Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Engine Swop

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

peter

peter
  • Drivers
  • 682 posts
Alright mate this i is exactly what i did when i was 17 having a 1.1 got an engine and box from scrapys for fifty quid and droped it in myself evrything mates up with the 1.1 drivesafts exhast etc and i fitted a stand alone rev counter in my opinion it was the best thing i have ever done with the car.You dont need any fancy tools what so ever and u certainly dont need a hoist you can quite easily pick the engine up with out the box on it,you dont need to change the fuel pump if you were closer to me i would happily do it for you for 100 as i am doing another one for a friend this sunday,Oh and btw i bought a 1.6 gti after having the xs and it was slower!! more expesive 2 repair and run and was sooo unreliable,i now have a vts, mi16 and a 2.0 turbo btw. and personaly the xs was the most "fun" especialy as it has a twin choke carb :ph34r: which kicks in lyk sum sort of nitrous.I think it is a very worth while conversion and i learnt alot from doing it.and jst to say the xs with striped out interia straight through system(from the 1.1 lol) isnt much slower to 60 than the vts but by god is the insurance cheaper good look mate.If you have any questions jst ask

Peter

timmsy19

timmsy19
  • Drivers
  • 1,055 posts
  • Name:Graham

if you wasn't so far away I would do a engine swap for free as I just enoy the tu engines

tus rule :ph34r:

well i wud be prepaired to do it. just money situation at the mo is tight till feb or march

Alright mate this i is exactly what i did when i was 17 having a 1.1 got an engine and box from scrapys for fifty quid and droped it in myself evrything mates up with the 1.1 drivesafts exhast etc and i fitted a stand alone rev counter in my opinion it was the best thing i have ever done with the car.You dont need any fancy tools what so ever and u certainly dont need a hoist you can quite easily pick the engine up with out the box on it,you dont need to change the fuel pump if you were closer to me i would happily do it for you for 100 as i am doing another one for a friend this sunday,Oh and btw i bought a 1.6 gti after having the xs and it was slower!! more expesive 2 repair and run and was sooo unreliable,i now have a vts, mi16 and a 2.0 turbo btw. and personaly the xs was the most "fun" especialy as it has a twin choke carb :D which kicks in lyk sum sort of nitrous.I think it is a very worth while conversion and i learnt alot from doing it.and jst to say the xs with striped out interia straight through system(from the 1.1 lol) isnt much slower to 60 than the vts but by god is the insurance cheaper good look mate.If you have any questions jst ask
Peter

thanks m8 that just makes me more determind to do this convertion. dispite what alot of people have said to me about how point less it is i still want to do it. As you say is good experience.

thanks m8
:D

stu_woac

stu_woac
  • Drivers
  • 497 posts
its not pointless at all dont, listern to them

I have the rare black intrior with ew as standard from my xs (not the gti one) for sale too if your ever intrested in that and I can take the whole wiring loom out for them so it can be wired back to the fuse board

timmsy19

timmsy19
  • Drivers
  • 1,055 posts

its not pointless at all dont, listern to them

I have the rare black intrior with ew as standard from my xs (not the gti one) for sale too if your ever intrested in that and I can take the whole wiring loom out for them so it can be wired back to the fuse board

that sounds good how much would you want. i would like to keep the grey/black carpet and not have the red

timmsy19

timmsy19
  • Drivers
  • 1,055 posts
ok ive decided what im getting. is it the tu3s that is in the xs or tu3a. whats the diffrence

Sandy

Sandy
  • Pitcrew
  • 4,308 posts
Head, cam, distributor, carb, gearbox.

Get the TU3S, they're about.

DaveW

DaveW
  • Drivers
  • 3,886 posts
TU3a is crap thats what i have in my GR tiny carb, crap gearbox....

timmsy19

timmsy19
  • Drivers
  • 1,055 posts

TU3a is crap thats what i have in my GR tiny carb, crap gearbox....

sound bit like my engine and gear bot atm (TU9)

DaveW

DaveW
  • Drivers
  • 3,886 posts
yep chuck it away!

Arahan

Arahan
  • Drivers
  • 713 posts
  • Name:James
i might have an XS engine soon if your still after one? you can have it with the twin choke carb and the dizzy if you want it but i need the gearbox!

stu_woac

stu_woac
  • Drivers
  • 497 posts
wheres this been draged up from LOL

I'm happy to say graham now has a xs lump in his 1.0 and done in just less than 5hrs 10hrs driving was invovled tho LOL

Guest_sam-black_*

Guest_sam-black_*
  • Guests
Funny how this has just come up again as I need an XS gearbox as mine has now died :( has anyone got 1 they're willing to sell or know of anyone who is selling?
Cheers, Sam.

timmsy19

timmsy19
  • Drivers
  • 1,055 posts
funny it should come back up. im happy to say thanks to stu-woac and the help from his mate to fit the engine. well worth the money despite what everyone said. sadly i might be moving on to other things as i need an everyday driver that is cheaper to run and insure.

will be a sad day to see it go and im tempted to store the car till i can afford to use both new car and the 205.

would recommend the convertion if anyone is looking into this still

stealth_pug

stealth_pug
  • Drivers
  • 115 posts
Tis wierd this has been dragged up i remember reading this when i did the same conversion and u even offered to sell me it wen mine blew up!! If ur moving on to other things what parts would u be selling?

timmsy19

timmsy19
  • Drivers
  • 1,055 posts
im selling the whole lot. if i dont get what i want in part ex then i might break it. but will probably sell as a whole as i just dont have time to break it

bitchass 205

bitchass 205
  • Drivers
  • 241 posts
you won't get bugger all in px mate, sell it privately. its got to be worth atleast 400? you can even take the electric windows / cental locking back, as long as you source some more fore mine obviously! :blink:

timmsy19

timmsy19
  • Drivers
  • 1,055 posts
iv been offered 1000min part ex so thats why im going to take a look on saturday

Guest_rick03054_*

Guest_rick03054_*
  • Guests

iv been offered 1000min part ex so thats why im going to take a look on saturday

I never trust this, it just means the car your going to look at has had a grand added on to the price before you get there. :)

timmsy19

timmsy19
  • Drivers
  • 1,055 posts

I never trust this, it just means the car your going to look at has had a grand added on to the price before you get there. :)

i know this is normally the case with a few places so im going to check it out. from what ive seen and read of the car it seems like its the right price for what it has

even parkers say that its bang on book price before the part ex. so just gona check it out and have a proper look before commiting to anything

Edited by timmsy19, 27 October 2006 - 11:05 AM.

stealth_pug

stealth_pug
  • Drivers
  • 115 posts
if you do sell i may be interested in the alloys if you dont mind taking them off.