• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Kane

[Car_Overhaul] One Thing Leads To Another..

Anthony

Unless the head has been skimmed well beyond spec I'd be amazed if you've any clearance issues with standard cams - I did an Mi for someone a few years back that had been skimmed so heavily that it was into the valve seats, and even that was fine clearance wise running a Catcam 526 which has a fair bit more lift than standard from memory.

The issue on Mi's comes with doing the cambelt wrong usually.

petert

I agree. The standard gross clearance will be something like 0.205" on the inlet (I've always found that number easy to remember). Subtract 0.032" and you will still have a whopping 0.173" of clearance.

Kane

I have to admit when installing the cambelt before I timed it up with the locating dowels then turned it over by hand a few times but only recently found out that you should locate all the timing pins again to ensure that the belt tension was correct. I'm guessing this is more than likely the cause for my current situation.

Again a slight lack of attention on my part, I'll certainly not make this mistake again.