• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest tc/pug

Fiting Electric Windows

Guest tc/pug

hi

i have the motors and switches . do i need anything eles to get them working

othere than wire . and how do i get the motors / winding mechanism in the doors

thanks dave

d-9

You need the door pods to hold the switches, they clip into the front of the door bins.

Its pretty easy to fit them, best thing to do is fit the loom in place and test it, so you can still close your windows if u cant get the electrics to work.

Getting the wireing loom is a mission, it is bundled with the main loom, so to get it out you have to rip the dash out, then undo all the tape thats holding the loom together, then pull the electric windows section out. Fitting it is easier, just wrap the bit you pulled out with electrical tape to tidy it up, push the center section through the dash and plug it into the fuse box, plug the appropriate plug into the earth socket on the steering column.

Next pull the drivers door card off, pull the rubber tube out of the door and shell, and thread the drivers door loom into it and plug it into the center section of the loom. Plug in the EW relay and fuse in the fuse box, then plug on both switches and the motor, one of the switches should power the motor up and down, if it doesnt then figure out what is wrong and fix it, you need to be able to power the motor to fit it. Once you can move the motor, wind it down all the way.

Now wind the window down all the way and undo the 2 nuts on the guide and the 3 on the winder mech. Pop the guide into the door and unslide it from the bottom of the arm. Now with a bit of wiggling and playing with the winder, you should be able to seperate the window from the arms that lift it. Pull the window to the top of the frame and tape it up, so you can work inside the door.

Extract the winder mech, and fit the motor, doing the nuts up on it. As haynes puts it "Refitting is the reverse of the removal", just kinda play with the window and the motor until you have the arms in the runners on the bottom of the window, now line it up with the channels inside the door and hook on the guide rail and tighten that up.

Fingers crossed, itll work.

The hardest part is getting the wiring through the rubber tubes for the doors, fitting the motor sounds complicated, but is fairly simple and when youve got the hang of it takes about 10 minutes.

Guest tc/pug

thanks d9

so do i need a loom out of a scraper or can i make my own ? if i can what would i need to do it ?

benje

When I did mine I made my own loom up using the wiring diagrams out of the Haynes manual. If I remember correctly, theres a relay in the fusebox, which provides the +12V for the windows which is switched from the ignition.

This 12V goes to the drivers side, along with an earth wire from the nearest earthing point. That provide power for the drivers side. Then from the drivers switch runs two or three wires over to the passengers side door. One power and the other two I think are for control.

No need to take the dash out really, unless you want to do it *properly*

Cheers

Ben

Sign in to follow this