Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

1449cc

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Guest_JasonS_*

Guest_JasonS_*
  • Guests
Just enquiring on here if anyone has done this on the alloy TU3 block using the TU5 crankshaft and decked pistons.

Considering it but with bore/stroke ratio's altered i'm curious will it affect the "revvyness" characteristic that the 1360 has and be a bit duller through the rpm range.

Rippthrough

Rippthrough
  • Pitcrew
  • 4,181 posts

Just enquiring on here if anyone has done this on the alloy TU3 block using the TU5 crankshaft and decked pistons.

Considering it but with bore/stroke ratio's altered i'm curious will it affect the "revvyness" characteristic that the 1360 has and be a bit duller through the rpm range.

yeah, I was wondering about the diesel crank myself, anyone got any thoughts on the subject?

-Phillip

Guest_JasonS_*

Guest_JasonS_*
  • Guests
I'm talking about the TU5J2/4 crank though. Another concern is the amount that has to be taken off piston crown, will this affect piston strength considerably? Is there anywhere out there that would make up a forged item if given a sample of a normal 1360cc piston decked or the specification required either. Looking at QEP here...

Rod choices also - TU5 or TU3?

Sandy

Sandy
  • Pitcrew
  • 4,308 posts
Charlie saville (Matt Sav's brother) did one on TB's and got about 125bhp IIRC.

Guest_JasonS_*

Guest_JasonS_*
  • Guests

Charlie saville (Matt Sav's brother) did one on TB's and got about 125bhp IIRC.

Is Charlie on here? Maybe Matt can give some info on it as i'm sure he's on here with QEP being sponsors. 125bhp, seems about in line with a 1360 on bodies (depending on cam and compression ratio etc.) I'm sure the torque curve through the rpm range would see the benefits of this even more, especially down low where the TU3 lacks a bit.
Thanks

Sandy

Sandy
  • Pitcrew
  • 4,308 posts
Yeh, from memory it made a good chunk below peak. charlie isn't on much anymore because he's working abroad from memory. Matt should know about it.

Guest_JasonS_*

Guest_JasonS_*
  • Guests
Cool, thanks.

TB_205GTI

TB_205GTI
  • Veterans
  • 908 posts
Peugeot Sport Dk has made quite a few TU2J2 "magnum" engines by using the TU5D crank and machined down TU2 pistons. But they never gave any proper power - maximum I have seen from them is 125Bhp. Compared to the TU5 - it doesn't quite make sense B)

Guest_JasonS_*

Guest_JasonS_*
  • Guests

Peugeot Sport Dk has made quite a few TU2J2 "magnum" engines by using the TU5D crank and machined down TU2 pistons. But they never gave any proper power - maximum I have seen from them is 125Bhp. Compared to the TU5 - it doesn't quite make sense ;)

The extra weight of the iron block on the front end does make a differnce in handling though as i've noticed from both my AX (Rallye engine - 1360b/end) and Saxo VTR. That would be only choice to go down this route as it probably maximises the potential of the alloy block besides forced induction.

boombang

boombang
  • Drivers
  • 2,345 posts
There is a chap flying about in a 1400 16valve. I have heard (and we know how reliable that can be) that it is around 250bhp in its latest incarnation. Unsure whether it is iron block or ally but on the basis he is often quicker than WRC cars I doubt he is too worried.

TB_205GTI

TB_205GTI
  • Veterans
  • 908 posts

There is a chap flying about in a 1400 16valve. I have heard (and we know how reliable that can be) that it is around 250bhp in its latest incarnation. Unsure whether it is iron block or ally but on the basis he is often quicker than WRC cars I doubt he is too worried.

250Bhp from a 1.4L N/A engine... maybe for ten seconds :(

Rippthrough

Rippthrough
  • Pitcrew
  • 4,181 posts

250Bhp from a 1.4L N/A engine... maybe for ten seconds :(

Not really, motogp pulls 230bhp from an 800cc engine. It'd need serious amounts of work and rpm's, but plausible. It wouldn't be recognisable as a TU engine any more though.

Sandy

Sandy
  • Pitcrew
  • 4,308 posts
Given that the best 1600 TUs are giving around 220bhp, 250 from the 1.4 is unlikely.

Rippthrough

Rippthrough
  • Pitcrew
  • 4,181 posts

Given that the best 1600 TUs are giving around 220bhp, 250 from the 1.4 is unlikely.

Yep, unlikely. Possible, but unlikely.

bren_1.3

bren_1.3
  • Drivers
  • 1,057 posts
a blue series two 106 rallye springs to mind......

Rippthrough

Rippthrough
  • Pitcrew
  • 4,181 posts

a blue series two 106 rallye springs to mind......

Doesn't over here :(

TB_205GTI

TB_205GTI
  • Veterans
  • 908 posts
Does anybody know what rods Charlie used for his 1.5? I know it was machined down pistons and 1.6 crank, but what about the rods?

Sandy

Sandy
  • Pitcrew
  • 4,308 posts
1.6 ones I think.

Guest_JasonS_*

Guest_JasonS_*
  • Guests
I had heard the pistons were standard 1360 quicksilver ones decked. Not sure on the rods, would the choice of TU5 or TU3 rods ultimately affect the amount needed to deck the pistons? i.e longer rods, meaning more material needed to be removed for TDC position than using shorter rods?

Sandy

Sandy
  • Pitcrew
  • 4,308 posts
Basically, you have to add half the stroke, rod length between bore centres and piston crown height from pin centre to crown edge. Whether this adds up to mote or less than the height of the block from crank centreline to deck will tell you where the piston crown will be at TDC.