• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

johniban

[Car_Upgrade] 1.9 Gti Rust Repairs And Bodywork

NFS

Come on mate, looking forward to seeing another miami restored in the same workshop/DIY situation as im in :)

johniban

It will be sorted hopefully sooner than later, if i can stop myself from bidding on series 2 land rovers that is!

johniban

So im near enough all moved into the new unit, both cars are in, the other guy i share with rarely comes down, hes only got to replace the engine, doesn't bother me tho.

null_zps4ec55d3b.jpg

johniban

So saturday i had a couple spare hours to get on, not having yet moved the tool box in i struggled using random tools but managed to get some stuff done, got the front bumper off, it was corroded on had to use a lever bar and a hammer!!

Got the inlet manifold and exhaust manifold off and most of the front end

null_zps4a5a3372.jpg

null_zps628683bd.jpg

null_zpsa1d6becb.jpg

haven't got an engine crane yet and everything is coming off from the shell anyway so i have un done the front strut tops, and started to loosen the subframe bolts

johniban

as i still hadn't managed to get hold of an engine crane i used my head, with a bit of steel bar and a strop i wrapped it around the engine and tied a simple knot on the front cross memember, and lowered the engine slowly to the floor, was suprising easy even on my own! just kept slowly loosening the knot.

null_zps3746065f.jpg

null_zps2ad38f36.jpg

managed to snap a bolt in the subframe not sure how im going to get this out, its the last bolt holding the subrame on, possiblt have to buy some drill bits and drill it out

null_zps0bf7236d.jpg

johniban

Then this little gem popped up on gumtree, advertised for £80 with a creeping ram

Found out it was just round the corner and managed to get it for £50

Its a make ive not heard of but its a 2 ton and i think mosts of them are the same anyway

null_zpsb2e87ec6.jpg

null_zps178284f3.jpg

ive already got the ram of and stripped it down, cant see any rear problems with it, going to try find out if i can get a seal kit for it

johniban

got my self a decent welding helmet from weldquip, its an swp, seems to be good so far, much nicer than the crap one i got from ebay ages ago that gave me sunburn around my eyes! not good.

null_zps22ebfe85.jpg

Then made this...

null_zps5c427808.jpg

For the body to sit on so i can safely repair the underside and work at a comfortable hieght around the car,

ill be adding castors to it at a later date and tie down fixings for when i need to move the shell to a body shop

johniban

got the body on the table last night

null_zpsc6435660.jpg

then done a little bit of work on this

null_zps33484c04.jpg

johniban

Over the weekend i managed to repair the drivers footwell rust at the rear,

doesnt look anything pretty but its nice and strong at there is no rust witch is good, i do need to work on my metal shaping skills tho!

null_zps1b104e37.jpg

I didnt want to smooth any welds down as i didnt see the point i wanted it to stay strong.

null_zpsbc76089a.jpg

johniban

Then i cleaned up the offside chassis leg, ground down all the rust, i will use filler at some stage to get it nice and smooth

null_zpsf6854a9b.jpg

johniban

Then i set about trying to rebuild to offside sill, its pretty hard considering there wasnt anything there as it had completely rotted away! so trying to copy the other side,

i stopped after a while as i think i need to get some thicker steel. i think the steel im using is thoo thin for sills

null_zps06271ac3.jpg

null_zps3fb91626.jpg

null_zpsda2d7685.jpg

johniban

last night i managed to start on the front end, removing parts that were in the way or wont be used any more like the brake lines and fuel lines and brackets, gave the old paint a clean up as i want to try and keep most of it, and managed to remove a snapped bolt for the subframe with an angle grinder

null_zpsafa34b52.jpg

null_zps8885cf74.jpg

I then set about wire brushing (with angle grinder attachment, all loose rusty paint, im quite happy to remove the surface rust and keep the surface as it is, i dont see the point in chopping out the pitted areas as they are strong still, so i etch primered and stone chipped

null_zps3986b07f.jpg

null_zps3986b07f.jpg

johniban

last night i got on with what i was dreading, the off side rear sill, purchased a repair panel and cut from it what i needed it was only the cover sill,

i then had to guess and make up panels for the inner sill as it had all rotted away,

made all panels from 1mm steel so nice and strong, forgot to take pics at that point, but i welded it all up sorayed some etch primer and prepared to fit the cover sill.

johniban

Rubbish picture, the light in the garage isnt up to much, i have to hold a torch in one hand while im welding so i can see where im pointing the gun!

null_zpsa6d1d69c.jpg

Got the cover tacked on, i just need to sand down the edges and smooth it into the old sill, and then i can build up the inner arch next to the sill

johniban

Then got bored at work and made myself a new number plate for the daily, probly a tad illigal but weel see

null_zps484211b5.jpg

johniban

all rust repaired and fillerd before paint

IMG_1702_zpsf42ca73b.jpg

johniban

strengthened the rusty tow eye with 2mm plate

IMG_1699_zps805af82d.jpg

then started on the underside, used the crane to pull it on its side

IMG_1704_zps1ed846e8.jpg

IMG_1705_zps28ee5a4b.jpg

IMG_1707_zps1aacf801.jpg

IMG_1708_zpsae41225a.jpg

johniban

Lots of room in the garage now :)

IMG_1709_zpsabab46d0.jpg

tried to copy the other side as much as i could but as there wasnt any metal here to copy from i just tried my best

IMG_1714_zps09c96641.jpg

IMG_1711_zpse34d3d6e.jpg

johniban

havnt got any more pics of the rest of the inner sill rebuild but i sealed the seams and stone chipped the whole underside

then sanded and stone chipped the outer sill

IMG_1715_zps182ebaba.jpg

IMG_1713_zpsad606a6c.jpg

refitted fuel tank

IMG_1740_zpsab2023c0.jpg

repaired sub frame and fitted

IMG_1741_zpsad895b7c.jpg

IMG_1742_zps2aa2a1e9.jpg

rear axle back on for now and got it back the right way up

IMG_1744_zpsa1a37130.jpg

johniban

IMG_1745_zps5f49c869.jpg

painting the wings

IMG_1762_zps60e729e5.jpg

sadly i only used rattle cans as ive not got the compressor going again recently

IMG_1763_zps39ed67a4.jpg

IMG_1767_zps05c5190e.jpg

IMG_1768_zpsfc1b0f1c.jpg

IMG_1769_zps523d7b8a.jpg

IMG_1785_zps0cae4cb8.jpg

IMG_1770_zps4eecda63.jpg

front panel back on

IMG_1771_zps5f141c6a.jpg

looking at the under dash wiring.. what is this for? IMG_1772_zps475d8ea2.jpg

johniban

Removing the 1.9 engine loom from the car

IMG_1778_zps154c61fd.jpg

Picked up this local to me, an uknown millage xasara vts engine,

johniban

New engine bay stickers

IMG_1842_zps0649c1dc.jpg

IMG_1841_zps057b3bb1.jpg

Now as im going to be using carbs... i know everyone will say use throttle bodies, but as i dont have stupidly loads of money to keep getting the car mapped, and i like old schoolnes of carbs

i got myself a dizzy conversion kit witch replaced the vacuum pump.

IMG_1837_zps1b9c35a6.jpg

ditch all of this!

IMG_1838_zps7d4f608d.jpg

johniban

im going to be putting the battery in the boot, not for weight distribution ect but just to clean up the bay a bit, as the old mount is bulky and looks crap i made my own.

IMG_1860_zps9267df18.jpg

fitting ignition module and wiring up

IMG_1861_zps200ad3a6.jpg

couple of pics i missed earlier

IMG_1747_zps87f5a163.jpg

IMG_1765_zps18937d7e.jpg

IMG_1766_zpsf73caa2d.jpg

welshpug

you only need one mapping session, whereas with carbs they need maintenance and servicing, and you never get as much power or torque or a good powerband.

not to mention fuel usage.

you don't have to get your 106 mapped very few months do you? so why should you with a throttlebody setup on your 205?