• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mechanicalrepairs

[car_upgrade] Project Miami Blue 205 Gti6

jord294

very impressive carl :blink:

mechanicalrepairs

Well the day is getting close to the car being finished, had a really good session with it today and managed to get the engine in (yay)

Lining it up to fit, it does look like it wont fit-

205conversion003-5.jpg

A bit closer, to me to you-

205conversion005-5.jpg

Lining it up to the engine and gearbox mount, had a little mishap with this when i decided to put the gearbox stud in the wrong hole in the gear box, it made the clutch arm hit the bottom of the battery tray, felt a bit of a tit when i realised what i had done.

A bit further in, as you can see it is sitting happily on the mounts, just hope it clears in all the necessary places-

205conversion007-1.jpg

205conversion008-1.jpg

Well as you can see the lump is in and guess what i am chuffed to bits as all the places people struggle with i seem to have been lucky, its close to the master cylinder but the exhaust and the front panel are fine (dont worry the master cylinder is going to be replaced, and sohas the fuel filter now:lol)-

205conversion009-2.jpg

205conversion011-2.jpg

Well up up up, car goes up on the ramp and i fit the subframe, i had to say finding all the bolts was a mission, i had forgot which ones were which, just got to fit my shiney new sump, yes i know but you could'nt leave it looking like it is now:lol-

205conversion013-1.jpg

Well thats about as far as i can go now, just fitted all the subframe and ancillaries, bolted all the driveshafts back in and put the wheels back on, it was great to see the car standing on its own feet again-

205conversion016-1.jpg

Its a shane the inlet manifold is covered up by the front panel but ho hum, all thats left to do now is get it all wired up and connect the coolant hoses, managed to put all the fuel lines on and have just fitted the bonnet too. From the bay looking like this-

205conversion017.jpg

To this-

205conversion018.jpg

Peetypug

looking very very good

how have you tensioned your alternator?

mechanicalrepairs
looking very very good

how have you tensioned your alternator?

I havent fitted the belt yet but i am going to just use a smaller belt around the crank then the tensioner originally fitted to the sump then the belt will go around the alternator, hopefullt that will work out ok.

Just a few questions for those who have already done this conversion.

How have you mounted the radiator etc, i have fitted mine and it goes in but is very close to the front panel, is this ok or is there a mod to do?

The coolant hoses etc how have you mounted these and is there a route you all tend to use?

The engine is in and it clears the master cylinder but is there a shorter engine mount i could use to lower the engine that little bit more?

I think thats all i need to know. Thanks

Carl C.G Cars Leicester

Peetypug

if you look in my sig you will see a crude drawing of how i've done mine

its as close to standard as i can make it, other people have T'd the pipe from the header tank to the block at the back of the engine and the thermostat housing

here

let me know how the tensioner goes as i'll give that a try if it works

Edited by sorrentopete

Spiky

my rad is mounted as std,

i'm using a clio 1.8 16v oil filter, no issues then :D

looks a really nice conversion :)

jackherer

I was thinking you've been very lucky with the exhaust clearance then I saw that you hadn't fitted the subframe at that point let alone the bottom engine mount. Get that fitted and get back to us about your exhaust clearance :D

edit: or maybe you have fitted it, I don't think all the pictures had loaded when I posted. If so thats very unusual.

Edited by jackherer

mechanicalrepairs
I was thinking you've been very lucky with the exhaust clearance then I saw that you hadn't fitted the subframe at that point let alone the bottom engine mount. Get that fitted and get back to us about your exhaust clearance :D

edit: or maybe you have fitted it, I don't think all the pictures had loaded when I posted. If so thats very unusual.

The subframe and rear mount is fitted, the manifold has been cut and re angled. Its just a case now of seeing if it touches when accelarating etc.

Carl C.G.Cars

jackherer
the manifold has been cut and re angled.

Ahh, that makes sense then. its just you said:

i am chuffed to bits as all the places people struggle with i seem to have been lucky

...and then posted a picture of the manifold in the tunnel which made me think you were saying it just fitted.

Its just a case now of seeing if it touches when accelarating etc.

If the engine mounts are uprated that clearance will be fine IMO.

Spiky

it's not acclerating you have to worry about, it's cornering :ph34r:

i have all BBM mounts and my alternator "did" rub on the chassis rail

it wont now, can you see why :D

DSC05625.jpg

Fox

The simple idea's are the best!

marksorrento205

Looks stunning. Given me a few ideas and exspense :D

mechanicalrepairs

Well starting to get there slowly now, seems the easy bit was getting the engine in, the hard bit seems to be getting all the pipe work to mount and avoid fouling the exhaust manifold etc, Are new pipes needed to be made up, they seem to run very close to the exhaust manifold?

I also fitted a gti6 clutch the pull type, i have repced the original cable with a gti6 one and it works but needs just a little bit more, i have an idea of cutting out the stop from the original cable and adding that to the one fitted, have test tried it and it solves the problem, my question is how have you people that have done this overcome this.

Last one for now, the drivers engine mount i have heard some people use a shorter one to help with the master cylinder clearance, do you know which one it is and where i can get hold of one.

Thanks to anyone who wishes to help me out.

Carl

Matt Holley

I extended my heater hoses, as you say the original hose wont really strech far enough, have you decided how you are going to run the hoses yet?

There seems to be a few differant ways of plumbing the header tank into it, I used a t peice to go into the heater hoes that joins onto the black metal pipe that goes down the back of the engine into the distibution block, to me that makes it as original as posible but I did see somewhere the other day someone found a block from a diesel that had more outlets so you could plumb it up the same as the original 8v.

Matt Holley
it's not acclerating you have to worry about, it's cornering ;)

i have all BBM mounts and my alternator "did" rub on the chassis rail

it wont now, can you see why ;)

DSC05625.jpg

Thats a novel idea, I was just skimming over it and saw the pics and thought '3 buffers :D ' then read the text :blush:

Spiky

rs2000 mount is what i found, the the sheep came..lol

you need to drop the gearbox side a little too

but i thought you had it fitted up with MC and bulkhead clearance??? so if you have there is no need

for plumbing, i use std 8c pipes and added a few bits to get the right angles

mechanicalrepairs
I extended my heater hoses, as you say the original hose wont really strech far enough, have you decided how you are going to run the hoses yet?

There seems to be a few differant ways of plumbing the header tank into it, I used a t peice to go into the heater hoes that joins onto the black metal pipe that goes down the back of the engine into the distibution block, to me that makes it as original as posible but I did see somewhere the other day someone found a block from a diesel that had more outlets so you could plumb it up the same as the original 8v.

Thats the block i bought, from a d turbo and has four outlets, i tried to plumb it in and leave the pipes as is but as you say they are a little short, just wondered how other have it done.

I will get extending then.

Carl

Spiky

though i dont run the oil cooler :D

gti6cooling.jpg

mechanicalrepairs

Well got it up and running yesterday, sounds great, only kept it running for about a minute as there is no coolant hoses connected and the exhaust isnt fitted yet, just got to finish off the final touches and it will then be taken home to sit in the garage till the summer.

Carl

mechanicalrepairs

Done a little more to it today, managed to fit the rest of the exhaust to the car including a cat so it will run just as it intended like in the 306's, had to fit a cat pipe from the 306 and mate it to the original cat off of the 205, i can tell you it looks a work of art.

205andvariousparts001.jpg

Also fitted the linkage to the subframe and fitted one linkage the larger of the two, not to sure on which one is used for the short one as a standard 306 one seems to small, anyone help on that small matter?

Other than perfecting the wiring loom on sat/sun and fitting all the last bits in i think its about there.

Things to finish-

Perfecting the wiring loom (hopefully this weekend)

Fit the missing linkage unsure which it is? :lol

Plumb in the coolant hoses

Fit stiffer rear engine mounting

fit o/s drive shaft

Fill gearbox with oil

Fit the rest of the car back together, front bumper and trim, then it is going home to hibernate till next summer.

A bit more-

Wahoo, my loom works, plugged it in and turned the key first position.......we have ignition.......turn the key and she fired up!!!

Well impressed, just got to put the rest of it back together then sort the rev counter out, someone said about removing a diode, anyone have any more details for me?

Thanks, Carl

Spiky

nice one :lol:

great when they start first time ;)

rev counter looms in stock :D

taylorspug
Thats the block i bought, from a d turbo and has four outlets, i tried to plumb it in and leave the pipes as is but as you say they are a little short, just wondered how other have it done.

I will get extending then.

Carl

Get the block from a 205 dturbo, including the hoses, they are slightly longer and you wont have to extend anything. just carefully place a couple of cable ties to keep the hoses away from the manifold. :blink:

Fox

Coming along nicely!

I take it you've got to use the Cat for MOT purposes, but does the standard 205 exhaust mate up with the 6 manifold?

Slippy

Very nice mate :ph34r:

Are you considering sticking a LSD in ?