• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

TAG

Mi16 Ignition Module And Coil Wiring Help Needed (Bx Loom)

TAG

Hi all, I'm in the final stages of fitting a 1.9 Mi16 into my 205, and will be using a BX loom.

I'm happy with the rest of the loom, but there are a few loose connectors on the Ignition Module/Coil loom that I'm unsure of. The wiring not being numbered doesn't help!

Please see the attached photo.

I'm unsure of the following connections:

There's a small black connector coming from Pin4 of the coil, what is this connected to?

There's also a blue space connector in the middle of the loom, this is connected between Pin1 of the Coil and Pin4 of the Ign.Module.

There's a yellow wire with a spade (looks the same as found in the 9 and 6 pin brown plugs) this is connected to Pin3 of the Coil, and also connects to Pin27 of the ECU. Does this need to go to the ignition barrel for a switched live?

There is also a brown wire with a ring terminal on it, I'm fairly sure this is the earth for the Ignition module.

Any help is appreciated, thanks,Tom.

​​36160303006_a59d618d90_c.jpgDSC_7313 by Tom Gibbs, on Flickr

pug_ham

Tom, you are right that the brown wire from the ignition module is the earth wire. I remember trouble shooting someones Mi conversion with a no spark fault a few years ago & this wire had been left hanging unconnected.

As soon as I connected it to the chassis, the car fired & ran first try.

I seem to remember this is shown on the BX haynes wiring diagram to confirm this, if you have this it should also help you find what the other wires are for.

The black connector on the coil plug is a spare wire, same as on the later inlet mounted coils on the 205 GTI & doesn't connect to anything.

Without the diagrams I can't be certain on the other wires and I think my BX Haynes manual is at my workshop so I can't check but I also think I have them in pdf format somewhere too, I'll have a look when get chance or fire up my laptop with autodata on & look on the diagrams in there.

I think my BX Haynes manual is at my workshop so I can't check but I also think I have them in pdf format somewhere too, I'll have a look when get chance or fire up my laptop with autodata on & look on the diagrams in there.

Ryan

There's a small black connector coming from Pin4 of the coil, what is this connected to?

This one is for a suppression capacitor. It stops the ignition for making a buzzing noise over the radio. Not needed unless you have that problem.

There is also a brown wire with a ring terminal on it, I'm fairly sure this is the earth for the Ignition module.

This is an earth. I have it screwed to the alloy plate the ignition module is mounted on, but any earth will do.

There's also a blue space connector in the middle of the loom, this is connected between Pin1 of the Coil and Pin4 of the Ign.Module.

There's a yellow wire with a spade (looks the same as found in the 9 and 6 pin brown plugs) this is connected to Pin3 of the Coil, and also connects to Pin27 of the ECU. Does this need to go to the ignition barrel for a switched live?

Are the pin numbers correct for these two? Pin 1 of the coil should be the tacho output (green wire iirc) and not connected to anything else.

This is the wiring diagram I have:

post-5273-0-18953100-1501181230.png

petert

Factory diagram (3 row ECU).

post-2864-0-97701200-1501190808_thumb.png

Edited by petert

TAG

Hi all, thanks very much for the replies.

I think I have it sussed now.

The loose yellow wire needs to be fed switched 12V, as this is the input to the ecu (pin 27) and the coil.

The loose brown wire needs to be earthed.

The blue spade connector in the middle of the loom is the tacho feed (as it's on the negative side of the coil)

Small connector near the coil plug will not be connected (it's been a long time since the car had a radio in it!)

Just for reference, I found this page with some good info on the Motronic 1.3 system:

http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/index.php/Motronic_1.3

Thanks again,

Tom