• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Casanova

Changing Piston Rings - How Much Hassle/expense?

Casanova

As above - I have my engine split on the garage floor and am wondering how hard it would be to fit new piston rings. Is there an easy way of seeing if they need changing? I've never taken a bottom end apart before but am not averse if it needs doing. Are they the kind of thing I'd have to buy from the main stealer at great expense? Or should I just not bother...

§

Casanova

Actually scratch that - have just been looking through the Haynes and decided I really don't want to go there. I think the bottom end's fine, anyway, so no need to delay the reassembly.

§

swordfish210

no point changing the rings if you arn't going to change the liners as they'll never seal properly. You should be able to buy a piston+liner+rod+rings combonation from the stealers anyhow.

Ahl
no point changing the rings if you arn't going to change the liners as they'll never seal properly. You should be able to buy a piston+liner+rod+rings combonation from the stealers anyhow.

That's absolutely NOT true.

If the liners aren't wildly worn (and 1.9 mi16 liners don't seem to wear much) they can be lightly honed to match the new rings.

It is pretty nutty (and expensive) to suggest new pistons, liners and rods too!

swordfish210

I belive that my lectuer at college who has been building race engines for over 30 years with various companies, including one of his own, would disagree with you.

Ahl

He might disagree, but he'd be wrong. In this case, and probably most cases when rebuilding engines, unless they have done stellar mileage.

I know you're only trying to help, but please try not to take third party information at face value - it spreads misinformation and we have enough eejits on the forum trying to do this already. If you don't really KNOW something, then don't post, let someone else do it instead.

That is my polite reply btw!

Sandy

If the liners still measure ok and the pistons aren't damaged, a light hone will be fine with new rings, I've done it many times successfully. Refurbishing the original liners in many cases will be easier than fitting pattern replacements, from bitter experience!

swordfish210
I know you're only trying to help, but please try not to take third party information at face value

OK i'll start by not taking your advice.

jackherer
OK i'll start by not taking your advice.

Ahl is a moderator so his 'advice' about posting is compulsory.

From the rules:

- when it comes to technical information and guideance, think twice before you hit

the "submit" button - make sure that information and knowledge you are about to

share is either first hand or verified fact. hear-say and deliberate missinformation

will not be tolerated. "guessing" (within reasonable limits) is allowed if it helps

finding an answer

Sign in to follow this