• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

All Praise The GTI

V6 Flywheel Setup Query

All Praise The GTI

So almost got my 306 V6 conversion running but having another issue. not in a 205 but it's info on the V6 engine specifically Iam after.

Basically the engine isn't turning over.. the starter is firing but it's like engine is seized. (Which damn hope it's not!)

The engine I fitted was from an auto but obviously I fitted a normal v6 manual flywheel.

I didn't fitt any spacers behind flywheel as wasn't sure if needed them and am now suspecting it's bolted up tight to the engine :(

Could someone with service box please get me a picture of the v6 manual flywheel setup please or tell me from their own knowledge if and what spacers I might need between flywheel and engine.

Don't want take box off again if not needed as all running gear bolted on and tightened up now :(

Thanks in advance

welshpug

no spacers between the crank and flywheel, only under the bolt heads.

pull the plugs out and see how easy it turns over with a spanner on the crank pulley.

All Praise The GTI

Inlet off and new plugs back out and I can't turn it over.. I've heard they are a pig to turn over like this anyway but I'm worried if I try and harder il round or snap the pulley bolt :(

Iam sure when we put Flywheel on we had wedge it so could tighten the bolts so it must of been turning to start with.

There's only one other thing I can think of and that's a bolt or something has fallen in the box and is jammed in-between flywheel and box maybe?

Really am stuck on this one. I never thought to turn engine over while out so can't say 100% it's not seized but was sold it as a known good engine apparently. And as said the flywheel had be wedged to tighten bolts so must of been turning.. ... Any ideas guys?! :(

Miles

Did you take the bush out of the crank? Auto's have them manuals do not, Been years since I took a flywheel off so look at service box and see what's listed on there

All Praise The GTI

Bush...? No idea what your on about miles so that will be a no I reckon?!

I can't access service box I tried and it said I needed a login and password?? That's why I kindly asked if someone could post some screenshots off there for me so I can see what's supposed be on there :)

Ryan

Are these what you're looking for?

Auto

post-5273-0-87872400-1497387972_thumb.png

Manual

post-5273-0-12987900-1497388008_thumb.png

All Praise The GTI

Yes exactly thankyou mate. Altho now Abit confused... Aren't 11+12 just the one piece flywheel.. surely it's not a separate starting ring that's part of the flywheel??

If not I'm missing a piece?!?! :S

welshpug

look at number 11 on the auto diagram.

All Praise The GTI

Yes I saw that... The manual box was a pig to get on... Is that bush pressed into or around the shaft input hole? Could it be seizing the gearbox shaft/crank(engine) all solid?

If so looks like the bloody box does need come off then :(

hoodygoodwood

Ring gears are normally a separate circle of steel that is heated then fitted to the flywheel and shrunk into place , the service box diagram is just showing a replacement ring gear in the unlikely event that you need to change it . I believe the bush that Miles is talking about might be number 11 in the top picture , some cranks have a bush or needle roller race that the gearbox input shaft runs in .

All Praise The GTI

Yes that's what I thought about the starter gear and yes I saw the bush on picture. As said the box was a pig to fitt on the floor. Could this bush be jamming the whole lot up tight because the flywheel is tightened up against it??

welshpug

yes, also if you missed out number 13 'support washer' on the manual flywheel diagram, the bolts may protrude out the back too far, not certain on this as it has been so long since I put one of these together.

dcc

Had my defender similar situation, wouldnt turn over when changed clutch, too much pressure from box on the clutch and it basically seized solid. Box off sort clutch splines and all was good.

All Praise The GTI

Yes no 13 was on welshpug.

Bugger.. guess the box is coming off tonight then :( bloody typical as I put oil in the box, tightened up driveshaft 11mms, hubnuts and new ball joints .. was all ready to fire up :(

Cheers guys I'll report back what I find tonight

welshpug

thats a bummer, did you get as far as clipping the release bearing into the pressure plate too?

All Praise The GTI

Not sure what you mean welshpug.. the whole conversion is done.. it was ready to run! Full hydraulic clutch and cable shift conversion done

welshpug

oh, its a pull clutch but comes as 3 piece and you clip the release bearing into the pressure plate, its a one shot deal.

All Praise The GTI

I've reused the clutch that I got with it as was apparently quite new. It was a f***er getting the box on and the arm in the bearing. Same issue as with the VTS box (any pull clutch) can be a pig especially when the v6 box weighs as much as a baby elephant :s

Goliath

When you take the box off you will have to either buy a new release bearing or it is sometimes possible to split the release bearing by removing the split ring/circlip thingy. Very fiddly job though.

As a side note, there is a username and password for servicebox in my signature just at the bottom of my post \/

All Praise The GTI

O really?! I've always just struggled like hell the wriggle boxes on while fiddling with the clutch fork to get it aligned and slide in as box slides in. Is a pig but I've done loads like it.. I've brought several new 3 piece (described clutch's and usually valeo ones) in past but they have always come with the bearing already fitted to the pressure plate never separately?!

No wonder I always struggle!!

Got the box off in no time last night then spent a few hrs trying get it back on and it still isn't!! Hopefully will get it on tonight and see if it still turns over, as soon as box was off the engine turned over easily. There was NO bush in the end of crank it was all identical to my manual engines crank. I'll report back once Iam sure I've solved the issue...

P.s thanks for the login details Goliath I hadn't seen that sign before as was using the mobile version of site on my phone and doesn't shows sigs!

welshpug

did you try turning the engine over?

All Praise The GTI

Yes welshpug.. as soon as box was off it turned over surprisingly easily. I think I have solved the issue but I won't say how until the box is on and I've confirmed its ok. Fingers crossed it will still turn over ok and i can build it all back up again :)

All Praise The GTI

Hey guys I did remedy this issue the other week so thought I better post back to help anyone that sees this in future search's.

It turns out I'm the most unlucky person ever.. somehow a 13mm stainless bolt fell into the box and the first time I turned it over it jammed itself between the clutch cover plate and the gearbox casing inside.. completely seizing it all up. As soon as unbolted box it fell out (altho didn't notice at first) so I had remove subframe and box and took clutch off to make sure!! Was a mission but all back together and turns over lovely. Altho now have a non starting issue due to pump not priming.. about start another thread tho. Thanks for help guys

All Praise The GTI
IMG_20170614_194733.jpg