Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Rust On The Rear Quarters, Solutions?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

JamPug

JamPug
  • Drivers
  • 83 posts
  • Name:James
Ok so my 205 has these couple little bubbles in the paint in the middle of the rear wheel arch on the passenger side. I had a look on the inside cavity (behind the rear light cluster) and it's much worse on the inside, not gone through anywhere but it's peeling the seam sealer up a bit.

So my question is how do I tackle it and what is causing it ? The rear light cluster may have been letting water in or is it the sunroof drain that runs through there ?
Do I need to spray some wax stuff in there or is there a better solution.
Thanks

flyfisher

flyfisher
  • Drivers
  • 287 posts
Garage View Garage
Only way you will stop it for good is cut out and plate with new metal or cut off weld in new panel if you can get one. There are no ways to cure problem for good top to ways are the only sure ways to cure this

JamPug

JamPug
  • Drivers
  • 83 posts
I appreciate that, at some in the future it will have to be done but there's got to be a way I could sustain it a bit longer ? I sure it would take years still before it got through anywhere.

Anthony

Anthony
  • Team Managers
  • 18,745 posts
Garage View Garage
A picture paints a thousand words.

If it's bad immediately behind the tail light, then that sounds like the usual issue of the rear bumper mount rotting out - Skyquake on here sells a good quality repair panel for this.

That won't sort out the wheel arch though as that's a separate panel. How to repair will depend on how bad it is once you start investigating properly - it's always worse than it appears at a glance though!

Gaz205

Gaz205
  • Drivers
  • 335 posts
  • Name:Gareth
My drivers side went, had it all cut out and new welded in. He said it wasn't a major pain, but we were respraying the whole car so it was part n parcel.
Whatever you do to try and prevent it will make it look worse that it does already

Leslie green

Leslie green
  • Drivers
  • 123 posts
  • Name:Leslie

The bumper side mounts are usually rotten, they seem to be the first place most cars go but the panels can be bought cheap enough and welded in if needed and shouldn't do too much paint damage as its mostly behind the bumper , get some pics up .

JamPug

JamPug
  • Drivers
  • 83 posts
https://gyazo.com/40...51421912439dbb7
https://gyazo.com/30...3354b7a119af947
https://gyazo.com/c4...121ce97c9643041

Try my best to get some pics, hopefully people can make it out they are take behind the rear light cluster

Thoughts are much appreciated

Edited by JamPug, 20 August 2017 - 01:47 PM.

Gaz205

Gaz205
  • Drivers
  • 335 posts
I had similar on mine on both sides. One side was cut out and fresh metal put in, the other was salvageable with good rub down and treatment. Out of interest does your boot floor get wet? I think that rust is caused by the sealant between the skins failing. To be honest I would leave it until you are ready for the whole side of the car to be painted. Just repairing that panel won't look right .

JamPug

JamPug
  • Drivers
  • 83 posts
Yes it did/does but that was just the middle of the floor which I just put down to the holes I used to have in the floor.

Might just see if I can get in there are and rub it down and treat it then waxoyl it. That might make it last a bit longer

Gaz205

Gaz205
  • Drivers
  • 335 posts
Once it's bitten it'll never let go, check the carpets on the inside of the wheel arches in the boot. Make sure once you've treated it you reseal between each skin and if you've a sunroof check the drain holes aren't blocked, corroded or the tube isn't leaking as that could be allowing the water inside the bodywork. If it's only got as bad as that in years and years then it ain't gonna get loads worse anytime soon

Leslie green

Leslie green
  • Drivers
  • 123 posts
  • Name:Leslie

Doesn't look that bad but you probably don't want to go poking it either as it could go though then you have work to do to fix it .