• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Krish

[Misc_Work] 205 Gti 1989 Cherry Red (Orange)

Krish

Thought I'd start a thread following the work that I'm doing to my Phase 1.5 (as far as I can tell) Cherry Orange GTI :)

It's not much or amazing by any means especially compared to others on here, but thankfully not much needs doing to it seeming as though it is in good condition.

It's only covered 80,000ish miles and the paperwork suggests that it is genuine which is nice to know and my plans for it are to keep it standard and use it as a weekend car when I can get insured on it (I'm 19 :blush: )

My ultimate plan for it would be a respray but that won't happen until im much older and can justify the cost :ph34r:

Pics to follow...

bigalthenutter

you would be pleasantly surprised at insurance costs i passed my test at 20 and had an 1100 205 for my first car which cost me 3 grand! On my 2nd year i got a quote on the same car at around the 900 mark. Out of interest i got a quote on my 1.6 gti which i got quoted 800 ! After waiting a couple of weeks it went down to 650 ! ! Id like to see where you go with this one im restoring a phase 1.5 cherry gti.

Ramigojag

Ive found the 1.6's not too bad on insurance

Krish

Umm it's not so much of i can't afford it, its a case of how much it is for how often i'd drive it, and i'd rather put it on a limited classic policy when i'm 20/21

Krish
These are the first pictures i took of the car the day I got it, the alloys have just been refurbed so are in good nick but as you can see the colour isn't cherry red :L

8462883256_eba210e0a4.jpg

Edited by Krish
  • Like 1

bigalthenutter

looks tidy mate ! is paintwork lacquered or gloss finish ? if its gloss finish that will t cut up a dream.

Krish

Haa thanks, it's all original and i've only found one bit of rust so far :)

Errm it's an '89 so does that mean one or the other?

bigalthenutter

where is the rust ? Bet i could find more ;p if you t cut it and the rag goes red it will t cut some colour back into it as its coloured gloss finish , if it stays clean its base coat and laquer and will stay orange for all eternity ! ;p

Daviewonder

It's lacquered. You can tell by the fact that's it's turned orange but still has a nice shine.

Krish

The rust was inside the bonnet, underneath where the jack is located, and another patch under the battery, i hope not ;) as far as i know its been dry stored most of its life :)

Ahh ok, haa a nice shine will have to do then :P

Krish
Got it into the garage and had a look at what jobs needed doing...
8681919996_fe194bb25b.jpg
8681924842_f9455f06e2.jpg

Krish

Update,
Haven't spent as much time as i'd like to on the pug due to other commitments but have slowly been plodding along!

New filter

9026083589_7753db9755.jpg
This is where the wind deflector had been siting
9028302362_2d9556fcda.jpg
9026463393_1c70d01ab8.jpg
looks like its had a different exhaust at some point?
9026413629_0427cba3a8.jpg
New sticker added
9028635302_e9339b05c3.jpg
New radio fitted
9026395231_a9f96aa756.jpg
Alloys bought
9026389375_ab6e1bb4df.jpg
Picked this up for £250 quid
9026378359_a0ef50b28b.jpg
9026328049_5c5cb6a4eb.jpg
Plugs changed
9026317639_ffe147a3e4.jpg
Picked up these too
9026299351_18fbb7f36d.jpg

artois7

I'm 20 and just insured a 1.6 GTI for £650 with 1 year NCB.

Go on moneysupermarket, put yourself as the main driver with two adult drivers as named. Elephant/Diamond/Bell/Admiral will come up cheapest (was around £800 for me) then click "go to site" and chose the 10 month policy instead of the 12 month to bring it down another £100 or so!

Krish

Quick update,

work on the pug has been very slow once again, due to many factors, trying to sell the white 1.9 and get that gone

The 1.6, oil change done, oil filter done, just need to do the fuel filter, fit the mudflaps, and the drivers side plastic shield behind the wheel then it's pretty much ready

when i refilled the oil i noticed this in the top, any suggestions?

12913225293_bd9ba38bc9.jpg

Daviewonder

Don't worry about it, it's more than likely condensation.

Krish

Don't worry about it, it's more than likely condensation.

Ahha good to hear :)

pugdamo

Looks very nice,as said thats probably condendation,yours looks good compared to mine and iv had mine for 5 years and it doesnt lose any water just short journeys cause it.

One job you need to do is put your petrol cap on the right way round,other than that keep up the good work

welshpug

You did know that your old k&n just needed a wash and re-oil right?

Krish

Looks very nice,as said thats probably condendation,yours looks good compared to mine and iv had mine for 5 years and it doesnt lose any water just short journeys cause it.

One job you need to do is put your petrol cap on the right way round,other than that keep up the good work

Cheers, It was already in good condition which is why this thread is no where near as big as others on here, there was nothing major to do, I will be going meets etc when I get insured and then I can cry at how it looks alongside others on here. Seriously there are some amazing ones on here, hopefully one day i can break into that category.

I think i've done the petrol cap since that picture, it's hard to work on as the car is stored elsewhere, just very lucky its indoors :)

You did know that your old k&n just needed a wash and re-oil right?

Nope didn't have a clue lol, it was the first 'mod' I've done to a car so just thought start new :P