• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

Desperate Help Needed

johnnyboy666

i have a problem with the roland garros, and its making it virtually undrivable at the moment, it started ages ago, when the car was starting to shake under acceleration and the exhaust started to knock on the gear rod and various bits of heat sheild etc, so originally i thought it was the engine mounts so i purchsed a powerflex lower engine mount and also added another hanger for the exhaust to keep it steady (its the base model middle section with no hanger) and all was well for a good 6 months or so aside from a very small shake at certain revs but it was not enough for me to feel the need to do anything about it. then just recently it started to get worse, much worse, so i thought 'o it must be the other mounts' so i changed the one under the battery for a baker bm one, and it was absolutely perfect for about 100 miles. then on the motorway after quite a long journey its started to do it again and this time its fooking horrendous (are we seeing a trend here?) i literally had to stop at a service station cos i thought the wheels were about to fall off!!

and now i cant put my foot to the floor because all the power goes into shaking the car sideways, also cant take it on long journeys because its (seems) to get worse the further the journey.

so clearly by changing the engine mounts i have been masking a much bigger problem which has been getting worse, the only things i can think of is either the driveshafts are bent which ive tried to have a look at and they seem straight to me, or something that i'm overlooking

i need to drive the car on a 3 hour round trip on the saturday for work so i really need to get this fixed as soon as i can and i really cant afford to take it to the garage!!

please help!!

thanks in advance (and sorry for the long post)

john

swordfish210

have you tried just going on a massive torquing spree, i.e. torquing every bolt that you can get your hands on. Other than that i havent an idea mate. Sorry

johnnyboy666

anythings worth a try! i'll have to go get a torque wrench tomoro i suppose, any particular bolts that might cause this?

swordfish210

start with the obvious ones, top engine mount, subframe mounts and anything you have undone recently then work you way through all of them.

RossD

This could be more fundamental like an ignition or carb problem causing the vibrations. If the vibration is not there when you lift off the accelerator (I.e. coasting) then I'd say thats where your problem lies.

How old are the ignition leads? Is the timing spot on and the carb setup correctly? Also, just as an afterthought, are the gearbox \ bellhousing bolts tight?!

DamirGTI

Diff bearings maybe :wacko: it's common breakdown on base models MA boxes ...

Rgs ! B)

Damir

johnnyboy666

rossd: it doesnt seem to be ignition related as it has no problem putting out power, and only seems to shake when its put under load and i'll check the gearbox/ bellhousing bolts later today when ive got a torque wrench

damirgti: that does sound very feasable, is that an easy fix or is it new box time?

im not sure if this could be related but the gearbox seems to whine a little if you listen closely, maybe it is the gearbox??

hengti

could it be clutch related?

johnnyboy666

possibility, although there doesnt seem to be any slipping, or difficulty engaging gears?

johnnyboy666

right im at the end of my tether ive tightened every single bolt i can find, including the bell housing, and still not a slight bit of difference!!! this really does make driving my car agony!! somebody help!!

Tom Fenton

Something final drive related, diff bearings/inner cv joint etc.

johnnyboy666

so assuming inner cv joint that would mean a new driveshaft needed? about £90 from pug or £51 from tinterweb

can diff bearing be replaced or is it new gearbox time? not that i can find one anywhere!!

swordfish210

if it was the diff bearings then it's quicker to change the gearbox than to replace them

DamirGTI
damirgti: that does sound very feasable, is that an easy fix or is it new box time?

As said , in this case it'll be easier/cheaper to obtain an second hand gearbox ... :blink:

Rgs !

Damir

johnnyboy666

hmm easier said than done! i cant find a gearbox anywhere, none on ebay, none at the local scrappies, the only ones i can find are recon ones for about £325!! which needless to say being a student i cant afford! is there any other box thats a straight swap that i mightve overlooked?

Jrod

I've got a good box here you can have cheap, its got the longer ratios so not as sporty but perfect for motorways etc.

£30 + £20 delivery.

Edited by Jrod

johnnyboy666

i may well snatch your arm off on that one, i'll have to go and check me funds tomoro and i'll get back to you, mines a roland garros anyway so im used to the longer ratios. out of curiosity what model is it off??

Jrod

I'm not sure, I bought it as an XS one but it wasn't! Was about 80@4000rpm

johnnyboy666

sounds the same as the one ive got at the moment, i'll check in a bit (on a private road of course)

kyepan

does the gear stick wobble at the same time? if so it could be driveshaft related.

danpug

Your garros box has the same ratio's as an xs box. Jrods box would get you out of the crap for now till you find an xs box, assuming it is a box/diff issue that is.

Sign in to follow this