• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

Driveshaft Swapping

johnnyboy666

right im going to be changing my driveshafts to try and resolve my shaking problem, just a few questions beforehand as ive never done it before, firstly other than the driveshafts themselves is there any parts that i'll need to replace? oil seals or something? and secondly how long will it take roughly? and any pointers would be appreciated too

also the driveshafts will be used items if that makes a difference?

thanks

john

jeremy

Firstly have you checked your track rod ends as I did exactly what you did, only to find it was a track rod end that took fifteen mins to change instead of the several hours doing both shafts first.

Good luck

Jeremy

j_turnell

As above i take it you have checked other things first, such as steering, wheel bearings, wheel balancing.

Youll need 2l of gearbox oil, may aswell do the driveshaft seals, a small pry bar is useful to get the old ones out, thats about it should take no longer than an hour. Intermediate bearings can be awkward often a tap with a hammer and chisel is needed to push the shaft out with the two 11mm nuts undone and L shaped bolts twisted.

30-32mm for 1.6, 35mm for 1.9 hubnut.

christopher
As above i take it you have checked other things first, such as steering, wheel bearings, wheel balancing.

Youll need 2l of gearbox oil, may aswell do the driveshaft seals, a small pry bar is useful to get the old ones out, thats about it should take no longer than an hour. Intermediate bearings can be awkward often a tap with a hammer and chisel is needed to push the shaft out with the two 11mm nuts undone and L shaped bolts twisted.

30-32mm for 1.6, 35mm for 1.9 hubnut.

Good advice above.. I would also replace the hub nuts if you end up taking the driveshafts out

Jrod

Personally I wouldn't bother changing anything other than the shafts as it might not solve the problem and it will just be money wasted. If it does you can go back later and do it.

johnnyboy666

cheers for that guys! ive got some driveshafts for beer tokens off a mate so thats no problem, as for track rods ends, they looked fine before but will check more extensively later

kyepan

might be worth changing the driveshaft oil seals, check to see if their leaking by looking for oil leaking off the diff, if they're ok just be careful not to damage them when removing or replacing the shafts, also the shafts might need a little persuasion to release from the diff. and also make sure you hold the shaft by the inner cv joint when removing it, otherwise it will come apart.

johnnyboy666

right, so ive taken the shafts off the donor car today, couldnt get the itermediate bearing bit on the long shaft out of the housing to save my life so just took the whole lower engine mount off with it. one of the cv joints needs a new gaitorso i'll have to get one tomoro, along with gearbox oil, i think i may change the track rod ends also as they look a little old, is there anything else worth changing whilst im at it?

it looks to me like the problem could be a lack of oil seal on the longer driveshaft as on the one i just took off the donor had a rubber seal butted up against the gearbox whereas the one on my car slides down the shaft i noticed. does that sound feasable?

Baz

The shaft is removed from the lower mount housing by undoing the 2 11mm nuts, the head of the bolts are eliptical, need to be pushed back and turned 180d so the shaft can be released, sometimes needs a tap to release the inter/ bearing from the housing too.

That rubber thing isn't totally necessary no, it isn't actually a seal.

Edited by Baz

johnnyboy666

i did undo those bolts and turn them 180 degrees but didnt seem to make a difference, i'll try again when i swap them.

Sign in to follow this