• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

will1991

[Car_Overhaul] Will1991's Steel Grey Spruce-Up

acox99

Great project. This forum is producing some fantastic restorations.

will1991

Thanks all, it's much appreciated, I'm really pleased with how it's coming along.

For reference re. my flywheels, the 1900 I replaced with the 1600 was weighed last night at 7.2kg so 850g saving there.

While I'm waiting for bits to turn up I've been messing with an idea I had months ago. I was really keen to keep my original Clarion stereo to keep it all looking original in the cabin but, as somebody of the IPod generation, I wasn't so keen on only having access to a tape deck and radio offering sound of dubious quality, even with the new speakers I fitted a couple of years ago.

So what I thought I'd do was have a second stereo tucked away somewhere that actually dealt with sound while the Clarion just sat there looking pretty, although I still want the Clarion to light up...so it doesn't look broken.

What I've done is some chopping up of a stereo adapter with a Peugeot plug cut out of a car at the scrappies, resulting in this... Peugeot female to ISO and Peugeot male, but the Peugeot male has no speaker wiring to it.

P1020605_zps4e82e592.jpg

What I now need to do is extend the ISO cables by c.1m as I'm putting the new stereo in the cubby hole South East of the steering wheel. The radio aerial lead isn't a problem as it comes down the driver’s side A pillar anyway.

The only reason I can actually get a stereo in this cubby hole is because it has no CD drive (making it about 11cm in depth front to back) and is unbelievably light. It's a Philips CE153DR so has 2 USB ports, aux in, DAB compatibility, an SD slot and Bluetooth which is more than adequate. The best part is that it cost me just £17 or something like that from Halfords down from about £150...bargain.

Today I put together a really crude mounting structure for it involving 3 bits of scrap aluminium riveted together, a piece of inner tube and 2 elastic bands. It's a bit Blue Peter-esk but does exactly what I need it to and is all out of sight. The only thing I'll need to do now is put two holes in the back of the trim for cable access - I didn't want to have to modify the trim but I'll just make sure it's super neat.

P1020599_zpsf2f17f21.jpg

P1020600_zps9072c0d4.jpg

P1020606_zps2e31015c.jpg

P1020612_zpsa88f55af.jpg

Anyway, tried it in the car earlier and it looks nice and discreet, which exactly what I was going for.

P1020586_zpsfd408248.jpg

P1020593_zpse9ed07bc.jpg

P1020591_zps4618978a.jpg

Will

Edited by will1991

Andy_C

Great project. This forum is producing some fantastic restorations.

Ditto. This is another cracker and I really like the work on the radio. That's a clever solution.

Tom_Gallington06

Awesome project, keep it up. I love steel grey 205's to.

will1991

Thanks for the kind comments. The last of my bits arrived last week so this weekend the job was to get it running.

But while I was waiting I went about sorting the tiny bits of surface rust on the underside of my bonnet and re-dyed the sound proofing.

Photo0073_zpsln4sl9p9.jpg

Photo0076_zpszmohm9ln.jpg

I also went over the exhaust with a wet and dry pad thing before giving it a few coats of VHT clear lacquer. It came up quite well and the underside now looks complete...and pretty nice. The underside brake and fuel lines were done shortly before I bought the car so I haven't changed these, they'd have been much neater if I'd done them!

P1020622_zpskji6woxv.jpg

P1020732_zpse1fy3my2.jpg

P1020734_zps6kexlks1.jpg

P1020731_zpsrie9rjxm.jpg

The 'secret stereo' install was completed with the arrival of a 1m ISO to ISO connection. I also switched the dodgy elastic band holding it into the cubby-hole with a proper strap. I'm really quite pleased with this.

P1020616_zpsouu9jsrh.jpg

P1020618_zpski5poavh.jpg

P1020621_zpsccq6iv0z.jpg

Another thing I did, to free up some space at home more than anything else, was fit my new oe bumper, which I've had for about 2 years, together with the driving lights etc. It currently has the original red strip in there but I've now got some brand new front and rear ones to go in, they just need painting.

P1020629_zpsp45fzdi9.jpg

Putting all the last bits of engine together happened this weekend, including the fitting of my refurb'd injectors which came back with this report, so some improvement:

P1020743_zpsbse03wqg.jpg

Photo0085_zps73xzfcw6.jpg

Anyway, it started straight away and idled nicely. It's almost certainly running better than it ever has in my ownership - although I'd expect it to given the key parts I've had refurbished. I had just one leak from the radiator sensor which I've since nipped up. I'd forgotten what a busy engine bay these have!

P1020718_zpsac89pmwu.jpg

I've also fitted a set of the OE buffer shims to take up the slack around the upper engine mount. The pack comes with 6 shims - 2x1mm, 2x2mm, 2x3mm - I used 1 of each.

1mm%202mm%203mm_zpsto58s1sv.jpg

P1020633_zpsunvmdkju.jpg

Next job was brakes so I fitted new discs, Mintex M1144 pads in the front, standard Mintex in the rear and had my ATE Super Blue Racing Fluid ready for a bleed. I thought bleeding would be fine as I'd done quite a lot previously, but it wasn't. I don't really know what was up, but using the 2 man method it just didn't seem to be working as it should. Following a suggestion on here I had a go with an Easibleed and it blitzed the job basically...highly recommended.

P1020727_zpstfejuvgq.jpg

P1020741_zpsdlwknl1w.jpg

P1020729_zpsiuyg6mvb.jpg

P1020725_zps54zm9h61.jpg

I then filled up the PAS system, bolted the slam panel down and fitted my shiney new grill badge...which brings us up to present. I'll be getting the wheels on and dropping it to the floor tomorrow hopefully - not far off now!

P1020712_zpswrjms95m.jpg

P1020710_zps44gddp4q.jpg

Will

HERMAN

Looking really good Will.

Who do you use for your plating in the Derby area?

will1991

I've used both Nun Street Plating and Derby Plating.

Derby Plating are very good but also expensive. Nun St is close on quality but a tad cheaper - these are who I'd recommend on the whole.

I also used Electroplate UK for a batch. Cheap but I'd say the results are no better than satisfactory on the whole. I had to get a few bits redone.

Edited by will1991
  • Like 1

GLPoomobile

First of all, love this project. Along with a few others it's one I look forward to seeing the updates on.

Secondly, and for the benefit mainly of anyone else inspired by it, I can confirm that a full CD headunit will fit in the cubby hole. I did the same a few years ago (mine was also very Blue Peter, and would liked to have redone it 'properly'). You may find that the trim will squeek about a bit more as it's not a well secured piece and now has to carry extra weight.

Edited by GLPoomobile

HERMAN

Cheers Will

will1991

This evening was a good one...I drove it! Only a few laps round the drive but I did!

It would have been yesterday but the garage who kindly lend me tools had their massive 3/4" socket set out for the day so I couldn't do up the front hub nuts. I stuck the wheels back on with my newly re-plated wheel nuts.

P1020746_zpsjxvz59d9.jpg

Anyway, obviously I loved it but things that I know need sorting are the brake pedal, which although solid is a bit long (so I'm not totally out of the woods on the brakes) and a slightly sticky throttle at the body, so I'll have a look at them soon. Other observations included how tiny, and low it is on its Eibachs, you don't realise when it's on axle stands. Also, does anybody know where this plug is meant to go? It wasn't labelled when I came back to it...

P1020769_zps38r9md9k.jpg

Anyway, here are some photos in decent light. It was looking good despite the muck and need for trim treatment, I'm excited.

P1020750_zpsrtqnnyc8.jpg

P1020756_zpstwv3xyyl.jpg

P1020766_zpsumg8aukg.jpg

P1020767_zps84t3k73h.jpg

P1020771_zpsytea7ckt.jpg

P1020772_zpszoejml1n.jpg

P1020777_zpsu4bt13kd.jpg

Will

Edited by will1991

jackherer

Very nice, the various plated bits and ultra straight brake lines make the engine bay really impressive.

Andy_C

Looking splendid. Agree that the detail in the engine bay is particularly impressive - really neat.

mrfirepro

Always look forward to your updates, nice info on the shims as I didn't know they were available.

Juttie205

so glad I've choosen steel grey for my dimma your car looks stunning.

HERMAN

that's good to hear Will if you ever need to borrow any tools give me a shout. I am in Mickleover.

welshpug

the spare red plug is used by twin fan models, IIRC its an ignition switched live.

will1991

Thanks all, I'll just be getting on with fine tuning things now ready for an MOT.

The other thing I'll mention just for reference as a couple have commented on it; the HEL rear brake hoses from trailing arm piping to caliper, which seem excessively long, have loads of clearance with the wheels on and car on the floor so no issues there.

Always look forward to your updates, nice info on the shims as I didn't know they were available.

As with so many things, Farmer's your man for these. Washers with a slot cut out would work but if you want it doing properly....

that's good to hear Will if you ever need to borrow any tools give me a shout. I am in Mickleover.

Thanks Neil, that's very good of you. I've got most things, just the limited use tools I haven't bothered buying so I'll be in touch if I get stuck in the future.

the spare red plug is used by twin fan models, IIRC its an ignition switched live.

Great, I leave it be then. Cheers

johnboy1984

This is stunning!!... Ive got a really nice, mainly original red 1.9 that I intend to do exactly what you have done here... Stunning work mate... Mine has 87k on the clock, I will add a few pics in this section at some point this week.... Watch this space...

will1991

Done a few bits and bobs over the last few weeks, including MOT the other day which it aced with no advisories whatsoever. The only thing that I'll be doing on the back of the MOT is adjusting the CO at idle, but I'll ask for 10 mins on the local garage's analyser to do that, as mine was only just below the 3.5% limit.

I'll go through what I've done in chronological order:

I decided to respray the sunroof rails and handle bolts in satin black as they were looking a bit shoddy against the rest of the car. I also resprayed the boot floor as I'd treated a couple of surface rust patches and it looked messy, even if it is just going to hide under carpet.

P1020780_zpsjjyygzqs.jpg

P1020790_zpsptuxv8kq.jpg

P1020990_zpstq8ekaco.jpg

Photo makes the boot floor look really patchy for some reason...it's not!

P1020787_zpsdwzcvm9e.jpg

Seals on my side repeaters were replaced with the ones that come with the cheap £2 repeaters from CP4L. These were a great improvement over the crusty originals and allowed me to retain the original AXO lenses.

P1020810_zps9g5il0ur.jpg

The weather strips on the doors were replaced. You can only buy passenger side ones now (unless you'll pay big money for the Peugeot museum repros) so like a few on here I just adapted one to fit the drivers side. The shrinkage on the originals was clear to see!

P1020801_zpsd12obhns.jpg

P1020805_zps9ehaff32.jpg

P1020804_zpszielufjy.jpg

P1020812_zpsaka3hzvz.jpg

At the same time, I fitted the PSCUK repro door pillar decals, which look smarter than the stickyback plastic I was using previously, and dusted the rear quaterlight studs in satin black.

P1020992_zpsdovnk0dc.jpg

The rest of my engine bay stickers were applied and I stuck some helitape over the slam panel where the bonnet catch comes down.

P1020982_zps27cp9wpb.jpg

P1020985_zpsfpdlpqnt.jpg

I spent aaages aligning the bonnet but i'm satisfied with it now. Here's another detail I like.

P1020984_zps45jv6asq.jpg

Powder coated wiper arms and new Bosch blades were fitted with new caps.

P1020822_zps8wagkkgw.jpg

Brand new OE gearknob fitted with original cap . Another bit of work I did not long after I got the car was to line the cubby hole with carpet to stop things rattling around in there.

P1020998_zpsqwgqlfa8.jpg

P1020999_zps6mmcvyy9.jpg

My front and rear bumper trims weren't quite perfect so Farmer got me some brand new chrome strips, as red are no longer available, and I sprayed all the strips in Peugeot Cherry red so they've all regained their vibrance and are dent and crease free.

P1030001_zpsno2o76gw.jpg

P1030007_zpsvxqvivk0.jpg

The interior got a thorough clean including door shuts, which were pretty manky, as did the rest of the car ready for its MOT.

P1020807_zps9uckgyne.jpg

P1020809_zpsb6ilew0z.jpg

I got a new (to me) Carcoon for it this week so that'll be its new home, hopefully keeping the elements away!

P1030012_zps7q1dub9j.jpg

That brings this up to date. I've got it booked in for alignment next week on a Hunter so I'll have the toe corrected as it's well out at the moment! Having done some reading on here I thought I'd go for completely neutral toe so I'm looking forward to having a proper blast once that's done.

Cheers,

Will

credowan

Absolutely stunning and a real credit to your hard work and attention to detail, you should be very happy with how it's all turned out

Time to enjoy it

Gary

Rock Lobster

Stunning looking machine mate fair play

calvinhorse

Breathtaking! The title spruce up is a bit of an understatement!

Did the wiper arms just get powder coated in one piece?

yeti-dj

really nice work!

wish i had the time and more space to get on with my rebuild.

GLPoomobile

Excellent work. I've really enjoyed following this project, and Steel Grey us still my favourite.

I like that you've gone with normal wiper blades too. There was such a fad for 'aero' blades (I've got them too) but IMO they don't look right on older cars and the normal ones are much more subtle.

will1991

Thanks.

I did consider aero blades but I think the visual difference is actually quite distinct against the standard ones, and when - other than being dropped a few mm - the car otherwise looks original I thought it'd be a bit of a shame.

Breathtaking! The title spruce up is a bit of an understatement!

Did the wiper arms just get powder coated in one piece?

The wiper arms obviously had the blades and nut caps removed but were then just coated as is. However, I did ask that they were done in the 'right angle position' if that makes sense(?) so that the spring and everything down there would get proper coverage.

Nah, still on original exterior paintwork so still just a spruce!

I'll post up the findings from the alignment next week, hopefully I'm not going to find I've got a bent up beam or something! I also plan to go over the car with a machine polisher once funds allow a DA, hopefully later in the year.

Edited by will1991