• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Wallby

[Misc_Work] Peugeot 205 Rallye, Engine Done...now Suspension!

Wallby

The arches are bonded on with tiger seal or something similar.

The rear beam is set to around 320mm bewtween the damper centres and matches quite nicely with the front. Not sure how this relates to ride height, but the front is on eibach lowering springs (approx 30mm). I usually run 185/55/14 tyres, any taller sidewall and rubbing may become an issue.

Krash67

Great Blog and car, keep it going, your definitely helping me out in  my quest.

On the point of Camber, this is key, learnt that from pushing +3deg at the front on the MK3 clio's. So for Pug's its a GTI subframe, 309 wishbones & shafts. What camber are you getting with this? 

Wallby
31 minutes ago, Krash67 said:

Great Blog and car, keep it going, your definitely helping me out in  my quest.

On the point of Camber, this is key, learnt that from pushing +3deg at the front on the MK3 clio's. So for Pug's its a GTI subframe, 309 wishbones & shafts. What camber are you getting with this? 

Thanks!

I think it's -1deg camber, which is enough for a car that still gets used on the road quite a lot. For any more than that you would need adjustable bottom arms and adjustable top mounts, but they only work with the smaller diameter of coilovers, something which I may do in the future!

Is yours the red xs? I'm surprised you were disappointed with the drive as it's not too different to mine. Not the fastest but so much fun!

Krash67
23 minutes ago, Wallby said:

Thanks!

I think it's -1deg camber, which is enough for a car that still gets used on the road quite a lot. For any more than that you would need adjustable bottom arms and adjustable top mounts, but they only work with the smaller diameter of coilovers, something which I may do in the future!

Is yours the red xs? I'm surprised you were disappointed with the drive as it's not too different to mine. Not the fastest but so much fun!

Yep, Well It didn't help for the short drive in the dark and rain. I havent had much time to take it out again, I don't think it had been taken out for a while so it could of done with a good throat clearing drive. As well I drive a  335d xdrive as my daily!

But I have realised that these have a better grin factor and such will get used to it.

Wallby

Took the car out around Pembrey a few weeks ago for a long overdue trackday. Lots of nice cars there including a ph1 309 gti!

The car performed great all day and pretty much wore out the outside edge on a set of A048's, even more camber may be needed. Must have had fun as I booked another day at Castle Combe as soon as I got home!

28378584498_f92c5da3d1_z.jpgEN9I3795 (1) by Opentrack Track Days, on Flickr

27381310127_ffa313eb2e_z.jpgEN9I4037 by Opentrack Track Days, on Flickr

28378550558_a99b8fb534_z.jpgEN9I3146 by Opentrack Track Days, on Flickr

trogboy

Nice.  Missing the O/S grille in the valance though - lost or intentionally removed?

Wallby
16 minutes ago, trogboy said:

Nice.  Missing the O/S grille in the valance though - lost or intentionally removed?

Good spot! Intentionally removed invade of losing it! Knocked it loose on an apex cone which was knocked across the track! Ordered some new clips to sort it 

• Like 1

Wallby

You wait ages for a trackday and then 2 come along at once! Castle Combe this time and another brilliant day. Another 2 205's and a 309 there this time so was good to have a chat with them about the cars.

One thing I have noticed while looking through the photos is that I am lifting the front inside wheel off the ground on the last corner. Im not sure if this is down to any bumps there or just the way the car is setup. Any ideas if it is worth making changes to sort this/what difference will it make? The car feels quite balanced.

27712126597_38334626d0_z.jpgEN9I1184 by Opentrack Track Days, on Flickr

The photographer was also well placed when I had a little spin at the end of the day!

41679148965_a4e900f06a_z.jpgEN9I2283 by Opentrack Track Days, on Flickr

And another of my favourites from the day.

41857793944_6cefa0290b_z.jpgEN9I9884 by Opentrack Track Days, on Flickr

Tom Fenton

In the nicest possible way, if you are continuing to do trackdays, and pushing quite hard by the looks, invest in a roll cage.

Suspension wise, I'd say you are at the limit of what you've got fitted to the car. The way forward is probably along the lines of coilovers, 275/300lb springs, 22/23mm rear torsion bars, bigger rear anti roll bar etc. All of which starts to get expensive, AND, makes the car increasingly unpleasant on the road.

So, you need to decide what you want from it really, and if you want to plough a lot of money into the job. Or just enjoy it as it is.

As an easy step you could try a bigger rear anti roll bar, 24mm bar from a 306 GTI6 can be modified to fit the 205 beam.

welshpug

what rear suspension setuo do you have again?

Wallby

Tom - I think your right. I have been staying away from the idea of a track focused setup of stiff suspension/rollcage due to enjoying driving it on the road, but that is becoming less frequent and I'm just getting more frustrated by the current setup on track. I've been toying with the idea of selling it for a while, this could then fund an out and out track car, but I'm affraid of regretting that decision! I don't think I could put a cage and coilovers on this car as its probably woth more as a road car. There could be a for sale sign on it at Pugfest!

Mei - Standard 1600 gti beam with Bilstein challenge dampers.

Tom Fenton
On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:54 AM, Wallby said:

Tom - I think your right.

I'm always right :D

But being serious, I've been there and done it, a car that works properly on track is s*ite on the road and vice versa, it just depends how much you can put up with either way. Personally it annoys the life out of me on a track when I have to drive around the shortcomings of the car, be it brakes or suspension or fuel surge or whatever.

welshpug

I'd go bigger rear roll bar or torsion bars, cage will help tie it all in together too but take it away from a road car

Wallby

Not updated this thread in a long time, but not much has really changed with it in the last 2 years. Have been using it alot and just enjoying it on the road, plan for this winter is to go over the underside of the car and sort a bit of rust out on the inner wing area.

Following on from the discussions above, I was undecided whether to spend some cash on this car to make it more track focused, or to sell up and get something else. A month or 2 later and a 205 gti track car 'project' turned up on ebay for a very reasonable amount of money - about the same as what I would have been spending on the Rallye to make it quicker!

I somehow convinced the wife that this was a good idea, and that once I had decided if I wanted an out and out track car or more road biased, that I could sell one. I ended up winning the auction and took a detour on the way home from Peppa Pig world with the family to check it out. A quick look around the car in the dark cconfirmed that it was a good base but needed a lot of tidying.

Anyway, 2 years later and I still have the 2! I have confirmed the suggestions above, that an out and out track car is brilliant on track, but rubbish on the road! Really glad that I didn't mess about with the Rallye, as it is so much fun, and plenty quick enough for the road. Looks like they will both be staying!

2123787158_IMG_20200712_1837322_compress25.thumb.jpg.1eb1a797a30de2eef9b0e22d9c408344.jpg

IMG_20200712_140517_MP_compress8.thumb.jpg.49fa0f1210605e5ff39e630442dd33d4.jpg

IMG_20200905_141404_compress37.thumb.jpg.2e139ad20dae5d0b497a0fe9c8ded4a3.jpg

• Like 1

welshpug

wise move, I think a rallye with very select mods is as basic and pure as a 205 needs to be on the road :D

Philpooma

Sounds just like me with the Mrs.
Buy additional things (cars or bikes) with agreement that one will get sold..........and then don’t  sell the other :rolleyes:.

I have managed to accumulate lots of automotive things over the years with this strategy.

well done 

Pleased that you have kept the Rallye, especially now that you have become my unintended mentor :huh:.

Keep up the updates 

Wallby

Update time!

This car has been slightly forgotten about recently, with all my spare time spent with the black 205, but with that car now sorned for the winter, I'm putting some effort into the Rallye over the next few months to get it back on the road for the spring/summer.

Originally, the plan was to take the car off the road to get some inner wing rust sorted - which is now in progress, but when jacking the car up on the rear jacking point, the sill caved in due to being full of rust! So I'm now taking the opportunity to get the whole underside sorted, as well as the bay cleaned up, to make it a really clean car and keep it for nice weather days /shows.

Photos below show the progress so far, engine is out, inner wing cut out ready for the repair section to be welded in. Rear bumper is also off, tank coming out next so I can see the full extent of the rust on the rear sill.

PXL_20211120_145831945_compress98.thumb.jpg.cad6f4dfc95b3ea10f0a93d84937cbab.jpg

PXL_20211128_114325570.MP_compress18.thumb.jpg.0a8e7537bebe514a71124f7ee9ac6d0b.jpg

PXL_20211128_114241508_compress18.thumb.jpg.ad9650d0254382c3aef65bc5e2b20520.jpg

• Like 1

Gohn

reallye great thread

very good car, none over here, so its a legend only

good to see you kept it a roadie, its the compromises that make it such a cool car

the trackwork really tests what works , and pushes your knowledge way up another level over plodders like me

away rust !

Wallby

Another long overdue update, and progress has been a lot slower than intended, but an update none the less!

With the rust in the engine bay sorted, the car was transported over to the bodyshop to get the sill repaired, treat/paint the underside and get the engine bay painted.

Screenshot_20221110-131803_oIpjrF4i6s.thumb.jpeg.b2ff20f4eee6770acd96488de92719d4.jpeg Screenshot_20221110-131827_bu6Ax9Vb9W.thumb.jpeg.490c530718fe47de0d2e51111e6eeebf.jpeg

The car was at the bodyshop for a lot longer than intended - but they did a really good job. Things went a bit further and they suggested getting the boot floor sandblasted - to make sure any rust was found and to give it the best chance of nothing coming back anytime soon. This highlighted a few little holes, but nothing major.

Once getting the car back, it soon became obvious that anything dirty going back on would stand out a mile, so that meant refurbing the struts, powder coating the subframe and generally tidying up anything that will be going back on!

Its back back rolling at the minute, with the next job cleaning up the loom, before fitting the brake lines and getting the engine back in. Hopefully get it back on the road spring time!

Screenshot_20221110-132219_RrW1VlOu9u.thumb.jpeg.54caf07da88ef816af398ffecfc35c24.jpegScreenshot_20221110-131837_z5On22OT1h.thumb.jpeg.2e7f53733bb9387a63cb583c792ff4dc.jpegScreenshot_20221110-131915_lQu5sHlW28.thumb.jpeg.6dc6ced772d8110af84c1474ccbd25c7.jpeg

• Like 1

Philpooma

Great to see progress, I need to get stuck in so that I can catch up with you 

Leslie green

Looking really tidy now great job  :D

Edited by Leslie green

Wallby

Update time! It's back on the road! A lot longer than planned and expected (although a house move did bring the finish line forward) but it's back and ready for some summer driving! A few niggles to sort, but I suppose these things are never 'finished'!

Over the moon with how it's turned out!

1131061168_Screenshot_20230712-1616502_GTmcz4ZT6T.thumb.jpeg.db88d10f4d14f240acd57a036658ef94.jpeg

417370279_Screenshot_20230712-1617012_m5PT7D7E5O.thumb.jpeg.cfa1c4d1e725d833837f00845859e3a4.jpeg

796181697_Screenshot_20230712-1617132_cyqHtu0H2v.jpeg.99427b894f34468bb9497d6d59112317.jpeg

• Like 1