Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[Car_Upgrade] 1.9 Gti Rust Repairs And Bodywork

311 replies to this topic

johniban

johniban
  • Drivers
  • 1,092 posts
  • Name:John
Garage View Garage
So i have been given this 205 by my dad, hes had it for over 2 years as hes always wanted one.
we've never done anything to it apart from mot it,
its been neglected and after a few minor problems he decided to give it to me to fix up and sell it on as the price of these seem to be creeping up and up.
This is what i gave him to replace his beloved 205, i swapped this for and old saxo i had, and my dad seems to love it.

Posted Image

I decided as it is my dads i don't want to sell it on, i want to strip it down clean it up properly and keep it.

I have done a bit of research to try to find out what parts are not original to the year and what parts are original.
as the price of the cars seem to be creeping up the parts for them are also creeping up in price!
a second hand coin tray for the dash £45 on ebay! crazy!

Im sticking with the original engine, just going to freshen it up and rebuild it, unsure weather to go with the original injection set up or put twin 45 carbs on it.
what do you think?

The only picture i have of it on the road

Posted Image

I've not looked into weather i can still get parts from peugeot, My day job is a Citroen tech and used to work for Peugeot, but never worked on anything this old to be fair so its a learning curve for me.

My garage space witch i rent out is not the biggest in the world so ill be starting with restoring the back end and then the front as i dont have the room to completely strip the shell of parts

johniban

johniban
  • Drivers
  • 1,092 posts
Garage View Garage
This is it a week ago, just got it in the garage

Posted Image

Anyone recognize it?

Posted Image

johniban

johniban
  • Drivers
  • 1,092 posts
Garage View Garage
Posted Image

Posted Image

as you can see the body work needs a respray and the bonnet isn't correct for the car!

The wheels on the car i am very unsure off if they are the correct colour? i know they are the right wheels for the car but they have been refurbed dark grey sort of colour with a polished lip.

johniban

johniban
  • Drivers
  • 1,092 posts
Garage View Garage
So at the weekend i decide to pull my finger out and get down the lock up.
After the down poor we had i got a bit worried it was going to be flooded.

nearly...

Posted Image

Got it jacked up on the rear to start the stripping process

Posted Image

Haven't got much room to play with!

Posted Image

Strip the rear interior out, can't belive the amount of dust in there after a week.
Haven't got the space to store the bits a take off so on the roof they go.

Posted Image

I do need to think about making some shelving and racking higher up in the garage to maximize storage space

johniban

johniban
  • Drivers
  • 1,092 posts
Garage View Garage
I know how everyone loves a pic of their garage so ill get some pics up once ive sorted soe space out.

johniban

johniban
  • Drivers
  • 1,092 posts
Garage View Garage
back seats out

Posted Image

The start of the rust
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

then i found a hole, a bigg hole!

Posted Image

johniban

johniban
  • Drivers
  • 1,092 posts
Garage View Garage
Next was check the rear sills.
Nearside sill is perfectly solid, but the offside sill infront of the rear wheel is rotten!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I will chop all this rotten rusty metal out and weld in some fresh steel :)
Im by far the best welder out there but this will be a good learning curve for me and something to be proud off.

johniban

johniban
  • Drivers
  • 1,092 posts
Garage View Garage
Posted Image

a small hole under the seats i think is caused by a wood screw someone has used to hold up a brake hose?

and one last pic of the hole in the boot

Posted Image

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,760 posts
All of that is repairable, do not listen to the doom and gloom merchants on here who would have you re-shelling it. Best advice I can give you is to take your time when cutting out and preparing your repair sections. Do a good job of this and the actual welding part will be easier and not take long. You will spend a lot longer properly preparing the repair than it will take you to weld it.

The hole under the rear seat is pretty much a standard feature on many 205's- look underneath and you will see there is another panel that joins on and traps muck/water right in that spot and hence rots it out.

johniban

johniban
  • Drivers
  • 1,092 posts
Garage View Garage

All of that is repairable, do not listen to the doom and gloom merchants on here who would have you re-shelling it. Best advice I can give you is to take your time when cutting out and preparing your repair sections. Do a good job of this and the actual welding part will be easier and not take long. You will spend a lot longer properly preparing the repair than it will take you to weld it.

The hole under the rear seat is pretty much a standard feature on many 205's- look underneath and you will see there is another panel that joins on and traps muck/water right in that spot and hence rots it out.

Thank you for your comments :)
I will be taking my time mostly to the fact i can only attack the job on a weekend basis so will be slow progress.
I hoped it would only be the outer sill that was rotten but there is not much left of the inner sill so i will have to be doing some working out and possible copying the other side

johniban

johniban
  • Drivers
  • 1,092 posts
Garage View Garage
So im struggling with room at the moment in my garage, as the parts i'm taking off i have nowhere to put, so im trying my best.
I need to buy a better jack as the one i got is rubbish! and some bigger axle stands.
What do people normally use to hold the shell as high as they can to work on it?

johniban

johniban
  • Drivers
  • 1,092 posts
Garage View Garage
Saturday afternoon i managed to get my arse down the garage and do some work, had a stand around and scratch my head moment for a while trying to figure out how to get the rear end in the air to get the rear beam off, the nearside had an axle stand under the sill but the off side sill is none existent, so i had to jack up the rear again and place a couple of wheels and tyres under the drivers floor pan.

Posted Image

Got the back box off and dropped the center exhaust section,
Undone the beam and it just wouldnt budge it was wedged against the fuel tank, so after some leavering i managed to drop it down.
have nowhere to put it at the moment so will have to leave it under there for now.

johniban

johniban
  • Drivers
  • 1,092 posts
Garage View Garage
Posted Image

johniban

johniban
  • Drivers
  • 1,092 posts
Garage View Garage
here i am with the axle off
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

looks rough under there, im in two minds weather to cut the rear floor out and put a large sheet of fresh steel in there but i would loose the shape and patten or the original item

johniban

johniban
  • Drivers
  • 1,092 posts
Garage View Garage
Then i have a go at dropping the fuel tank.
These two jubilee clips are seized solid, dont really want to start cutting them as its a fuel tank, i did think about using an air cut off tool to wizz through them,

Posted Image

johniban

johniban
  • Drivers
  • 1,092 posts
Garage View Garage
So then i try to attach the filler neck and drop the lot down together!
Undone the two 20 torx holding the neck to the body but it doesnt move? am i missing something here?

Posted Image

johniban

johniban
  • Drivers
  • 1,092 posts
Garage View Garage
Not sure yet weather to ditch the original tank and go for a nice shiny ally tank in the boot

pugdamo

pugdamo
  • Drivers+
  • 1,015 posts
  • Name:Damian
Garage View Garage
You could cut through them with a decent set of side cutters

Just been reading through,keep up the good work and don't get defeated by anything.

johniban

johniban
  • Drivers
  • 1,092 posts
Garage View Garage

You could cut through them with a decent set of side cutters

Just been reading through,keep up the good work and don't get defeated by anything.

Thanks im getting defeated by the filler neck at the moment it just wont budge

jamie_1992

jamie_1992
  • Drivers+
  • 535 posts
  • Name:Jamie
Garage View Garage
looking good
i hope to see another 205 local to me on the road next summer

Reply to this topic