• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ALEX

[car_restoration] Cti Restoration

ALEX

I finished the gearbox too, but the pics didn't come out so good.

I'll take more when its in.

post-2783-0-01242200-1348006477_thumb.jpg

ALEX

Have I got the SAD the right way round?

I'll figure it out eventually when I come to pipe it up, but It might be burried and hard to get to by then.

post-2783-0-40187200-1350230350_thumb.jpg

post-2783-0-19099400-1350230339_thumb.jpg

Edited by ALEX
  • Like 1

Tom Fenton

Well it all looks super as always. Have you left the block and gearbox in bare alloy or painted them?

• Like 1

welshpug

Can't quite see the sad but you should have the plug end facing forwards.

Edited by welshpug

Henry Yorke

Looks superb Alex. I'd stick some tissue in the inlet ports too to protect like you did with the spark plug holes.

I'm guessing you are going for a polished inlet too?

Miles

I'm going to wreck your project and say your gearbox has been replaced, You'll see the date stamp on the case as all the CTi had the Crank sensor hole in them and a pin selector arm not the bolted ones, Should be around 1985 case with the plugs in there

Edited by Miles

max0
:wub: Looks amazing.

ALEX

I'm going to wreck your project and say your gearbox has been replaced, You'll see the date stamp on the case as all the CTi had the Crank sensor hole in them and a pin selector arm not the bolted ones, Should be around 1985 case with the plugs in there

Not two bothered about it been a concourse replica of the original as it came out of the factory. I plan on using it 6 months a year, not tucking it away for 3 sundays a year, personally I see it as a waste when they do that.

But well spotted. Maybe you could help me out here http://forum.205gtid...howtopic=144619 as the whole engine is now a cocktail of bits with possibly a B6A head ( I'm trying to identify so the engine timing is right for the distributor and AFM) on a B6E block.

Looks superb Alex. I'd stick some tissue in the inlet ports too to protect like you did with the spark plug holes.

I'm guessing you are going for a polished inlet too?

The inlet is already fitted, is it not on the last pic? It;s only vapour blasted though. The cam cover is chromed! The inlet might be a little too expensive to have done.

Plugged the spark plug holes after learning the hard way on my last build!

I was turning the engine by hand to get oil round it but Id dropped an M6 nut down one. Wondering why it would turn only half a turn Id stripped most of the engine before I found it.

Can't quite see the sad but you should have the plug end facing forwards.

I had a 50 50 chance and got it right! cool thanks.

Thanks for the comments everyone, not finished yet though, I'll keep this updated.

Tom. Bare alloy block, head, gearbox and inlet maniflold. All vapour blasted finish.

Never had much luck with painted blocks, seems to flake off or look worse than before the rebuild after a year or so.

Blasterers recommend I spray the engine for winter with WD40 or simmilar to keep it looking fresh.

My last one stayed looking good for about 3 years before it started looking a bit shabby, never sprayed it once.

Edited by ALEX

Tom Fenton

It looks great, perhaps Frost's diamond clear lacquer for bare metal could do a good job for you? Petrol resistant and OK up to 150 degrees temperature.

Rippthrough

The discs look like there painted, I had some genuine pug gti6 discs that were painted

Bit late to the party but that's usually actually a conversion coating rather than paint, it just looks like it - i.e, no resins in it to interfere with the pads.

And how the hell did I miss this project? Certainly going to be tidy when it's done!

Edited by Rippthrough

Miles

Does look like a late head, timing wise just play it by ear, There's a date stamp on the back of the block too, not easy to fine when in thou, And again on top or inside the cam cover if orginal still

ALEX

Got the 4 toyo Proxes for £240, which I didn't think was bad.

Ended up paying £210 as the tyre place ruined a wheel! <_< had to get one recoated again and all the balance weights fell off! :angry:

Sorted now though!

post-2783-0-20858400-1354441769_thumb.jpg

Wasn't too sure if I got these two pipes the right way round where they connect to the engine.

post-2783-0-06272900-1354441781_thumb.jpg

ALEX

Wheres this bit go?

I think it fixes to the block to hold the wiring for the injectors under the inlet manifold, there's a spare bolt hole for it on the engine block.

post-2783-0-66523800-1354442157_thumb.jpg

The wiring is progressing.....well-ish :(

post-2783-0-03556700-1354442268_thumb.jpg

Edited by ALEX

Miles

The bracket fits in front of the Fuel Filter, The ECU Loom clips onto it

ALEX

Arr thanks it's all comming back to me now!.

I remember removing a very rusty bracket for the loom on the engine under the inlet though. (either this engine or one that I butchered for spares)

There's even a clip still attached around that part of the loom for the injectors.

Miles

The inlet one has 2 holes, one for the middle stud and one for the loom , more of a 'L' shaped one

McDude

This project continues to be absolutely amazing - this is going to be one lovely pug.

ALEX

post-2783-0-91756800-1358093631_thumb.jpg

post-2783-0-87754500-1358093642_thumb.jpg

post-2783-0-74572500-1358093650_thumb.jpg

Photos are blurry cos its cold and i couldn't stop dithering.

That and it's a phone cmera, I'll take better ones when its finished.

Edited by ALEX
  • Like 1

cocopops2001

Sexy as F**K. Where did you get the engine hoses from? As one big kit or did you buy each part seperately?

ALEX

Sexy as F**K. Where did you get the engine hoses from? As one big kit or did you buy each part seperately?

BBM

2 kits, water and air.