Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Sheared Bolt On Bonnet Hinge - How To

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

welshpug

welshpug
  • Pitcrew+
  • 30,027 posts
  • Name:Mei
They're m6.

scottbarton

scottbarton
  • Drivers+
  • 234 posts
  • Name:Scott
Garage View Garage
Yep... I used an m6 riv nut, so m6.

matty205xs

matty205xs
  • Drivers
  • 142 posts
  • Name:Matthew
Garage View Garage

hi, hope u don't mind me asking, but iv got the same problem with my hinges except both rear screws have sheared off on both sides. today I started drilling out the drivers side one and that's done, all that's needing doing now is the threading of the hole, but the passenger side one is obstructed by what seems to be a black box with a pipe attached to it, what is this? and also how would I put it back on as one of the screw sheared off in the hole when trying to take it off and the other one iv left so that black box is still held on although I have my suspicions that that one will also snap. would I need to drill out these screws as well and rethread them?

thanks matt. 

surferkid205

surferkid205
  • Drivers
  • 785 posts
  • Name:danny
Garage View Garage
Just on with doing mine, I've bought some other hinges, and the top hat has a spring washer behind that then goes into the hinge. X2 set of hinges I've got when the top hat is removed from the hinge, (bah they are right, seize solid)off has the spring washer behind them. But in the picture is doesn't show this, but instead goes behind the bolt?

surferkid205

surferkid205
  • Drivers
  • 785 posts
  • Name:danny
Garage View Garage
Just to add, just done as above and the top hat with the spring washer behind is nice and springy.

Dizzee stuff

Dizzee stuff
  • Drivers
  • 339 posts
Garage View Garage

Nice write up, only thing I would add (and the way I usually do it) is to drill to 5mm then tap a new M6 thread in place.

This is the way I would choose to do the job, we have no end of problems at work with rivnuts spinning in the holes preventing the bolt from being undone.