• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

cRaig

Where To Buy Good Quality Rubber Fuel Hose?!

cRaig

Some of the fuel hose on my 205 is starting to perish already! It's basically an annual service item..! Is there a supplier of decent quality stuff? I vaguely remember a recent thread where it was mentioned, but can't find it now.

Cheers,

Craig

welshpug

not found any yet, but not needed to look since fitting teflon lined braided hoses.

farmer

I have some of the deale stuff

Lasted longer than that

Got about 8 metres or so left

Simes

not found any yet, but not needed to look since fitting teflon lined braided hoses.

Which is what I fitted 4.5 years ago. One section failed 5 weeks ago.

Leslie green

Does anybody know if you can convert the injector rail nut type fitting to an 8mm barb ? I want to get rid of the silly 7mm line that's impossible to find between the filter and injector rail and fit 8mm injection hose which is a standard size , I fitted 5.6mm stuff which was a good tight fit as 8mm rubber hose just slipped on and off again . I know you can get 8mm barbs for the filter itself .

Robin205

Demon tweeks are good for fuel hose. To be fair the stuff you can get from Halfords, ECP and Motor factors are good enough as they are all fuel rated.

petert

Same here. Fuel hose quality has taken a nose dive. Lucky to get 12 months life. Recently changed to E85 compatible hose and it seems to be lasting a lot better.

Tom Fenton

I use the original Peugeot stuff whenever possible. Yes it's 25-30yr old but I've never had any issue with it.

farmer

The hose reel is still avalaible

welshpug

To be fair the stuff you can get from Halfords, ECP and Motor factors are good enough as they are all fuel rated.

nope, it doesn't last much more than 2-3 years at the most.

wicked

I dont think the hoses got worse, the fuel changed over the years. I have to replace mine as well and looked for hose that is also alcohol resistant. Not every hose is resistant to that..

jackherer

Something has definitely changed with the hoses, the fuel may have also changed but as Tom says above 25-30 year old original hoses are generally in better condition than 2-3 year old modern hoses.

dobboy

This is an interesting article.

I fitted R9 stuff to mine, it's cracking at the bends after 3 years. Might see if I see the manufacturer stamped on it and drop them a complaint ????

http://www.volksbolts.com/faq/fuelhose.htm

Robin205

Just had a thought, at work the engine test cells get their fuel hose from a local hose supplier called hydramatics, worth looking for your local hose supplier as most sell to the public.

wicked

Something has definitely changed with the hoses, the fuel may have also changed but as Tom says above 25-30 year old original hoses are generally in better condition than 2-3 year old modern hoses.

I don't think OEM's use the same stuff as the Gates hose you buy from the local shop.

I found that the Gates fuel hose from the local shop is only SAE J30 R7, which is not resistant to the ethanol mixed in nowadays fuel.

petert

I think SAE 30R10 hose is what you need.

Anthony

Isn't at least some of the original high pressure fuel hose lined as standard? That'll help no end if so as it'll stop the ethanol permeating the rubber.

I agree though that something has changed with modern rubber components in general, as everything seems to perish and split in no time at all - it just seems to be most obvious and worrisome in fuel hose.

I've just replaced the perished fuel hose on a friends 205 with Cohline 2240 - time will tell how it lasts, but certainly reviews I could find reckon that it's considerably better and longer lasting than the usual Chinese made junk on eBay that claims to be J9 rated. Cohline 2240 is low permeability and rated for ethanol and biofuel use, so fingers crossed it'll do the job.

welshpug

not so much lined but its a plastic hose with a rubber sleeve from the hard line up to the filter, very much like the stuff used on commercial vehicles for the air brakes, and most cars from mid 90's onwards roughly.

wicked

I think SAE 30R10 hose is what you need.

Gates has this new Barricade Greenshield hose, compliant to SAE 30R14

I think I'll order a piece of that.

Barricade™ Fuel Injection Hose (MPI) Low-permeation, premium hose for use on all fuel systems, including fuel injection (MPI). Approved for use with gasoline, diesel, bio-diesel including soybean methyl ester (SME), rapeseed methyl ester (RME), palm methyl ester (PME) per ASTM D6751, E-85, methanol, ethanol, ethanol extended gasoline, and gasohol fuels. Patented 5-layer Greenshield™ barrier technology keeps fuel out of the environment while delivering peak fuel efficiency. • Exceeds SAE J30R14T3 (except for kink resistance) as well as low-permeation requirements for CARB • Aramid reinforcement spiral braid for superior burst strength • Thermoplastic barrier layer • Oil, heat, ozone and abrasion resistant cover • 225 psi working pressure rating • Recommended for any fuel injection applications for superior service life NOTE: Do not submerse in gasoline. Temperature: -40° F to 275° F (-40° C to 135° C) continuous, up to 302°F (150°C) intermittent

Anthony

I looked at that, but really struggled to find it for vaguely sensible money here in the UK - it's pretty reasonably priced in the US and certainly looks ideal.

dobboy
On 7/16/2017 at 6:12 PM, dobboy said:

This is an interesting article.

I fitted R9 stuff to mine, it's cracking at the bends after 3 years. Might see if I see the manufacturer stamped on it and drop them a complaint ????

http://www.volksbolts.com/faq/fuelhose.htm

I tried firing the old girl up the other day, and fortunately it didn't start..... looked under the bonnet and there was fuel pi55in out the side wall of a pipe.

Can anyone remember/confirm if it's 7.5mm i/d for the feed and 6.5mmi/d for the return for GTI-6 fuel rail?

Edited by dobboy
question added

dobboy

10mm and 8mm......... I wasn't far away! :lol: