Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Where To Buy Good Quality Rubber Fuel Hose?!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

cRaig

cRaig
  • Pitcrew+
  • 1,472 posts
  • Name:Craig
Garage View Garage
Some of the fuel hose on my 205 is starting to perish already! It's basically an annual service item..! Is there a supplier of decent quality stuff? I vaguely remember a recent thread where it was mentioned, but can't find it now.

Cheers,

Craig

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,026 posts
  • Name:Mei
not found any yet, but not needed to look since fitting teflon lined braided hoses.

farmer

farmer
  • Drivers+
  • 1,821 posts
  • Name:Farmer
Garage View Garage

I have some of the deale stuff

Lasted longer than that

Got about 8 metres or so left

Simes

Simes
  • Team Managers
  • 5,941 posts
  • Name:Simon
Garage View Garage

not found any yet, but not needed to look since fitting teflon lined braided hoses.

Which is what I fitted 4.5 years ago. One section failed 5 weeks ago.

Leslie green

Leslie green
  • Drivers
  • 123 posts
  • Name:Leslie

Does anybody know if you can convert the injector rail nut type fitting to an 8mm barb ? I want to get rid of the silly 7mm line that's impossible to find between the filter and injector rail and  fit 8mm injection hose which is a standard size , I fitted 5.6mm stuff which was a good tight fit as 8mm rubber hose  just slipped on and off again . I know you can get 8mm barbs for the filter itself .

Robin205

Robin205
  • Drivers
  • 40 posts
  • Name:Robin
Demon tweeks are good for fuel hose. To be fair the stuff you can get from Halfords, ECP and Motor factors are good enough as they are all fuel rated.

petert

petert
  • Pitcrew
  • 5,583 posts
  • Name:Peter Taylor
Same here. Fuel hose quality has taken a nose dive. Lucky to get 12 months life. Recently changed to E85 compatible hose and it seems to be lasting a lot better.

Tom Fenton

Tom Fenton
  • Team Managers
  • 9,761 posts
I use the original Peugeot stuff whenever possible. Yes it's 25-30yr old but I've never had any issue with it.

farmer

farmer
  • Drivers+
  • 1,821 posts
  • Name:Farmer
Garage View Garage
The hose reel is still avalaible

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,026 posts

To be fair the stuff you can get from Halfords, ECP and Motor factors are good enough as they are all fuel rated.

nope, it doesn't last much more than 2-3 years at the most.

wicked

wicked
  • Drivers+
  • 611 posts
Garage View Garage
I dont think the hoses got worse, the fuel changed over the years. I have to replace mine as well and looked for hose that is also alcohol resistant. Not every hose is resistant to that..

jackherer

jackherer
  • Team Managers
  • 11,220 posts

Something has definitely changed with the hoses, the fuel may have also changed but as Tom says above 25-30 year old original hoses are generally in better condition than 2-3 year old modern hoses.

dobboy

dobboy
  • Drivers+
  • 2,600 posts
  • Name:Jack
Garage View Garage
This is an interesting article.

I fitted R9 stuff to mine, it's cracking at the bends after 3 years. Might see if I see the manufacturer stamped on it and drop them a complaint 😀

http://www.volksbolt...aq/fuelhose.htm

Robin205

Robin205
  • Drivers
  • 40 posts
  • Name:Robin
Just had a thought, at work the engine test cells get their fuel hose from a local hose supplier called hydramatics, worth looking for your local hose supplier as most sell to the public.

wicked

wicked
  • Drivers+
  • 611 posts
Garage View Garage

Something has definitely changed with the hoses, the fuel may have also changed but as Tom says above 25-30 year old original hoses are generally in better condition than 2-3 year old modern hoses.

I don't think OEM's use the same stuff as the Gates hose you buy from the local shop.

I found that the Gates fuel hose from the local shop is only SAE J30 R7, which is not resistant to the ethanol mixed in nowadays fuel.

petert

petert
  • Pitcrew
  • 5,583 posts
  • Name:Peter Taylor

I think SAE 30R10 hose is what you need.

Anthony

Anthony
  • Team Managers
  • 18,746 posts
Garage View Garage
Isn't at least some of the original high pressure fuel hose lined as standard? That'll help no end if so as it'll stop the ethanol permeating the rubber.

I agree though that something has changed with modern rubber components in general, as everything seems to perish and split in no time at all - it just seems to be most obvious and worrisome in fuel hose.

I've just replaced the perished fuel hose on a friends 205 with Cohline 2240 - time will tell how it lasts, but certainly reviews I could find reckon that it's considerably better and longer lasting than the usual Chinese made junk on eBay that claims to be J9 rated. Cohline 2240 is low permeability and rated for ethanol and biofuel use, so fingers crossed it'll do the job.

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,026 posts

not so much lined but its a plastic hose with a rubber sleeve from the hard line up to the filter, very much like the stuff used on commercial vehicles for the air brakes, and most cars from mid 90's onwards roughly.

wicked

wicked
  • Drivers+
  • 611 posts
Garage View Garage

I think SAE 30R10 hose is what you need.

Gates has this new Barricade Greenshield hose, compliant to  SAE 30R14

I think I'll order a piece of that.

Barricade™ Fuel Injection Hose (MPI) Low-permeation, premium hose for use on all fuel systems, including fuel injection (MPI). Approved for use with gasoline, diesel, bio-diesel including soybean methyl ester (SME), rapeseed methyl ester (RME), palm methyl ester (PME) per ASTM D6751, E-85, methanol, ethanol, ethanol extended gasoline, and gasohol fuels. Patented 5-layer Greenshield™ barrier technology keeps fuel out of the environment while delivering peak fuel efficiency. • Exceeds SAE J30R14T3 (except for kink resistance) as well as low-permeation requirements for CARB • Aramid reinforcement spiral braid for superior burst strength • Thermoplastic barrier layer • Oil, heat, ozone and abrasion resistant cover • 225 psi working pressure rating • Recommended for any fuel injection applications for superior service life NOTE: Do not submerse in gasoline. Temperature: -40° F to 275° F (-40° C to 135° C) continuous, up to 302°F (150°C) intermittent

Anthony

Anthony
  • Team Managers
  • 18,746 posts
Garage View Garage
I looked at that, but really struggled to find it for vaguely sensible money here in the UK - it's pretty reasonably priced in the US and certainly looks ideal.