Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Polishing/waxing Guide

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Andy_C

Andy_C
  • Drivers
  • 1,254 posts
Apply Super Resin THIN using a foam pad and it won't stain or dust up.

Extra Gloss is simply a pure sealant - no cleaners, no abrasives at all. Ultra Deep is a separate product - not used it but not heard *great* things about it - particularly iro removing it after use.

Richie

Richie
  • Drivers
  • 2,141 posts
On my miami the ultra deep AG product made the paint look "too" deep. As mines a lighter shade being LTD edition i wanted to keep it light. Dont know why i tried it really :P I tried the extra gloss yesterday and it seemed to make it a little glossier on top of my NXT waxed bodywork, and easy to apply and remove.

Edited by Richie, 29 October 2005 - 01:49 PM.

Enfield

Enfield
  • Drivers
  • 222 posts
Anyone got any good websites that sell all those products?

Andy_C

Andy_C
  • Drivers
  • 1,254 posts
www.detailingworld.co.uk

Best place to start matey!

d-9

d-9
  • Veterans
  • 2,364 posts
Like ashlee said, are there any remedys for cracked laquer apart from respraying?

My 106 has got really crappy paint on the roof and bonnet, all the laquer is crazed.

Andy_C

Andy_C
  • Drivers
  • 1,254 posts
If the laquer's cracked then resparying is the only remedy I'm afraid mate. I thought it might be fixable before seeing an example in the metal and I really doubt anyone could do anything with it :)

smckeown

smckeown
  • Banned
  • 4,710 posts
what would you recommend to apply after a fresh respray, i just want to protect it and make it shine

timmsy19

timmsy19
  • Drivers
  • 1,055 posts
  • Name:Graham
i would say some very fine polish and wax nothing to harsh till it gets a bit older. im no pro at paint but thats what i would imagine to be the way to go

Paintguy

Paintguy
  • Veterans+
  • 2,248 posts
  • Name:Andy Taylor
Sean: I went on Andys recommendation, and used Poorboys EX-P sealant. I haven't polished it again since I first did it (september iirc), but it still comes up great with just a wash and leather off.

Andy_C

Andy_C
  • Drivers
  • 1,254 posts

what would you recommend to apply after a fresh respray, i just want to protect it and make it shine

Always check with the painter first as to how long you should wait before putting anything on the paint (I'm sure Paintguy can confirm or deny that) as some say wait 30 days.

If you simply want protection then good old Autoglym Super Resin's hard to fault IMHO - but it does contain mild cleaners/abrasives so again check with painter. There's shedloads of other products as Paintguy says but on a white car Autogylm, or Meguiars NXT wax are hard to beat (all available from Halfords and the Meguiars can be had from Clean & Shiny with a 10% discount :) )

HTH - will she be at The South Meet BTW?

smckeown

smckeown
  • Banned
  • 4,710 posts
just ordered a load of stuff, cheers for the guide

So can someone confirm why a normal polish is good at removing stratches when i'm normally using colour specific t-cut. just want to know why & how a non-colour specific polish will do the job

Paintguy

Paintguy
  • Veterans+
  • 2,248 posts
  • Name:Andy Taylor
Most polishes have a slight cutting action, which actually removes fine scratches.

Most polishes also contain chalk, to help them dry. This can be left behind in scratches, making them appear white and stand out more. All these colour polishes etc just use a coloured chalk which also stays behind in the scratches, thus making them less noticeable, rather than actually removing them.

To add to what Andy said above (I've only just noticed it) it's better to wait 30 days or so for the paint to fully cure, and all the solvents escape. I assumed this was for your track car, which was painted much more than 30 days ago, so I didn't add this caveat. :P

smckeown

smckeown
  • Banned
  • 4,710 posts
ah thats what i was eventually coming round to thinking..so thanks

it's actually for my black CTR that i'm getting ready to sell :P

On the Clean and Shiny i've added this to my basket and just about to order...you guys think it wil ldo the trick ?

Posted Image

Not many products from the guide are on that site :D And i'm combining advice from the CTR owners club etc.

I'll use the wax from here on my white 205

Andy_C

Andy_C
  • Drivers
  • 1,254 posts
That'll work fine mate ;)

C&S can get most of the gear mentioned in the guide - the site's being revamped shortly!

As regards normal polishes - what Paintguy said! Nowt "wrong" with colour keyed polishes - buying more bespoke/expensive stuff is a slippery slope - trust me!

smckeown

smckeown
  • Banned
  • 4,710 posts
cheers.

i'm looking for a discount code the C&S site, thought i had one from the Civic Type R forum, but it's not working. I have emailed them to see what they say

Rom

Rom
  • Drivers
  • 998 posts
This guide rocks !
Just wondering, after i polished then waxed. When do i next need to do stuff. I mean i wash it most w/e. Will i have to repolish/wax to get the shine ? Or will it still be there from last time ?

Andy_C

Andy_C
  • Drivers
  • 1,254 posts
Depends on what wax you use matey. A synthetic wax/sealant will last for weeks and regular washing with a decent shampoo will keep it looking shiny. There's a few spray waxes available which enable you to wax the car in 10 minutes - not as long lasting as a synthetic but will keep the bling topped up.

smckeown

smckeown
  • Banned
  • 4,710 posts
yeah i ordered the NTX texh wax to act as a wax and sealant. I got 10% from the C&S using a discount code they supplied. Got a PM this morning from the type-r forum with a guy who can offer 25% discount over 50 ordered...bugger!

Alastairh

Alastairh
  • Pitcrew
  • 5,897 posts
  • Name:Alastair
On a slight different subject. What tyre dressing would suggest?

Rom

Rom
  • Drivers
  • 998 posts
I just used a Turtle Wax paste stuff i had in the shed :) I was gonna use Auto Glym Extra Gloss but ran out of time