• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

allye

205 Sport Van - Supercharged Gti6

Malc

Impressed with this build, very stealthy. I do like the intercooler position,

allye

Cheers.

I was expecting a internet backlash with the IC but running it and seeing the inlet temps will be the proof in the pudding! I would have been able to front mount it i hadn't used the huge double core radiator, they really are deeper than you think.

Keep changing direction slightly and now going for base model valances and steel wheels!

wicked

Bit of a alternative intercooler location, radiator is a shortened double core item which has enabled me to move it over and under the drivers headlight so allow air flow. I will be using a inlet air temperature guage so I will be able to see the temps.

My opinion is that the slightly restrictefd air flow will be will be outweighed by not being rammed right up close to a 90c radiator. Also means I can run the base model valances for a while!

I tend to disagree with you; I would prefer the IC to be in front of the radiator.

You want the intercooler to cool the air to ambient temp ballpark and you want the radiator to cool the coolant to < 80 degrees or so.

If you heat the air that is supposed to cool you IC first with the radiator, it will probably not reach the lowest possible inlet temperature.

So the one that needs to be the coolest, needs to get the air first.

But that's theory; given the area constraint that you have, it will still work ok.

I have my IC in front of my radiator and an ambient + IAT temperature readout on my dash and can tell you that it is no issue at all to put them tight to each other while driving. You just need a little airflow and the IC will be cool. In traffic jam you will soak heat, but that is also due to the hot manifold heating up the slow moving air. Once you start driving the IAT drops fast.

An other option could be to put the IC on top of the radiator and the oil coolers behind the radiator/IC? Just a suggestion; in the end it's your project...

The only criticism I have is that the engine should end up in a proper gti shell, not in a van.... -_- *don't get the stealty, sleeper thing..*

allye

I'm sure I'd get as many people moaning I'm hacking up a GTI shell if I would choose that route. Some people just don't get the Q car thing, the rest of us don't need to willy wave!

With regards to manifold temp, I've read the air is not in the manifold any where near long enough for that to have any real effect on IAT so perhaps your radiator is heating your IC stationary.

wicked

My IAT sensor is in the throttle body, near the valve (TCT) and during idle it is closed and the air is routed via the IAC valve, so the air in the throttle body is not moving -> heated by the hot body.

So during that, the IAT does not say anythink about the temperature of the IC or air coming from it.

Keep up the good work..

camgti

Whats the hold up!

Hope all is well. Just excited!

• Like 1

welshpug

suicidal deer!

• Like 1

allye

In between deers destroying the front of the daily A3 and working, progress has slowed!

Safe to say it won't be a pugfest. Got a little update I'll do shortly, nothing to exciting though.

camgti

Ah fair enough. Hope the A3 works out.

Looking forward to the progress none the less. Keep it up

allye

As mentioned above a deer decided take the front off the A3, so that took up two of my valuable days off! Also been helping a friend get his 90 on the road. Galvernised everything, heated windscreen/mirrors, disco 300tdi and axels, etc etc etc, it's one of the very earliest ones, first year of the 90 I think.

80EB2212-39B0-4C6E-9DB2-37019D5F2328_zps

Any way, 205.got some nice hose clamps to use instead of jubilees.

3D89E8BB-01B7-43E8-BB65-C634B3D1D378_zps

Changed my seats to some 405 ones with material and more bolster instead of the leather.

CFF89F5D-3193-4147-9E58-27544091627B_zps

Finished all the welding from the torn hand brake mounts and seat rails.

BEB36C0C-901B-478A-9153-13889308EB1F_zps

Mounted my PAS reservoir. Not seen another rotrex 205 with PAS?

C628E46C-897F-41B1-A7A1-DAFB47DDDA55_zps

Sorted the leak I described in the other thread.

A1A56A66-8FAA-4CA0-A595-1D98FCC92370_zps

Dropped the heater box off and started the sound proofing on the fire wall.

8B9FFAB2-84A9-418A-8123-AD9210921361_zps

Removed the matrix to find what looks like a fairly new Valeo unit, bonus, also took the motor apart cleaned and greased.

18014070-5662-4713-A799-92F1F3C65D90_zps

3C1070A5-C8BE-4D97-B994-7D01B402765F_zps

allye

Got my oil coolers mounted, 4 littlest brackets off the head light panel and scuttle on 4 bobbins, hopefully no cracks.

A69D6D4E-5E96-4B53-85FB-35117BD3B6F2_zps

64ECB3B4-95D2-4849-9020-198B96D9FEB2_zps

And finally cleaned the floor up of any surface rust and primed, doubt I'll be painting it.

617D2203-DCA1-4CBF-BEB2-EC351E1F980E_zps

Edited by allye

allye

Pictures of said Audi, got off pretty lightly for 60mph to be fair.

ED7F20DD-C4DA-4E4F-810B-0F003F651E8F_zps

1E87E292-B760-46FF-8F71-AF8A0F643058_zps

BC0EFE23-7079-48A4-A96F-2CEEC5FA3B0E_zps

Anthony

Ha! The front end on the Audi seemingly looks straighter now than it did before you argued with the deer :lol:

allye

Funny you should mention it as its had a previous incounter with a badger before my girl friends ownership, so the radiator was a bit bodged in there, now with a new radiate and all new I damaged front panel it's mounted correctly for the first time.

Also the valance is riveted either end so it mounted correctly.

allye

Alrighty, busy summer over, back on the van. I'd half got the wiring squared away just needed the 205 side of the brown multi plug needed (not something the diesel ever had) They are all mated up now and spent hours getting rid of wires and putting in loads of new wire on the earths. I've also gone through the entire and use a contact cleaner and little files for cleaning connectors.

863555AB-9778-40BF-8FA8-8D2294F7250C_zps
8267A7C7-36D8-4E67-8725-7A4F44069F18_zps

Exhaust, another big job ticked off. Please note this is 2' maniflow and only temporary until a 2.5 is found or made! Standard GTI6 down pipe and a nice maniflow 205 system made from mild steel. It came with huge canon which was removed and replace with a downswept tail pipe, discreet is the key.

60AD7163-2A23-428D-BA8C-D883B4393816_zps
3B7F98E1-3439-4C46-B2CE-DBA2A6F8CB3F_zps
F218AFCE-1A84-4155-A7E3-7EED5A0AA354_zps

After fannying around modifying the front end that needed a quick tart up.

FA53E4DA-11AF-44EE-9FAE-B8FD894D4EE7_zps

Smoke tested the intercooler, its actually a forge item which is a billy bonus.

586DB3A5-7A4D-407E-B75C-2447521E5580_zps

Finally ordered up the fitting and hydraulic hose for the oil cooler.

59BBEE35-8086-4A6B-9B51-A89E6E9A1D6B_zps

and how its looking now, picking up slam panel and inlet manifold from powder coaters next week, supercharger oil ordered, turning key next week!!!

EC4FE2AA-B323-4F15-984F-83CB9F5228A0_zps

Edited by allye
  • Like 1

j_turnell

Coming along. I'm at a similar stage, should hopefully be getting my Rad tomorrow. Bloody traction oil isn't cheap is it!?

allye

No, no it's bloody not! I'm in contact with santolube, the company who supply it, failing that I've got a comoany that can analyse it for £55 and finally get a answer to what it actually is, every thread I've read from the USA goes to a dead end in this area!

j_turnell

Good work. It certainly would be nice to find a cheaper alternative!

Anthony

It came with huge canon which was removed and replace with a downswept tail pipe, discreet is the key.

Excellent work, I like that :D

(well, I like the whole project, but it's little details like that which maintain the sleeper aspect that I like most)

allye

Thank you! It was odd as the actually outlet from the back box was about 2 1/4', and tailpipe was about 3'! So plenty of room to down size.

j_turnell

I've just been doing a bit of reading about the charger oil temperature. Operating temp is between 40deg min and 80deg max. I'm thinking of putting an inline temperature gauge in to monitor it. Having just mocked my front end up yet again, I didn't take into account the bloody number plate, which covers most of my oil cooler! I'm sure this will be fine in the winter, but a bit concerned about temps in the summer!

allye

That's a interesting idea, not seen it before but can you get simple in line temp sensors?

welshpug

most fuel injected engines have them.

camgti

Whats happening there dude!

You on the beaches in NZ again?