• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dean

To Cage Or Not To Cage

dean

Im in the middle of building a high boost 205 gti6 supercharger. But i just can not make up my mind on weather to have all the interior in or to have it stripped out with two buckets and a roll cage. the car will be used for the od track day but mostly just fast road use what would you guys do

bensonmi
Im in the middle of building a high boost 205 gti6 supercharger. But i just can not make up my mind on weather to have all the interior in or to have it stripped out with two buckets and a roll cage. the car will be used for the od track day but mostly just fast road use what would you guys do

cage it i say,it will help stiffen up the shell and with all that extra power it has to be a good thing. if you'v got a good condition interior im sure you could sell it to help fuind the cage and seats

MerlinGTI

I would keep the interior, with some black/dark grey buckets and get a half cage :D

Infact I will be at some point :)

dean

thats what i was thnking but can i still have interior if i have a cage. the cage i woud be getting would be a 10 point omp

bensonmi
thats what i was thnking but can i still have interior if i have a cage. the cage i woud be getting would be a 10 point omp

you can keep all the interior with a 6 point,not sure about a 10 point but i would think so

Rom

For mostly road use id stick with interior. Cages are a topic of debate.

Quite simply, there designed to be used with harnesses and helmets. No amount of padding is going to help if your head smashes into what is essentially a scaffold bar.

On the road, your not going to be pushing the car so hard you need the extra rigidity a cage offers.

Thats just my opinion. They look 'cool' certainly, but there not really something that should be fitted for looks.

Miles

50/50 really, only a full weld in cage will give you any real shell strength, the bolt in one's do very little bar protect you from a roll, I still say the OMP 10 point are still really 6 point as the 4 other points are just bolt's into the roof which allot of one's I;ce seen are not even fitted.

Personally on a track a cage is a must, it's that little bit of extra saftey.

hexhamstu
50/50 really, only a full weld in cage will give you any real shell strength, the bolt in one's do very little bar protect you from a roll, I still say the OMP 10 point are still really 6 point as the 4 other points are just bolt's into the roof which allot of one's I;ce seen are not even fitted.

what is the ball park figure of a full weld in cage?

stealth_pug
Quite simply, there designed to be used with harnesses and helmets. No amount of padding is going to help if your head smashes into what is essentially a scaffold bar.

On the road, your not going to be pushing the car so hard you need the extra rigidity a cage offers.

Not really...... rather bang my head on a rollcage than have my head squashed when the roof caves in! But as you said you houldn't be pushing it that hard on the road anyway

As for half cages I'd steer clear to be honest, in the event of a roll the roof is going to crumple around the half cage.... now think about where the cage is going to be in relation to your head and where thats going to leave your head when the roofs folded around the half cage!

Rom

Its swings and roundabouts really. I mean smacking your head isnt gonna be nice either way :(

Glass / roof etc might not hurt as much as there not as solid as a rollcage. Then again, as you said, you may just get your head crushed if the car gets squashed!

dean

i have bought a secound hand 10point omp but it does not have the plate that need welding into the car when can i get these from

stealth_pug

try giving GPR at silverstone a call as they sell the cages so will probably know where to get them or stock them themelves.

Miles

Just make them up yourself as they only need a couple of bends at worst,

Weld in cage done properly with removing the roof or dropping the cage thru the floor isn;t cheap, I know other's just weld the cage in without doing this but at the roof you will never weld all around the tube

AdamP

OMP cage certainly stiffed up my 205! You can really see the difference when jacking it.

Mines bolted in at all 10 points.

Edited by AdamP

Guest leejd

i got my 10 point bolt in cage from peter lloyed £335 great cage and came with everything needed to fit it in apart from the bolts, i had it fitted by bob dowen rally services for £150 few things to note on theses is the main hoop bolts to the old front seat belt mounts at the top so you will need harnesses, ive just put all my interior back in and found cos of the front bar across the windscreen you can not fit the sunvisors back on or the interior light also on my car the door bars foul the window handles abit, as my car is for road rallying and enduros it makes no odds to me, hope ive helped if you would like me to post a pic to show you the fitment let me know

dean

hi leejd what you have said is a great help. if you could post some pics that would be great thanks dean

Sign in to follow this