• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Hilgie

6 Spd Box On Tu Engine

Hilgie

I was thinking of using the BE4 bellhousing from a 307 1.6-16V (TU engine with BE box) and mate that to the 306GTi6 box.

Has anyone done this succesfully ?

Sandy

You need to check the alignment of the bearing bores, because it seems the casings are lined bored as a set; so bearing problems could ensue with a mismatch.

But given the shorter length of the TU engine, you could run unequal length shafts and shift the engine across to overcome the lock problems of the BE3/6. Unlikely to create any noticable torque steer with the lower torque outputs.

Rippthrough

Might be an idea to check out the 6 speed unit fitted to the new BMW/PSA powerplant and see if that's a better base to start from too?

Edited by Rippthrough

Hilgie

Sure, but that's neither a TU nor XU engine.

Rippthrough
Sure, but that's neither a TU nor XU engine.

Nope, but the block shares some TU similarities, you never know, I'm waiting till a few turn up in the local scrapyard and going investigating.

Guest leegt

my mate works for bmw in oxford doing alot of the testing and i'm trying to get some pictures of under the bonnet to see if that engine is a good transplant, apparently its dog slow!!! well in the mini anyway

Hilgie

120 bhp in NA form

150 bhp in low boost turbo

170 bhp in medium boost turbo

200 bhp in high boost turbo

Rippthrough
120 bhp in NA form

150 bhp in low boost turbo

170 bhp in medium boost turbo

200 bhp in high boost turbo

And max torque at 1600rpm upwards in the turbo, it'll be an interesting one to watch...

First thing I though t on reading about the 6 speed box was my socket set and a tape measure....

Edited by Rippthrough

christopher
I was thinking of using the BE4 bellhousing from a 307 1.6-16V (TU engine with BE box) and mate that to the 306GTi6 box.

Has anyone done this succesfully ?

Hilgi this is very interesting.

I didn't realise that that 307 is using a BE box. Is this a straight swop for those of us running older TU engines? Is there one with comparable gear ratios to say a 106 Rallye or a 205 XS?/Rallye.

Hilgie

I even got a pic from a 106GTi with a 307 BE box on:

10617.jpg

As far as ratios is concerned, you could try a 307 1.4 gearbox which is really short.

Sandy

The gear ratios are pretty crap though and not fully interchangeable with BE3 sadly. The clutch on that one pictured is cable, but RHD ones are hydralic.

Sam

Use the 206 bracket to convert it - I got one in the garage from when I was going to do it! :)

Hilgie

Correct. Same way we did it on the 205 with the EW engine. Clutch lever replaced with a 206GTi one (pre 2000 model).

Sam

I can't take credit for that, you told me about it! ;)

Sign in to follow this