• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
thrasher

Vtr Engine/hi Flow Head Will They Fit?

thrasher

hi there as title,my son now has the chance of a vtr engine as a young tourist over on holiday coundnt cope with all the twists and turns here and slammed into the golf club wall ha ha anyway it was third party and costs to much for him to come and get it,so will this fit into his tu engined 205? changeing inlet and exhaust manifolds etc and will a hi flow stage 3 head he got for his car that was of a 1400 engine fit the vtr engine.

cheers gus

bren_1.3

the 1600 bottom end will fit.

the head will fit.

compression issues maybe.

discussed alot in previous threads on here id imagine.

sorry buts its late and this is just to get the ball rolling...

thrasher
the 1600 bottom end will fit.

the head will fit.

compression issues maybe.

discussed alot in previous threads on here id imagine.

sorry buts its late and this is just to get the ball rolling...

thanks,been inspecting both engines closely,im thinking now of leaving the vtr head on as it looks like the distributor should fit on to vtr head once the blanking cover has been removed? as im fitting the dellorotos anyway,i have searched for this topic but couldnt find anything on it so my opologies if it has been discussed

Sandy

The distributor can be fitted with the end housing, but the carb manifold won't fit and the cam probably doesn't have a fuel pump lobe fitted. Converting the 205 to the VTR injection would in many ways be easier.

thrasher
The distributor can be fitted with the end housing, but the carb manifold won't fit and the cam probably doesn't have a fuel pump lobe fitted. Converting the 205 to the VTR injection would in many ways be easier.

thanks,but my son has set his heart on the dellorotos,,, would probably need to fit a facet fuel pump for the carbs anyway so that not a problem,and need a inlet manifold for the carbs so that would fix the inlet not fitting prob? i think i will just leave the vtr head on if this is goin to cause probs with the comp/ratio and ignition timing.

thanks ,

everbody has been really helpful,gus

thrasher
thanks,but my son has set his heart on the dellorotos,,, would probably need to fit a facet fuel pump for the carbs anyway so that not a problem,and need a inlet manifold for the carbs so that would fix the inlet not fitting prob? i think i will just leave the vtr head on if this is goin to cause probs with the comp/ratio and ignition timing.

thanks ,

everbody has been really helpful,gus

ok just spoke to andy at hi flow heads,hes going to fit there inlet manifold and set the dellorotos up onto the xs head and theres a couple of things he needs to do so that the xs head will fit the vtr bottom end,i think i was to much bother to leave vtr head on as the inlet studs are different,and you need to plug up injector holes,so will keep you informed how it goes,cheers gus

Sandy

I'm a bit concerned about the compression ratio of this combination, is it the silver top or black top VTR engine?

If it's the blacktop VTR engine, you'll get about 11.5:1 CR

If it's the silver top VTR engine, you'll get about 12.8:1 CR

The former will be high for distributor ignition which usually leads to a compromised set up to stop it pinking, the latter would be impractical without mapped ignition.

thrasher
I'm a bit concerned about the compression ratio of this combination, is it the silver top or black top VTR engine?

If it's the blacktop VTR engine, you'll get about 11.5:1 CR

If it's the silver top VTR engine, you'll get about 12.8:1 CR

The former will be high for distributor ignition which usually leads to a compromised set up to stop it pinking, the latter would be impractical without mapped ignition.

its the black top vtr, i mentioned this to andy at hi flow heads,he reckons on higher octane fuel to over come this or octane booster,he seemed to be very clued up on this type of thing,or would i be better of leaving vtr head on,can you get a inlet manifold for twin dellorotos for vtr head as the studs are different to the 1400 head?

Sandy

Ok, being black top isn't as risky. The VTR head is a better design generally and there is a Chadil inlet manifold for DCOEs on that bolt pattern, which is different yes; not a particularly nice design inlet manifold, but nicer than the Chadil TU3S one that's for sure.

thrasher
Ok, being black top isn't as risky. The VTR head is a better design generally and there is a Chadil inlet manifold for DCOEs on that bolt pattern, which is different yes; not a particularly nice design inlet manifold, but nicer than the Chadil TU3S one that's for sure.

ok where will i get this manifold?will the dizzy fit the vtr camshaft,ie will it still have drive groove or what ever drives the dizzy on end of camshaft? and will a tu3s camshaft fit the vtr head? sorry for all the questions its for my son and he has a limited budget,

Sandy

You'll have to measure the head journals, because two bearing sizes were used on the VTRs, one's the same as the TU3S, the other isn't!

The camshafts still had the dizzy slot on the later engines.

I don't know who imports the Chadil manifolds, it was about £200 when Rallye Sam bought his.

thrasher
You'll have to measure the head journals, because two bearing sizes were used on the VTRs, one's the same as the TU3S, the other isn't!

The camshafts still had the dizzy slot on the later engines.

I don't know who imports the Chadil manifolds, it was about £200 when Rallye Sam bought his.

ok,i have also discovered its a silver top engine,so i just want to leave the head on and go the route of geting a manifold for it,any problems i will deal with wnen they come up,and whats the difference between black/silver top,the engines out a v reg facelift,99/2000 i would imagine,and thanks for all your help so far andy

gus

Sandy

It depends which port spacing it is, there are two design for the silver top heads, early is the same as black top, late is more evenly spaced ports, rather than two pairs. The silver top heads have roller rockers, so the TU3S cam definitely isn't suitable. Any pictures??

thrasher
It depends which port spacing it is, there are two design for the silver top heads, early is the same as black top, late is more evenly spaced ports, rather than two pairs. The silver top heads have roller rockers, so the TU3S cam definitely isn't suitable. Any pictures??

no pics but will try get some up

Sign in to follow this