire wheel cleaning up all the small parts, removing years of crud and botched repainting efforts by the previous owners.

Engine bay is all painted. Just need to finish painting the rack then the subframe is complete.(still need 2x arb mounting bolts if any one can help me out)

Left the heat shields soaking in some acid over the weekend, they cleaned up great, the years of oil where baked on I think.

Been collecting some nice new parts too ;-)

Shafts, bearings and seals came today from Poland, bargain at £115 delivered even tho I already bought l the seals and bearings ect from the dealer.

Need to make up a puller to remove the inside bearings from the beam this week and get the new shafts pressed into the arms. This is the 1st beam I've pulled apart so hope all goes well.

If I get time next week I'll get the pipe work and servo back in followed by the fuel tank then she can come off the spit.

pip470

You could use the a long pole from the opposite end of the inner bearing and tap them out. Its very easy. All those shiney parts look great.

shooter mcgavin

Had a go at knocking the inner bearings out with a steel pole, never budged at all.

I'll have a go a making up a puller of sorts and see who that goes

shooter mcgavin
7A4C42E3-5908-4277-80B2-98891567D94A-462
  • Like 1

shooter mcgavin

Still need 2 arb mounting bolts if anyone can help me out, dealer want me to buy 10

allye

Jesus! You tart :P looks great

shooter mcgavin

I've set aside a few days over the next few weeks to get it off the spit. Got the Metal fuel lines done on Friday, total bitch to shape.

Steering rack is getting painted next Sunday and should get the brake pipes done then too.

shooter mcgavin

Well I got 2 days free and got stuck in over the weekend, got the beam painted and rebuilt with new shafts. Seals and bearings.

Took the car off the spit and cut out the rot on the boot floor. Plated, stonechiped, and painted. Even managaged to ridge the plate to match the boot floor. Still need to clean up the welds on top and smooth them.

Front suspension built and refitted, still a few small got to do and fit the brakes but decided to get the calipers powder coated as the paint still looked crap.

Forgot to fit the flexi bracket to the rear shock bolts but it looks like the flexes are too short :-( I bought a 306 set from ebay, I thought they would have been the same length as the 205 ones :-(

98959314-6C04-4667-B833-CB7BED523A4A-323

0C4D47C3-499E-4593-B437-BCFD1EB392F6-323

ED32DD45-7EB0-43E7-8DB6-A1BC78103F72-323

54575AAB-71D8-4F92-BC3F-3F130D0C63D2-323

2C236463-9C35-4C82-943F-A5ABA059A0E0-323

D2CF9A73-8234-4809-93E7-B0BA2ECAE7D5-323

998032C8-3672-47B7-9FD1-28EE2AE28B09-323

3474EA4F-437D-40C1-9353-FB87E1028FF1-323

C56F91AB-D519-4C65-9610-708EA40C80AA-323

0A2D4903-3AB1-43A5-BFD4-06DC000551CF-323

36848021-257C-4953-AC03-B3D3F4183457-323

90EB1A5D-2D6B-4B1D-8814-721C394CB014-323

• Like 1

pip470

Its not even funny how much i like this car!!

Tom Fenton

Looking nice. Did you get your anti roll bar clamp bolts? They are nothing special just M10 x 30 long. I have got some if you are still stuck.

shooter mcgavin

Thanks Tom, yeah I realised they were standard size and thread when it came to fitting it. I used a dremel to shave a few mm off the inside of the powerflex bush so the arb moves freeley.

That was my 1st full rebuild on a beam. Went well but I'm a little worried now its on the car.

With the tail gate opened pushing down on the rear panel with one hand the rear of the car moves a lot with only a little pressure.?

I set the dummy shock to 310mm but the rear of the car is way higher than standard. No interior, bumper spare wheel ect fitted yet but it's still super high? It's a 309 beam

Anthony

310mm is a bit high with a 309 beam (assuming it's GTi spec with 20mm torsion bars of course) and will give near standard ride height.

Somewhere 300-305mm is better, depending on how low the front is. 300mm tends to match typical 40mm lowering springs.

shooter mcgavin

300 sounds better. I asked the question last week and a few said 310.

Not a big deal to sort just worried about how soft it feels now

shooter mcgavin

So now that I've finished with the spit I decided I would recycle the steel and build this..........

null_zps59cc1b99.jpg

null_zpsdacc0282.jpg

Took a few hours and only needed a few extra bits to build

• Like 1

mowflow

Great build. I'm in the process of just starting the underside only i'm doing it with the car practically lying on top of my chest in a tiny garage. Still, at least that spit got put to good use when finished with.

shooter mcgavin

It's been a while but winter is fast approaching so it's just about time to spend some long nights on this project.

Over the past few months I've had a bit of a change in direction and sold the turbo engine to another forum member.

I want drivability and a little more omffff than the standard 1.6 so have manage to pick up a cheap 1.9 shell that came with an mi16 engine in need of some work.(head gasket) apparently. Also needs a set of cams as they were nicked ?

I'm planing a full engine rebuild, well ring, shells, oil pump and send the head away for testing and port and polish.

Have just ordered the last of the parts need to finish the brakes. 2 front pistons and yet another set of flexi pipes.

Most of the dings have been repaired on the body work but will be waiting till after winter to respray it since it been stored in a container I dont want to paint it and leave it sitting all winter damp ect. Still need a drivers side wing and pas lower column if anyone can help?

shooter mcgavin
48B3BE1C-5A55-4399-8986-90B04E4869DF-229

shooter mcgavin

After spending what felt like hours cleaning the the calipers with a wire wheel on the grinder I painted them with hi temp silver. After a few days of just siting around in the unit I could see rust coming through the paint. They weren't as good a finish as I hoped for so decided to send them

Off for shot blasting and powder coating.

Yes they are red, I know I know but will look great on the Miami with the red trim lines.

B32D6768-79E0-4E5B-AF9A-3BD521EE6333-462

9FB430BB-5B8B-48D6-AAE6-8F5C7F482022-462

ABE2FF19-D8A6-4546-AA94-F36321A19EF5-229

shooter mcgavin

Here's the mi16 I picked up. Buying this car had nothing to do with this project so the engine (if ok) is a bonus. I picked it up for a new Xbox controller :-)

DE95C0C9-3441-4AA3-9B39-FB3229FDA9F2-229

280E2109-0577-43CD-A7F6-84F13CF52EA7-229

15DEDD75-3841-4016-972B-DB3A138E5ED1-229

• Like 3