• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rippthrough

Car Won't Idle - But Only When Its Warm?

Rippthrough

Anyone had a similar problem to save me replacing bits on a 'hope and see' basis. Basically, the car will idle fine when cold, but after a couple of minutes of driving, it suddenly won't idle, it drops to 500rpm, the lights dim and it cuts out. Give it another 5 minutes and it's back to working perfectly again?! :)

It's had a new temp sensor, checked and cleaned all the electrical connections, plugs and leads, lambda sensor diagnostics say everything is fine there. Any guesses? I was thinking maybe the coil pack, but it seems to run fine in the rest of the rev. range no matter what the temperature :ph34r:

hengti

maybe check that the cap on the AFM is sealed on - ?

Rippthrough
maybe check that the cap on the AFM is sealed on - ?

What AFM? :)

It's running monomotronic management.

hengti

sorry - i'm not familiar with your car ...

Rippthrough
sorry - i'm not familiar with your car ...

Yeah, got me head scratching there :D

time to rip the lot out and finally install the MS I think.

Guest BrainFluid

Could there be a bad earth somewhere? Somewhere where when its getting warm its lowering the nessacery ammont of current need?

Just a thought.

Rippthrough
Could there be a bad earth somewhere? Somewhere where when its getting warm its lowering the nessacery ammont of current need?

Just a thought.

Checked all the earths in the engine bay that I could find - what I can understand is it going back to running fine when it's fully warmed up!

rapide
Checked all the earths in the engine bay that I could find - what I can understand is it going back to running fine when it's fully warmed up!

My car had these symptoms a few months back. Turned out to be air leaks. Replaced the gasket on the manifold and it cured it completely

Rippthrough
My car had these symptoms a few months back. Turned out to be air leaks. Replaced the gasket on the manifold and it cured it completely

Checked the gasket and re-torqued the manifold - still the same, my car has PFTE manifold/throttle body gaskets.

Sign in to follow this