• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Tom Fenton

Favourite Tools

hoodygoodwood

The 'dummy damper' I won off Ebay some time back has paid for itself .

My 30 inch breaker bar has saved the day on numerous occasions - can't tyre shops turn the torque down on their air guns ?

My brake pipe flaring tool is priceless , not as fancy as the one shown earlier but not a crap £10 one either .

1 FAT PUG

bluepoint rachet spanners, mint for them pain in the ass places

allye

Easy out extractor things that have been mentioned, must have for underside!

Flexible jubilee drivers, so useful.

3/8 cordless gun, saves so much time and wrists, taking a sump off made easy.

Air line and decent compressor - not a tool but still!

Good trolley jack.

Almost forgot, those fat spanners for brake unions and bleed nipples.

dobboy

i think this is a great idea for getting a car up quick

b4hwye.jpg

dobboy

This is a tool i bought for the guys at work to take up milage on awkward long bolts/nuts etc.

They use them regularly

It's a ratchet from a socket set (without the bar) that you operate by hand, obviously you have to give them a final nip.

53mm1j.jpg

Simes

15108936017_60eba2125f_z.jpg

Aside from many things already mentioned - SGS Aluminium low entry racing jack

johniban

I have one of these i got from ebay, much much quicker and easier to use then the s*it £300 snap on one at work

johnnyboy666

I recently bought an exhaust cutter. It's literally as easy to cut an exhaust as opening a can of beans with a can opener. Much neater than a grinder or hacksaw too

• Like 1

unariciflocos

Everything takes 5 times less since I bought these two:

http://www.hazet.de/produktkatalog/product_info.php?cPath=4_4700_4700640&products_id=896146963

http://www.bosch-professional.com/gb/en/gsr-10-8-2-li-23272-ocs-p/

The small 10.8V fits in lots of places, really packs a punch and with 45 minutes charge time and 2 batteries you never really run out of juice.

SkyQuake

Combi Ratchet Spanners, definitely.

I cannot even begin to emphasise how good these are!

Tom Fenton

New favourite tool alert!

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless-impact-driverswrenches-drivers--wrenches-dc823b.aspx

Bought myself this a couple of weeks ago, its a 3/8 cordless impact gun, it uses the same batteries as my other tools so I only needed to buy the "bare" tool.

Its mega, compared to my big gun its tiny and lightweight, but still packs some grunt, it can undo wheel bolts when I tried it.

allye

Yep! I use one of those all the time, cuts job times in half.

Also use a mini 3/8 drive air gun, that's cool and beefy.

Tom Fenton

New favourite gadget alert!

This!

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=161607460187

I was in the market for a jump starter, read some good reviews of this so decided to try one.

Well it's nothing short of amazing. My green 205 has been in storage since September last year. Stupidly I forgot to disconnect the battery so when I went to it last week it was totally utterly flat.

I had the jump starter with me so thought here's a good test for it.

Started the car straight up. And I mean straight away. No laboured cranking then just about fire, it span over at normal speed and then caught on. Really amazing. It's about the size of two large bars of Cadburys chocolate stacked on one another.

wicked

This is a tool i bought for the guys at work to take up milage on awkward long bolts/nuts etc.

They use them regularly

It's a ratchet from a socket set (without the bar) that you operate by hand, obviously you have to give them a final nip.

53mm1j.jpg

Where did you get these? Always wanted these without knowing the existed....

Edit: Found them; look on ebay for Silverline 380552

Now I use these on tight places:

040210676.jpg​

Size 7 is favourite on hose clamps....

Edited by wicked

GLPoomobile

New favourite gadget alert!This!http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=161607460187I was in the market for a jump starter, read some good reviews of this so decided to try one.Well it's nothing short of amazing. My green 205 has been in storage since September last year. Stupidly I forgot to disconnect the battery so when I went to it last week it was totally utterly flat.I had the jump starter with me so thought here's a good test for it.Started the car straight up. And I mean straight away. No laboured cranking then just about fire, it span over at normal speed and then caught on. Really amazing. It's about the size of two large bars of Cadburys chocolate stacked on one another.

Sounds bloody handy. My work mate could have done with this as between his car and his bike he's had to borrow my charger more times than I think I've used it myself!

Any idea how long that thing will retain useful charge? Could you carry it in the boot for emergencies confident that 6 months after charging it it will still be able to jump a car?

jackherer

Lithium ion batteries self discharge at a rate of about 1-5% a month compared to about 1-2% a *day* for nicad/nimh batteries so it should still have a healthy charge after six months.

lagonda

All these tools are a bit techy!

For me....huge Stilson wrench.....nothing argues with that.

Also I have a 1950s car maintenance book that states regarding tyre levers, that "gone is the need for the 18" persuaders of the past". Well, managed to buy a vintage 18" set at an autojumble years ago, and they're the business for getting tyres off..and on. Also handy for (Glpoo's "car guy" bit comes in here!) separating frozen chicken legs.

GLPoomobile

/\ Yes! I like it! Frozen chicken prep like a boss!

Malc

Not a car tool, but hired an impact screw gun a few years back, I was laying ply before tiling a floor and needed about 5 million trillion screws put into it, the screws came in long plastic lengths that fed into the tool like a machine gun, fired in a screw in 10000ths of a second. Most fun I'd had in a long time (ok I lead a sad life) would recommend this to anyone looking to blow off steam!!

huxley309

Without a doubt my impact gun, power borders on plain daft and i love it.

16920170680_093662d464_c.jpg

Simes

Just bought a wired Clarke impact gun.

Got the hub nut off (46mm socket) my Honda after the calliper parted company.

I think it is my new favourite tool!

dynacord

https://www.kmstools.com/lisle-mini-flexible-telescopic-magnetic-pick-up-tool-15373 everybody has used this in their lives, be honest :)

I just do maintenance on my own cars, but I found a good jack and impact wrench gun really useful.

Can somebody recommend good spring compressors? I need these for Honda springs, they are smaller diamater than most peugeot's, and mines just won't fit to squeeze them enough.

aldworth33

My compressor, only cost 250 and comes in handy all the time. Suppose the good quality air tools I'v bought over the years contributes especially this bluepoint micro die grinder with snapon carbide bits I got last year, came in handy that many times a couple of other Lads at my old work bought them after I left and it's not cheap lol