Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Engine Swop

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

timmsy19

timmsy19
  • Drivers
  • 1,055 posts
  • Name:Graham
hi guys ive just been reading through the topic below about changing a 1.4 xs enigne and putting in a 1.6 16v lump or mi16 lump.....now here the thing...i have a 205 1.0 trio plus absolutly mint body work which ive now decided i want to keep as it is. i just want to change the engine for something aqbit more worth while. i belive the engine i have is the TU series?....i have a 4 speed gearbox which definatly has to go. im thinking maybe an engine conversion maybe a 1.3 or 1.4 engine and gear box.... is this an easy thing to do and whats involved. ive asked some places that do this type of thing but have had no luck.

Richie-Van-GTi

Richie-Van-GTi
  • Drivers
  • 2,290 posts
  • Name:Richie
if your sticking with a carbed engine then it will be pretty simple, gearbox change may require new linkages but nothing rocket science to swap. I'd say best option will be the 1.4 carbed lump.

timmsy19

timmsy19
  • Drivers
  • 1,055 posts

if your sticking with a carbed engine then it will be pretty simple, gearbox change may require new linkages but nothing rocket science to swap. I'd say best option will be the 1.4 carbed lump.

im looking at the TU3 engine from the 85bhp xs with the xs gear box for the lower gear ratio at the mo. ive got a manual choke will this be a problem as wel as a diffrent dial arrangement

Richie-Van-GTi

Richie-Van-GTi
  • Drivers
  • 2,290 posts
  • Name:Richie
you wont have a tacho but it wont stop the engine from working. You will need the fuel pump for whatever engine you go for. Not sure about the choke issue, all depends how the autochoke works on the other engine.

Kriss

Kriss
  • Drivers
  • 150 posts

im looking at the TU3 engine from the 85bhp xs with the xs gear box for the lower gear ratio at the mo. ive got a manual choke will this be a problem as wel as a diffrent dial arrangement

as far as i know, the xs engine has a manual choke on it aswell as it's a carb model. For the dial arangement, you should try and get an xs dashboard aswell. I dunno how hard the wiring up is, im not great with electrics. This is something im considering doing myself. Or, just remove the four speed box and replace it with a five speed. All depends on money and can i get an xs.

timmsy19

timmsy19
  • Drivers
  • 1,055 posts
yes the xs is very hard to get hold of. i had the idea of changing the gearbox the the xs 1 but i just need more power than 44bhp (lol) otherwise what is the point.

thanks for the help guys.

Kriss

Kriss
  • Drivers
  • 150 posts
thats a valid point. put some twin 40's on it and that problem might vanish, lol

timmsy19

timmsy19
  • Drivers
  • 1,055 posts
any 1 know of the cost to get my 1.0 to a 1.4 xs engine with xs gearbox profeesionally changed?

RHULPUG

RHULPUG
  • Drivers
  • 1,127 posts
It all depends on your reasons for this:

Are you too young for insurance on a GTi?
An XS can be picked up for a few hundred, so why not just get one of those and spend a little on the mechanics and bodywork. Most garages will want a few hundred for just a swap, and if your only gain is the power of a 1.4, is it really worth it?

There are many members on here who are more than capable of doing the work, just depends is it really worth it?....however, an Mi16 lump in a trio would be worth it!More power does mean you'd have to uprate other components such as the brakes, driveshafts and the suspension etc...do a search and I'm sure you'll find plenty.

Here's some useful websites that were still in my favorites from back in my XS days:

http://homepages.uel...182p/xsmods.htm

http://www.peugeot205xs.co.uk/

DaveW

DaveW
  • Drivers
  • 3,886 posts
no problems from going 1.0 - 1.4 everything is the same my mate ran a xs engine on a 4 sp box lol (not a good idea btw) as for the dials thats an easy swap just swap the 1.1 dial loom for a gti/xs dial loom easyer than it sounds -_-

nick-rallye

nick-rallye
  • Drivers
  • 356 posts
Was just gonna say most of the TU carb engines look indentical so it should be a fairly straight forward swap, i have a 1.4 rallye engine you can have for peanuts but it will require a head rebuild and its just the engine some alternator etc.
I have a load of rallye/xs gear linkchanges and engine mounts should you require them.

with it being a base model most brakes bolt straight onto it i think as well

or buy one of these -_-
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by nick-rallye, 04 January 2006 - 09:23 AM.

timmsy19

timmsy19
  • Drivers
  • 1,055 posts
thanks for the advise guys. as much as i would love to drop an mi16 or just go out and buy a gti its just impossible for me to insure this kind of car. hence the reason for a 1.0.

or buy one of these :rolleyes:
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

i saw that on ebay last night and though hmmmmmm maybe.

i have a guy that should be able to do the work for me but im going to need to source a complete engine with gearbox and keep costs to a minimum.

It all depends on your reasons for this:

Are you too young for insurance on a GTi?
An XS can be picked up for a few hundred, so why not just get one of those and spend a little on the mechanics and bodywork. Most garages will want a few hundred for just a swap, and if your only gain is the power of a 1.4, is it really worth it?

There are many members on here who are more than capable of doing the work, just depends is it really worth it?....however, an Mi16 lump in a trio would be worth it!More power does mean you'd have to uprate other components such as the brakes, driveshafts and the suspension etc...do a search and I'm sure you'll find plenty.

the main reason is that im 19 with a conviction on my licence(yes i know stupid thing to do but weve all done it)
the next reason being that the body work on this car is really mint. (looks like its had a real good respray) not to mention that most of the XS body work is the same as i have anyway

timmsy19

timmsy19
  • Drivers
  • 1,055 posts
anybody have any ideas on how much i should be able to get an xs engine and gearbox for?

DaveW

DaveW
  • Drivers
  • 3,886 posts
should be less than 100, tho watch the box tho as they are quite weak normaly the 2nd gear sycrno..

christopher

christopher
  • Drivers
  • 1,918 posts
Garage View Garage
I don't see a good reason to do this.

As someone has said here just get a 1.4 pug of some kind. (Rallye/XS etc). You will basically have a modified 1.0, which will probably cost more than an XS to insure.

If you ok with your hands you can probably do this yourself with a haynes manual. There is lots of room in the engine bay and if you can borrow a hoist (or buy a cheap one) then its easy enough to do yourself. I would expect a mechanic to charge you in excess of 150 to do this.

timmsy19

timmsy19
  • Drivers
  • 1,055 posts

I don't see a good reason to do this.

The main reason for this is that its very hard to find an XS body in as good condtion as the body work on my car. I dnt really mind paying that little bit more for insurance if ive got a decent all round car. Most of the XS's ive seen have very dull paint and not very good bodywork.

Guest_ecosseroy_*

Guest_ecosseroy_*
  • Guests
mi16:)

bitchass 205

bitchass 205
  • Drivers
  • 241 posts

any 1 know of the cost to get my 1.0 to a 1.4 xs engine with xs gearbox profeesionally changed?

Just buy a GTi, like i've always been saying!!!! When you coming up to wash my car again!!!!
:o :D

stu_woac

stu_woac
  • Drivers
  • 497 posts
I would talk to ted on here as he may have every thing you would need to put the vtr lump in the car including the engine and box

just a thought

if you wasn't so far away I would do a engine swap for free as I just enoy the tu engines

tus rule :o

xu are heavy and slow :D

timmsy19

timmsy19
  • Drivers
  • 1,055 posts

Just buy a GTi, like i've always been saying!!!! When you coming up to wash my car again!!!!
:D :D

alrite bro well i will come up and see you all when i get paid. what u getting me for my birthday. A gti? :D :ph34r: