• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Kitch

Tu3 To Tu5 Conv Q's

Kitch

Got an old 106 XSi I plan to use as a track car, which I recently bought with a shagged bottom end.....exhaust manifold was loose which burnt and blew edge of H/G causing oil loss which in turn didn't show up on pressure lamp because plug was melted due to leaky exhaust. Oil loss caused it to wreck it's own big ends. Amazing what hassle a gasket and some new studs can save! Anyway, that was all my gain, because I got it very cheap!

I've now fitted a blacktop VTR bottom end to the existing XSi setup. I've read good and bad about doing this already, but decided to find out for myself. Got it all fitted in yesterday and got it running.

Now I'm using XSi management, head with cam and gearbox etc...but with VTR injectors. I'm told I need a 3.5 FPR but as yet haven't found one so I'm using one from the VTR which was 3.0bar, like the XSi.

Basically it's running rough. It starts up fine an starts to fast idle, before dying. I know there are various vacuum hoses which need to be routed but I can't remember where they go, and the pictures I took before I started weren't clear enough! It's also blowing blue smoke everywhere. I'm worried this is because the engine I've bought has shagged piston rings, but hoping it's related to the vacuum hoses.

Would anyone have any diagrams as to where it all goes? And has anyone on here done this conversion before? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts!

Cheers

allanallen

vtr bottom ends with xsi heads are very high commpression and the inlet valves are quite close to hitting the pistons. my brother (calvinhorse) is using this setup but with a larger cam and pocketed pistons. hes also using carbs and mapped ignition because of the high CR.

why are you using the vtr injectors? is the car originally a 1600 or 1400? your engine now is basically a higher compression 1600 xsi

not sure about your vaccum hoses but they shouldn't make it blue smoke. blue smoke could be due to swapping the head and leaving some oil in the bores, this will burn off after its been run a bit. It could be shagged rings/bores though like you mention.

on another note, we used a vtr bottom end with an 205xs head carb and dizzy and it went like stink, but it didn't last very long :) .

if you need some 1600 xsi injectors or ecu to try (if theres any difference) give me a shout

Kitch

Sorry, I didn't make that clear enough. It was a 1400 XSi. I fitted the VTR injectors along with the bottom end.

The engine seems really eager. Haven't gone far, but it goes like stink! Just worrying about the smoke really. I did get WD40 all over the place while cleaning, but thought that should have burnt off by now!

Kitch

Blue smoke has gone from what I can see! Must have got some oil somewhere it wasn't supposed to be when I put it back together :ph34r:

Sign in to follow this