Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Another Engine Smoking Thread

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

bren_1.3

bren_1.3
  • Drivers
  • 1,057 posts

110, 110, 110, 115 - Crap!

The first thing I did was to check the cam timing incase the vernier had slipped but it was OK.

After a teaspoon of oil in each bore.

145, 145, 150, 145 - Double crap - could be the rings.

its not the liners at all? become unseated somehow? ive got a mental image of spanner monkey turning it over with no liner clamps on.

trogboy

trogboy
  • Drivers+
  • 529 posts
The no one has had the head off this bottom end appart from me. I'm not loosing any water and there is no sign of any in the oil.

I don't see how disturbing the bottom seal on the liners would affect the compression anyhow.

Grahamrally

Grahamrally
  • Drivers
  • 95 posts
  • Name:Graham
There's really only so many things it can be. Really does sound ring or piston related. Certainly as they are all at the same compression values, or near enough you have to assume that the head gasket is fine, or has blown on all 4 cylinders and letting oil in, which is quite unlikely.

The fact that when you added oil meant the compression values increased really means that you've knackered something rings wise. Not sure how though.

A leakdown test might be worth while, though will probably only tell you what you already fear! If I was you I'd have the head off and the pistons out and check the liners for ovality and also check the pistons for distortion etc. Get measuring!

If you need a hand let me know, I'll be around at christmas, or you can post me the engine in bits and I'll set it up in the workshop at Uni here! :-P

bren_1.3

bren_1.3
  • Drivers
  • 1,057 posts

The no one has had the head off this bottom end appart from me. I'm not loosing any water and there is no sign of any in the oil.

I don't see how disturbing the bottom seal on the liners would affect the compression anyhow.

twas a long shot. you seemed to be pretty certain the bottom end was brand fire new, with new rings.