• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Nathan

Battery Negative Leads

Nathan

I'm re-fitting all the electrics to my car after swappping the engine (1.6 straight swap), however I'm abit stuck on the battery negative leads, I've got one which goes to the top of the suspension strut, one to an small ally plate below this and one to a stud on the gear box. However there's a much longer lead bout foot and a half and I can't work out where this goes or if I still need it. My old alternator had a B+ and B- termianal (plus a smaller wire with a spade on it), but the alt on the new engine doesn't seem to have anything for a negative.

Can anyone shed any light on this please.

Richie-Van-GTi

sounds like new alt grounds through the body so just ditch the extra wire, or bolt it onto another part of the engine as an extra earthing point.

Guest amg301
sounds like new alt grounds through the body so just ditch the extra wire, or bolt it onto another part of the engine as an extra earthing point.

If its quite a thick wire attach it to the block somewhere probably. Sounds like its a good earth for the starter motor that will earth though the block.

Alastairh

Sounds like an extra wire to me.

http://ben.loaded.net/gallery/view_photo.p...d=10072006151_G

You can briefly see the setup on my brothers 205.

green and yellow to the chassis, grey along with the other 1/2 earth connecters from the main loom to the gear box mount.

i would check the starter wires in that case, just in case they've been played with before in there life.

Alastair

Sign in to follow this