• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gman

[Car_Upgrade] 205 Gti6 To Who Knows

Gman

I've had the little pug for around four years now, but thought I might as well start a build thread on my journey so far.

I think it was August 2008 that I decided I need a little project to work on over the winter. I've always loved 205 having had three in the past (1x Miami 1.6, 1 x Sorrento 1.9, 1 x graphite 1.9), and thought I'd go on the bay to see what was about.

As luck would have it, this was for sale in the neighbouring village just 5 mins drive away.

IMG_0146_zps8a0a1149.jpg

IMG_0151_zpsc663111e.jpg

It hadn't been driven for 3 years and the front tyres were flat, but I went for a look and the body work was practically perfect with every panel straight as you like. I didn't car that the engine was an unknown quantity as my plan was to fit a 16v in it. The car was mine for the princely sum of £750 including 5 spare speedlines!

I quickly whipped the engine out, but then quickly bought a wreck of a house. So there it sat for 12 months whilst we completed the reservations. This is what 12 months in a dusty barn does to a car:

IMG_0086_zpsfd49d2a7.jpg#

IMG_0088_zps45be75d2.jpg

With more free time, I decided to get cracking clearing up some surface rust in the engine bay. Customary 'sat in engine bay shot':

IMG_0096_zps1ffd1746.jpg

All rusted areas where treated with Bilthamber Deoxgel, then a coat of their Hydrate 80 and then paint:

IMG_0099_zps01592e00.jpg

IMG_0100_zps2a8e19ac.jpg

IMG_0102_zpsb4172233.jpg

IMG_0105_zps66b54c86.jpg

It felt nice to finally be putting things back together rather than taking them off!

IMG_0106_zpsce574939.jpg

The heart, courtesy of Roland Rat.

IMG_0127_zps50417aff.jpg

I wasn't comfortable doing the conversion myself, so off it went to Pug Racing (miles) for fitment along with new clutch for the VTS box and new cambelt

IMG_0130_zps5066e904.jpg

All fitted

IMG_0137_zps32b70cca.jpg

'6' brakes fitted along with braided hoses and larger master cylinder

IMG_0138_zps91bd4399.jpg

Paul_13

Didn't know you'd had it that long!

will1991

Very nice. Did you spray the bay yourself or have somebody else do it?

Gman

Very nice. Did you spray the bay yourself or have somebody else do it?

Sprayed it myself Will.

Gman

OK, now that the engine was fitted correctly using all the right parts i.e. group N mounts, reangled manifold, spiky loom and baker hoses etc (well some of the main ones at least; it was time to concentrate on the handling as it was past its best. The steering was also wooly until 9-3 o'clock, where it then became heavier.

First, on went Bilstein Group N Challenge spec shocks, eibach springs, new SKN top bearings and group n rubbers. At the same time 309 front arms with new pug bushes and shafts were fitted, but due to the shafts bunching up on cornering, standard 205 shafts were fitted which cured the problem.

107_zpsb4d74352.jpg

I also bought some challenge spec tarmac rear shocks to complement the fronts, but upon arrival it was clear there was something not right! Notice the crack?

110_zps80f7472e.jpg

108_zps497386e2.jpg

Anyway, a quick call to Peter Lloyd rallying and a replacement shock was dispatched without any quibble.

My rear beam was squeaking and had a dodgy looking camber, so off it came for inspection

134_zps47cb2e3d.jpg

Knackered, as suspected.

A good used beam tube was sourced and all the ancillary parts freshened up with a coat of paint. I also purchased some nice 21mm torsion bars (properly shortened and resplined, not welded together) and a 24mm ARB. This is how it looked before collection from Anthony:

142_zps8f609e86.jpg

And this is how it looked once Anthony had worked his magic

151_zpsc2bf8989.jpg

I couldn't put such a shiny bit of kit on to this:

130_zpsd3f2444f.jpg

So out came the wire drill to remove the rust, but I also coated it with Deox gel to ensure as much rust was removed as possible. As a belt and braces approach, I also coated the previously rusty areas with Hydrate 80 before painting with Hammerite, as I considered that whilst it may not give a perfect finish, it would be durable.

149_zps5f47577a.jpg

150_zps0a8475ce.jpg

And all put together

153_zps132b2319.jpg

I would like clean up under the fuel tank as there is no doubt some rust lurking under there, but that is for another time.

The car now handled quite well, but it was still let down with the steering. There was virtually no feel for the first quarter turn, which meant that it was quite difficult to place the car. I initially thought it may be due to general knackered suspension components, but these were all replaced and the s*itty feeling was still there. The only thing left to replace was the steering rack!

So, after much hunting, I managed to pick up a phase 2 VTS rack and the associated power steering pipes. This was fitted, as ever by my trusty Paul_13, and what can I say! Wow, immediately the car was a completely different animal and a pleasure to drive, particularly with a quicker rack which is what the car really needed.

Up until this point I was tempted to flog it just didn't handle as well as I thought it would. Coming from a Clio 182 trophy, I thought that maybe I was dreaming if I thought the 205 could be better than that. But now it really is fantastic and I can't see myself ever wanting to sell!

Happy days!

Gman

Here is how it looked once lowered with the new suspension:

null_zpsea327d90.jpg

null_zps4168d603.jpg

I don't think I would want it any lower, or higher. Just perfect!

Edited by Gman
  • Like 2

markb1234

great work!! where did you get the 21mm rear torsion bars ?

Gman

great work!! where did you get the 21mm rear torsion bars ?

Thanks..still more to come when I get round to it.

I got the torsion bars from Anthony on here.

Anthony

The torsion bars are freshly made, not ones that are shortened and re-splined (I think you're thinking of anti-roll bars as that's what can be done with GTi-6 etc).

'Tis a really nice car from what I've seen and driven of it, other than that woeful steering rack it had fitted at the time.

Should be damned good if/when the forthcoming plans are implemented!

Maso

Great. It looks smashing. Perfectly lowered I think as well.

GeorgeXS

Looks fantastic! Though IMO a fresh lion badge on the grill and new surrounds on the driving lights would finish it off beautifully.

johniban

wow looks awesome i love it!

MiniGibbo

Great story and a good clean looking car..!!

Gti's just look so good in black

Gman

Agreed on the lamp surrounds! The badge is actually quite shiny, but just doesn't look it on the photo.