• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

acox99

What Have You Done To Your 205 Today?

DamirGTI

I see , then , the obvious solution with regards to taxing newer cars living in Netherlands is : sell the Polo and keep the 205 instead as an daily drive ! B) .. seems economic sense , + new cars are kinda crap/dull and expensive to maintain anyways .

Thus personally i wouldn't mind that at all , 205 has been my daily for 18 years , and as it seems will be so in the future "till the rust break us apart" !

D

Steve205

We get 2 years NCT (mot) here in Ireland on cars over 30 years also. Annual road tax of €56 too. When car reaches 40 it's exempt from car testing..... Roll on 2029...

Stephen.

DamirGTI

Not possible over here , no matter the year the car was maid it's the same s*** system ..1 years worth MOT for all except brand new cars which think have 2 years MOT from new till they end up being 2/3 years old then it's the same , needs new MOT on 1 year expiration basis .

For older cars +30 years old , only option is to apply/register it as an "old-timer" history vehicle , then the MOT and insurance is around 50% off the usual price so cheaper but still on 1 year renewal basis ! ..

In order to get it register as an history vehicle , it needs to go to the special inspection center to get the certificate (sometimes it passes , sometimes not ..) plus the price of all this acrobatic experience getting the certificate and all the rest is really not worth the bother financially nor for mental health .. for the sake of some % discount price on yearly MOT .

But the most ridiculous thing is , when it finally gets the certificate and history vehicle title (includes special plates too) gets the valid years worth MOT , by the traffic law , you cannot really use it/drive it on a daily basis like a regular daily drive . Can drive it/use it only for traveling to-and.from "old-timer" history vehicle gatherings/festivals and similar , old car events and the likes !

Said last year at the MOT station , what the F***  is the use of all that then i want to be able to drive it daily , not periodically and hiding it for the rest of the year in the garage or on the driveway and performing visual and mental masturbation sitting and looking at it . :wacko:

D

Telf

Today I spent the afternoon trying to resolve my cold idle slight issue.

I know the easy way to fix it, buy a motor controlled air valve for the ECU to operate... 

So anyway I decided to try and refit the original SAD and see how the ECU dealt with that. Short story it didn't work!

Massively too much air with the idle showing a ridiculous lean burn at 20 on the air ratio. Fine when driving obviously as your opening up the throttle so the air leak via the SAD is neither here nor there.

Back to the sensible plan of ordering a new bit and wiring it in. I'm just being bone idle really. :)

Thijs_Rallye
On 7/22/2021 at 12:55 PM, DamirGTI said:

I see , then , the obvious solution with regards to taxing newer cars living in Netherlands is : sell the Polo and keep the 205 instead as an daily drive ! B) .. seems economic sense , + new cars are kinda crap/dull and expensive to maintain anyways . 

I've used this 205 as a daily for 3 years. I drive about 25 to 30k each year and with the current petrol prices it is practically unaffordable (almost 2€/l now). The 205 costs about 275€ tax per year. It should've been tax free for 5 years now, but they scrapped that tax ruling since our government decided these do not qualify as a classic car.

DamirGTI

True , petrol prices are insane (diesel also) ... used to run mine on LPG , think i'll repeat the process for the following years .

D

petert

Historical plates are reasonable here in NSW, Australia. I can’t speak for other states however. The car needs to be 30+ years old, standard, get a pink slip ($30) and be approved by a car club. Then it’s $60 per year for rego. You can drive it 60 days per year (log booked) and to club events. 

Driving it 1 in 6 days is exceptional I believe. I’m just getting my Mi16x4 ready and I’ll change my Nissan Patrol over as well next year.

barneys66

Some carb tinkering on Saturday - still not 100% happy with the idle but they're nicely balanced.

Autosolo on Sunday went well though - managed to remain fault free for once so very pleased with 1st in class and 2nd overall.  Tyre pressures too low so finished off a pair of fronts but was nice whilst it lasted, and reminded me of the need to fit those 309 arms sat on the shelf..

Last time I wore #13 I blew my headgasket, so it was good to put those demons to bed, but as my lucky number is 26 I'm now sure that having 13 on both sides is a good thing..

51429682067_4bd53a1e42_h.jpg

51429682342_e839fbd522_h.jpg

51430443101_56e1323fe5_h.jpg

• Like 1

keeperlit

Took my 89 GTi6  for MoT today, and it only failed on one thing after being laid up for 7 years!

Unfortunately that one thing is the roof and B pillar rust

Time for a new roof, or more likely a new shell...

I really did enjoy being out for a drive in it again. Too bad I'll have to cancel the insurance but on the plus side I'm inside the 14 days cooling off period

IMG_20210915_184005.jpg

wicked

Nice effort! 

I copied the Murray axle stands and added 2  2m-rulers to measure the toe; diff measured at the front and back and calculate the toe with excel...

Still need to do a similar back side frame to get the steering wheel really centered.

360.jpg360.jpg

Replicates the wheel with weight on it, but with freedom to do measurements:

360.jpg

Edited by wicked

SweetBadger

That looks good - I like that you can easily measure / move the tracking without the wheels on.

I used a couple of magazines under each tyre as makeshift turn plates - works well, but is still awkward to get to the track rods to adjust with wheels on.

mmt

Is that 2.4 degrees negative camber in your picture? 

wicked

Yes, the car has rose joint arms. 

Meanwhile with camber plates at - 3.0

Edited by wicked

jamorgan4

The last thing that my dad did for this classic car is change its tires and polish the wheels. 

By the way, do you guys know where I can find the introduction section? 

1987 Peugeot 205.jpg

Edited by jamorgan4

Gohn
12 hours ago, jamorgan4 said:

do you guys know where I can find the introduction section?

introduction section of what ?

ScoobyJawa

Had a nice run around the country back roads on Sat before garaging her back up for the winter on Sunday.  

• Like 1

Free_Richard_Kimble

I tried to find others like mine it's a1995  205 prestige ...anybody seen similar ...really want to find another 

boldy205

Looked at it, decided that I've not got that much to do untill it's MOT time......let's see if that's true when I actually get around to putting it all back together! Haha!

Telf

A new addition to the fleet.  62000 miles , £400. 1.4 thats very tidy

received_629287861559815.jpeg

• Like 1

joris_andriesse

Fitted a new interior heater core and a new brake booster.
I expect a new master brake cylinder to be delivered tomorrow and then I need to rearrange the brake lines, because I removed the ABS unit, so I will have to go from a 2 port mbc to a 4 port mbc.

acox99
On 11/20/2021 at 2:48 PM, Telf said:

Blimey a phase 1 306 is a rare sight on the road today. My first car was an L reg XTDT in red with velour interior and rear head rests. I loved it. 

28hodge

Taken it for it’s first MOT since 1995. On the fence as to if it’ll pass

Alan_M
On 11/20/2021 at 2:48 PM, Telf said:

I had an S reg with the alloy 1.4 engine and multi-point injection. Quite miss the cars simplicity and the 'I-don't-give-a-s*it' attitude I had with it. Utterly gutless though, but that made it more of a challenge through the lanes. Had to carry speed as much as possible with the car at comical leaning!

I have a s*itload of parts, new and old, for a TU including head sets. Give me a PM if interested (There is a topic in For Sale somewhere).

For one of my 205s, I built a new beam for the Miami. 23mm torsion bars, 25mm arb, zx arms, 306 hubs, Tarmac Bilstein shocks and solids.

Beam.jpg

Tom Fenton

Fed up with a poor handbrake on my road rally car decided it was time for action.

I retained the drum brakes when I built it, as the handbrake on my standard 1.6 is always much keener than a caliper equipped 1.9. However even with a hydraulic handbrake with a small 0.5" cylinder the rear brakes still won't lock 8 times out of 10.

Visually the drums do look very small when viewed through the Compomotive wheels I usually run.

I know when I navigated for Allan he never had much success either with a hydraulic handbrake on his road rally 205 with the 1.9 rear calipers. I also know the PTS group A cars of the 80/90's used an AP 2 pot rear caliper, I think this must have been that they had the same issue and couldn't get a good handbrake out of the standard components.

The final nail in the coffin was researching on google and came across a thread on here of a guy who was having a similar problem, he fitted front bendix calipers on the back and said the resulting big increase in rear piston area and hence brake force gave him a hyd handbrake that would lock easily every time. He also mentioned that with the old brake setup even with his bias valve fully open the rear brakes would never lock. I have this issue too suggesting the rear brakes aren't powerful enough.

So much scouring of ebay and google for a suitable rear caliper began. Constraints being that it had to fit behind a standard 15" wheel, that it couldn't be too deep as the rear inner arch on a 205 is quite close by, and that it must have a cable handbrake lever as this is needed by C&U and also road rally regulations.

Decided that a later PSA rear caliper could do the trick, 207/307/C4 etc not massive, and used on a 247mm dia solid rear disc on those cars too. Quick message to Calvin and a pair of C4 calipers from his wifes car were donated to the cause, thank you Cal if you read this.

DB6088AE-5260-4979-888C-58DA01EF908D.jpeg

Initial mock up with a bit of ally plate to get some datum dimensions

C390D92D-3C5C-4877-8256-4E1718257852.jpeg

Sketch first attempt at bracket then cut from 10mm MDF to test fit

656E65CE-7BF0-407C-9FE0-DDB3B30B1CE0.jpeg

Couple of mods to dimensions and shape and then have it laser cut

62F673D5-6C22-4728-8598-9EDA6430749A.jpeg

Mock up again with pads in. Spaced off with washers for now, need to make some stand off spacers, however the bonus here is I can use the 205 or 306 offset disc by fitting or removing the spacers. Going for 205 offset to start with as this moves the rear of the caliper 5mm away from the inner arch for clearance.

So far so good. Next is to build a pair onto some spare trailing arms then fit to the car and think about handbrake cables and brake lines.

• Like 2