• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

[Car_Restoration] 205 Gr Project Car

Telf

I've currently got an engine sitting under a tarp from a GTX- also have the carb but I don't know if just swapping that over would provide any improvement? Having looked at the Haynes manual I'm under the impression I need a ECU for the Carb?

Gaz205

Can they not be twin carbed pretty easy?

Telf

Gaz -I've got no idea!

I don't know if its basically the same engine or not - I presume so

allye

Unsure on the exact spec of your 1360 but lumpy cams and a twin stage soles from a rally's or XS can be had quite cheaply, rebuild kits for those solex's still exist too. 106 tubular manifold can be modified to fit easily too. Getting on for 100bhp shouldn't be hugely out of reach. Once you start looking at twin carbs it gets pricey.

Gaz205

I had a very old... Wait for it... 205 XT. That pre dates the XS and was a 1360 twin carb set up, 80/85bhp I think. Well the cam shaft went south so had a single carb Citroen bx 1360 dropped in it.

We were down to 75bhp so a re fitment of the twin carbs and timing alteration had us back on the rr to the 80/85 again. I'm not technical but certainly I have experience of that mod certainly adding just over 10% power. It went like stink too! Was always somewhat slower than my mates AX GT. I thought they were the same engine.

Would you not consider changing the lump?

Telf

I trying to keep it all cheap and cheerful. I considered a GTI lump but then thought no keep it with carbs and no ECU etc. So maybe a twin carbon setup but Ive no idea what it needs or what would fit

calvinhorse

Best cheap tuning for 1360 tu is a good cam and exhaust manifold, you can use a saxo vtr cam pulley as they are about 1/3 of the weight, I always saw gains from the 1.1s straight through / single box exhaust.

Gaz205

Best cheap tuning for 1360 tu is a good cam and exhaust manifold, you can use a saxo vtr cam pulley as they are about 1/3 of the weight, I always saw gains from the 1.1s straight through / single box exhaust.

Sounds like these ppl know what they are on about and something you can prob do yourself?

Telf

Ok so a good cam and manifold- sounds good where do I start looking for them please?

Telf

I think it has a straight through exhaust. At least it only has a rear box fitted

Telf

Well having covered 20K since we made it road legal the GR is starting to show some signs of excessive abuse...

Its now at 186000miles and needs new top mounts, springs and anti roll bar bushes. Damn Peugeot and their crap cars!

Whilst its in bits I think new discs/pads and any other bits I find may be in order- in fact I might just replace everything and have a new fresh suspension and steering setup.

Here we go again- if only it could have lasted until the GTI made it back on the road.

Gaz205

Are you gonna fix it or ditch it? I'm sure you can beg steal and borrow parts off here to keep the old girl alive!