• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Oakley

Exhaust Tips

Oakley

Its a bit of a silly question.. But im looking to get an exhaust tip to smarten up the back end abit before i can afford a new back box..

My question is, Ive noticed that the end pipe on the original backbox has a bend in it and faces slightly downwards as normal..

Do i have to get any specific tip to fit this? as most i have seen are for straight end pipes... :D

Cheers.

Tom Fenton

My honest advice would be do not bother. Because of the shape of the pipe as you mention, you cannot hide the clamp etc and it makes it totally obvious that it is just a cheap shiny add-on, which looks a bit silly. Spend your money on something more worthwhile is my advice.

Oakley

Hmm yeah, was thinking that.. Well the back box as it stands sticks out like a sore thumb

PICT0799copy.jpg

Going to spray it with Matt black VHT for the time being

Cheers.

Doof

Buy 12 beers instead?

Oakley

If this is what you mean.. I did it to one of my bikes when the end can gave up!!

l_ec98b0021fc32d44321f71ec753f7801.jpg

Last Legend

Have a go with some wire wool and or a wire brush,that will make it look better,faliing that mask it up a spary it with silver hi temp paint.

dirtdog

A GTi rear valance will help cover up the actual box if that's what your worried about. They are bigger than the bumpers you have.

For the time being though, as other people have said....spray it. You'll probably need to replace the 'box in a couple of months anyway (mine wasn't very pretty)

vicious-monkey87

my mate had a similar issue with his 306 HDi! the backbox looked rubbish and when a tip was fitted it sat at a funny angle!

the trick is to get a hacksaw and cut the end of the tip off so its not so curved! then the tip fits straight!

Jrod

:)

rallye48dj5.jpg

Oakley

Thats the look i was aiming for ^^ ;)

Think i will try Vicious-monkeys idea and just put a tip straight on until the backbox gives up the ghost :)

Cheers guys.

DM88PUG

just had to stick this up :)

post-12777-1229343104_thumb.jpg

GLPoomobile

I beg you not to stick a tip on it! No matter what you do, you are only going to end up looking like a MacDonalds pikey who thinks that Ripspeed is the be all and end all of car tuning.

Do you need a new back box because it's on its last legs, or just because it looks a bit tatty? And are you going to replace it with a standard item or a 'sports' back box? Please tell me it's not the latter.

I'm trying to be diplomatic here, but you have to accept that the car is what it is. It's not a GTI and it's not a modern hatch. It's a budget 80's hatchback. Keep it honest. Don't try and improve how it looks with silly modifications, as the end result is that it will just look ridiculous. Tidy it up and keep it mechanically sound and use it for what it was built for - economy A to B transport.

Edited by GLPoomobile

McDude

What GLP said!

From your pic your car looks like it has a totally normal exhaust, nothing says "I'm a c0ck" like a shopping car with a bad-boy exhaust poking out the back.

Oakley

Cheers guys.. I wasnt planning on looking like a c0ck in it :) just wanted to tidy it up abit, giving that standard/sublte mods look..

bumperlightswindow.jpg

Thats what i have whipped up on photoshop with the black back bumper, tinted lights and light smoke on the window

What do you think?

GLPoomobile

Black trim is always better than faded grey, but a big NO to tinted lights and windows.

I probably sound like a snob, but there's a fine line between tasteful and pikey.

miamichris

I'd just buy a gti instead, they already look cool without having to do anything, except fix it when it breaks down! :(

Oakley
I'd just buy a gti instead, they already look cool without having to do anything, except fix it when it breaks down! :)

I would get raped by the insurance if i went and bought a GTI :ph34r: as a first car anyway :)

The black bumpers are a must anyway IMO so going to order some 'forever black' soon and see how that comes up :)

vicious-monkey87

i both agree and disagree with the posts in this thread.

i agree with GLP that there is definately a thin line between tasteful and pikey. however i think that a subtle, clean exhaust tip would look good provided that the bumpers etc are all immaculate too. DON'T BUY A RIPSPEED TIP! i cannot stress that enough :ph34r:

the one my mate used was a plain stainless steel tip that cost about a fiver and just looked like a polished OEM tip!

the smoked lights are a bad idea, partly because it doesn't really suit the car and also because its next to impossible to get a perfect finish, ie- when the lights are on they will appear cloudy.

i'm undecided about the tint, i don't think it would suit the car but you would probably get away with a very light tint which would make the car look a bit more modern and tidy but maintain subtlety.

at the end of the day though, its your car so do whatever makes you happy :)

vicious-monkey87

oh and personally i wouldn't bother with "forever black"

get a few tins of halfords black bumper paint and spray em up! make sure you prep the surfaces properly with prep-wipes and use a heatgun after you spray so as to achieve a slightly smoother OEM finish!

i just did mine and they came out great, see the link in my sig for pics! :ph34r:

Jrod

Just to add, mines not a tip, its a whole box that has a standard sized exit.

vicious-monkey87

we'll let you off this time :ph34r:

Jrod

Let me off or don't its sat in my garage now as my 205 has been scrapped! :ph34r:

vicious-monkey87

ah fair enough lol

i like that capri tho, i've always loved capris!

Sign in to follow this