• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Alan_M

Tu3Jp Engines - Differences?

Alan_M

Anybody know the differences between a TU1.4 KFX and KFW? Or even later 1.4s to keep my options open.

The 1.4 beastly lump in my 306 is coming to an end I feel, 139k and doesn't sound happy. I've replace a fair few parts on this car and for the sake of £50-£100 for another engine, I could keep it running for another year. It even has a TU gearbox with no crunches...

The engine is a KFX alloy 1.4 with multipoint. I'd like to check that a later KFW engine is basically the same, and I could swap the management side (manifolds, coil pack and sensors) over minimising any buggering about. I know the oil filter is different (cartridge type).

RossD

As far as I can determine, the only difference is the emissions rating for the engines. KFX = L3 (Euro2?) and KFY = L4 (Euro3?) I suspect the later one has the close coupled cat converter in the manifold and the twin lambdas, with different ECU's and associated sensors etc.

Edit: They even have different length timing belts.... One has 104 teeth and another 108 teeth. So I suspect there are actual "hardware" differences between them, and not just ECU/Sensor differences.

Edited by RossD

Alan_M

Thanks Ross.

Do you think the bare block and head is the same though? That's all I need.

welshpug

KFW I think has equal spaced intake ports not paired, also a roller rocker.